News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

I R STOOPID

Started by hooplala, May 01, 2013, 07:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

I probably had some dyscalculia, I could check something three times and keep making the same stupid mistake. I just sucked at math. They didn't test me for retardation because I was reading way ahead of my grade level. I could read anything at all by fourth or fifth grade. They used to split us kids into groups, so the reading comprehension thing got me stuck in the smart group - with the hard math, which made for some F's and a lot of "Why don't you at least try??? speeches.

I'm lucky it was a long time ago, since it stopped at speeches. Teachers making speeches at undiagnosed kids might not be ideal, but it beats whatever the schools would come up with nowadays.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: stelz on June 01, 2013, 09:11:28 AM
I probably had some dyscalculia, I could check something three times and keep making the same stupid mistake. I just sucked at math. They didn't test me for retardation because I was reading way ahead of my grade level. I could read anything at all by fourth or fifth grade. They used to split us kids into groups, so the reading comprehension thing got me stuck in the smart group - with the hard math, which made for some F's and a lot of "Why don't you at least try??? speeches.

I'm lucky it was a long time ago, since it stopped at speeches. Teachers making speeches at undiagnosed kids might not be ideal, but it beats whatever the schools would come up with nowadays.

Jail, for "insubordination".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 01, 2013, 06:16:54 PM

Jail, for "insubordination".

Yeah.  :x
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Left

I always got "she's not working to her potential."  Well, no, but if my parents hadn't been nuts, maybe I would have.
I can read a clock-face (9th grade), and can now tell my right hand from my left. 
I STILL tend to have to think very hard about which way to turn a bolt when attempting car repair, especially when underneath the car, as I start thinking "my left? or the car's left?"
I probably can't ever run a cash register at a store with any kind of high traffic.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Doktor Howl

Quote from: AFK on May 02, 2013, 05:11:07 AM
But then there is the conundrum where everyone is telling you that you are really smart, intelligent, etc., AND they are expecting you to fix shit and get shit done.  You certainly can have humility and acknowledge that you have limits and are of course fallible.  But when you have people depending on you, at some level you do have to take the mantle and run with it, that's just leadership.  If you don't, then you have a bunch of directionless, fearful people on your hands with sads.

I just thought I'd bump this little gem.
Molon Lube

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 18, 2014, 01:06:13 PM
But then there is the conundrum where everyone is telling you that you are really smart, intelligent, etc., AND they are expecting you to fix shit and get shit done.  You certainly can have humility and acknowledge that you have limits and are of course fallible.  But when you have people depending on you, at some level you do have to take the mantle and run with it, that's just leadership.  If you don't, then you have a bunch of directionless, fearful people on your hands with sads.

He really was a piece of work.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 02, 2013, 06:26:04 PM
If you can't take a 3 week vacation without your department falling apart, you're not even a leader at all, you're a dispatcher.

I double dog dare you.  Do a three week tour of New England.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 18, 2014, 01:38:46 PM
If you can't take a 3 week vacation without your department falling apart, you're not even a leader at all, you're a dispatcher.

It bears thinking about.  I have 4 weeks vacation.

The problem isn't that the crew needs leadership...They're pros.  What they need is someone to run interference for them, because when I'm gone, EVERYONE THINKS THEY'RE THE MAINTENANCE MANAGER.  And while several of them are capable of stepping up to provide that interference, none of them WANT to. 

Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 18, 2014, 02:06:15 PM

The problem isn't that the crew needs leadership...They're pros.  What they need is someone to run interference for them, because when I'm gone, EVERYONE THINKS THEY'RE THE MAINTENANCE MANAGER.  And while several of them are capable of stepping up to provide that interference, none of them WANT to.

DO IT! I will make delicious foods!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 18, 2014, 02:08:31 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 18, 2014, 02:06:15 PM

DO IT! I will make delicious foods!

Well, let me see.  I have promised my wife a week in Portland (because she's weird and likes that kinda shit), and that leaves the desired 3 weeks, but that would leave no wiggle room for mental health days.

What I could do is combine the two trips, which would have the added benefit of saving air fare on one leg.
Molon Lube

LMNO

You could do the "PORTLAND TO PORTLAND" tour, Oregon to Maine (with a few side trips).

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 18, 2014, 02:15:10 PM
You could do the "PORTLAND TO PORTLAND" tour, Oregon to Maine (with a few side trips).

I don't ever want to go to Portland, Maine.  I picture it as the inverse Portland, where there isn't even any proper doom, just endless amounts of crappy beer and crappy people and nothing ever goes right and I don't LIKE anyone and there's RWHN all over my shoes, screaming about "protecting our assets and it's like the Reagan years NEVER ENDED.
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 18, 2014, 02:17:41 PM

I don't ever want to go to Portland, Maine.  I picture it as the inverse Portland, where there isn't even any proper doom, just endless amounts of crappy beer and crappy people and nothing ever goes right and I don't LIKE anyone and there's RWHN all over my shoes, screaming about "protecting our assets and it's like the Reagan years NEVER ENDED.

This is EXACTLY correct. Although you left out the part where people eat giant sea insects for some reason.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 18, 2014, 02:19:51 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 18, 2014, 02:17:41 PM

This is EXACTLY correct. Although you left out the part where people eat giant sea insects for some reason.

I lived in Newfoundland.  Lobster is only the beginning.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 18, 2014, 01:06:13 PM

:lulz: Oh my god.

The first time I read it I think I just closed my eyes, hoping that it would go away and that he wasn't REALLY that guy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."