News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

WTF, Obama?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 30, 2013, 09:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/30/17988200-obama-pledges-to-re-engage-on-gitmo-amid-hunger-strike?lite

QuotePresident Barack Obama – who began his presidency by signing an executive order requiring the closing of the terrorist detention center at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba – pledged Tuesday to renew his efforts to close the facility, where 100 of the 166 detainees are now involved in a weeks-long hunger strike.

"I don't want these individuals to die," Obama said. "Obviously the Pentagon is trying to manage the situation as best as they can. But I think all of us should reflect on why exactly are we doing this. Why are we doing this?"

PERHAPS YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED YOURSELF THAT IN 2008, JACKASS.
\
:cluephone:

SOMETHING SOMETHING CLOSING IT DOWN AFTER FIRST BEING ELECTED SOMETHING SOMETHING.
\
:nigel:

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Salty

Yeah. No fucking joke.

It's amazing just how little good news actually does. Recent history becomes something like an oil stain underneath a dead, dead car.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on April 30, 2013, 09:20:38 PM
Yeah. No fucking joke.

It's amazing just how little good news actually does. Recent history becomes something like an oil stain underneath a dead, dead car.

Well, it's more that 5 years of waiting for him to grow a nutsack and do his job sort of ruins the effect.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What exactly is the big holdup to closing that shit down?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 30, 2013, 09:22:06 PM

Bush's 3rd & 4th terms is what.

LMNO

I'm guessing the "oh shit we just radicalized a shitload of Islamists, and now we're going to release them into the Free Press wilderness."

Salty

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 30, 2013, 09:22:06 PM

Freedom, I believe. And the American Way.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Cain

The Senate will cry, is the main objection.

Or at least, Obama would have you believe it is the main objection.  In fact, that most of these prisoners can never be tried in civilian courts, due to the conditions they were kept in (ie; torture) and so would have to be let free is what the biggest concern is.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on April 30, 2013, 10:25:01 PM
The Senate will cry, is the main objection.

Or at least, Obama would have you believe it is the main objection.  In fact, that most of these prisoners can never be tried in civilian courts, due to the conditions they were kept in (ie; torture) and so would have to be let free is what the biggest concern is.

The moral thing to do, then, is to man up and let them go.

But this is America, and we don't do morals or principles.

Cain

Of course. In fact, that they've become tortured becomes yet another argument to detain them further, because, so the argument goes: even if they were innocent when they came in, they will come out hating America because of what happened to them.  So they must be detained.

That's the argument in it's most obvious and blatant form, of course.  It's rarely stated with such....directness.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on April 30, 2013, 10:46:52 PM
Of course. In fact, that they've become tortured becomes yet another argument to detain them further, because, so the argument goes: even if they were innocent when they came in, they will come out hating America because of what happened to them.  So they must be detained.

That's the argument in it's most obvious and blatant form, of course.  It's rarely stated with such....directness.

"We had to create our enemies in order to defeat them." - United States of America

tyrannosaurus vex

Meanwhile Obama appoints a former ISP lobbyist to head the FCC.

Our illustrious Commander in Chief, who can't seem to find the authority in his Constitutionally-mandated role as supreme leader of our armed forces to shut down a military installation, has nevertheless found the authority sell off the FCC to the highest bidder. So much for net neutrality.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Trivial

I found billing codes from my company for Guantanamo.  Good times.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.