News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

I R STOOPID

Started by hooplala, May 01, 2013, 07:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

And small children, for whom puns are a valuable exercise.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

QueenThera

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 20, 2014, 02:39:56 AM
And children's book authors, who help show children how puns work?
Often incoherent. Tends to ramble on about various topics.
Hopes to get beyond that.

Formerly BrotherPrickle

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: BrotherPrickle on December 20, 2014, 02:41:23 AM

Language play of any kind is a completely legitimate game for everyone who works with small children.

My, my, but someone seems a little defensive about puns.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You might just want to try to limit it when you're around people who have a mental sophistication that exceeds that of your average 7-year-old.

QueenThera

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 20, 2014, 02:45:27 AM

Language play of any kind is a completely legitimate game for everyone who works with small children.

Mostly because I like to read classic children's lit and watch cartoons. I won't deny the groan reflex, but I believe in art. And puns are one form of art.

Plus I am not certain a groan at a pun is a universal constant. I think I read somewhere Japan has a great love for puns. But I need to read more about this.

Formerly BrotherPrickle

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: BrotherPrickle on December 20, 2014, 02:49:56 AM

Mostly because I like to read classic children's lit and watch cartoons. I won't deny the groan reflex, but I believe in art. And puns are one form of art.

Plus I am not certain a groan at a pun is a universal constant. I think I read somewhere Japan has a great love for puns. But I need to read more about this.

You seem to be a believer in many things which you have not researched.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Serious question -- forgive me if I have asked this before -- are you a child?

Doktor Howl

I reserve the right to occasionally crack juvenile jokes.  Puns, toilet humor, etc.

It is infuriating when done constantly, though.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 20, 2014, 03:20:21 AM

I reserve the right to occasionally crack juvenile jokes.  Puns, toilet humor, etc.

It is infuriating when done constantly, though.

It's really just a matter of degrees, there's no absolute cutoff. Wordplay and childish humor is funny sometimes, it's just not funny all the time, and not only is there a lot of in-between area, but it becomes quickly tiresome and kind of sad when that is the only humor of which someone is capable. At least if they're an adult.

LMNO

I'd say there's a difference between a well constructed effort (the memes, a sketch, one of Dok's lengthy set-ups (the Soul Coughing one you did a while back was GENIUS)) and a thread that's just one hastily thrown pun after another.

QueenThera

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 20, 2014, 03:08:09 AM

Yes, a flaw I admit to freely. :lulz: I do promise to research more fully in the morning after sleeping a few more hours.

But as to whether I'm a child? I'm 26 years old. Have I, er, been overstepping obvious bounds?

Formerly BrotherPrickle

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: BrotherPrickle on December 20, 2014, 05:06:41 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 20, 2014, 03:08:09 AM

Yes, a flaw I admit to freely. :lulz: I do promise to research more fully in the morning after sleeping a few more hours.

But as to whether I'm a child? I'm 26 years old. Have I, er, been overstepping obvious bounds?

No, I just wanted to know whether it would be appropriate for me to treat you more gently. I tend to be nicer to children when they say things that are poorly thought out, because, well, they're children.

LMNO

Nigel, you are one cold shade-throwing piece of work.  Masterful, one might say.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 20, 2014, 04:20:01 AM
I'd say there's a difference between a well constructed effort (the memes, a sketch, one of Dok's lengthy set-ups (the Soul Coughing one you did a while back was GENIUS)) and a thread that's just one hastily thrown pun after another.

What pisses me off is when puns require the word to be changed.  It's crap, even when it's a one-off.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 21, 2014, 02:50:47 AM
Nigel, you are one cold shade-throwing piece of work.  Masterful, one might say.

:thanks: