News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

I R STOOPID

Started by hooplala, May 01, 2013, 07:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 21, 2014, 03:39:32 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 20, 2014, 04:20:01 AM
I'd say there's a difference between a well constructed effort (the memes, a sketch, one of Dok's lengthy set-ups (the Soul Coughing one you did a while back was GENIUS)) and a thread that's just one hastily thrown pun after another.

What pisses me off is when puns require the word to be changed.  It's crap, even when it's a one-off.

Oh god. When it's a literal stretch. Painful.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Rev. Mondo Anvil

In case you want to do research, the phenomenon this thread was originally about is called the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
Hail Eris!

"If Internet Exlorer can be brave enough to ask you if you want to make it your default browser, you're brave enough to ask that girl out." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

"Seems legit. Sounds Lincoln enough." -- Adolf Hitler, 1933

"Can confirm, was there." -- Adam Weishaupt, 1791

"Lorem ipsum dolor est." -- Seneca, 33

"That's not even real Latin." -- Friedrich Nietzsche, 1880

"Nietzsche? What are you doing here? You still owe me 10 bucks." -- Yahweh, 1880

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Rev. Mondo Anvil on December 23, 2014, 01:20:18 PM
In case you want to do research, the phenomenon this thread was originally about is called the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

REALLY?  YOU DON'T SAY. 
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

We've only been discussing that very thing since 2008.  It's a good thing we had a genius to wade into us dunces and tell us about Dunning-Kruger.
Molon Lube

Rev. Mondo Anvil

Hail Eris!

"If Internet Exlorer can be brave enough to ask you if you want to make it your default browser, you're brave enough to ask that girl out." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

"Nietzsche? What are you doing here? You still owe me 10 bucks." -- Yahweh, 1880

Rev. Mondo Anvil

Just trying to help. At least I'm correct, unlike quite a lot of people. But then again, everything is true, even false things.
Hail Eris!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Rev. Mondo Anvil on December 23, 2014, 02:25:45 PM
At least I'm correct, unlike quite a lot of people.

You just busted my irony meter.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev. Mondo Anvil on December 23, 2014, 01:20:18 PM

And here we have an excellent example of it in action.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The funniest thing about it is that Johnny mentioned Dunning & Kruger on page 1 of this thread. :lol:

Hey Anvil, you might want to research this phenomenon: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SGitR

LMNO

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 23, 2014, 03:14:38 PM
The funniest thing about it is that Johnny mentioned Dunning & Kruger on page 1 of this thread. :lol:

Hey Anvil, you might want to research this phenomenon: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SGitR

Ok, that's priceless.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 23, 2014, 03:34:46 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 23, 2014, 03:14:38 PM

Ok, that's priceless.

Isn't it kind of gorgeous?

hooplala

It's the thread that keeps on giving!
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on December 23, 2014, 06:05:09 PM
It's the thread that keeps on giving!

It's like a fucking assembly line.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm enjoying this thread quite a lot. :lol:

On-topic, I have another book to add to my recommended reading list about wrongness: it's called Mistakes Were Made (but not by me) and it's about the cognitive biases and self-deception we develop to reduce the cognitive dissonance of being wrong; the phenomenon that allows us to be blissful dumbasses and complete hypocrites while secure in a comforting belief that we are absolutely right and beyond reproach.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman