News:

PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

Po'Bucker Bait.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, May 07, 2013, 06:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Ah, so you've seen the Liverpool-Everton Derby then?

Incidentally, Liverpool is a special place. I once saw a child throw a snowball at a car there. The driver proceeded to exit the vehicle (He was stopped.In heavy snow.) and deliver an astonishing backhander. I think we all learned something. I learned Mondeo drivers hate snowballs.

As to the other thing, that explains a lot. It's a pretty monkey thing to want to be part of a group that has it better than another group, regardless of how many more have it better than you. "I'd rather be OK than help you fuck over the guy who's screwing us both"
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 07, 2013, 08:17:48 PM
Ah, so you've seen the Liverpool-Everton Derby then?

Incidentally, Liverpool is a special place. I once saw a child throw a snowball at a car there. The driver proceeded to exit the vehicle (He was stopped) and deliver an astonishing backhander. I think we all learned something. I learned Mondeo drivers hate snowballs.

As to the other thing, that explains a lot. It's a pretty monkey thing to want to be part of a group that has it better than another group, regardless of how many more have it better than you. "I'd rather be OK than help you fuck over the guy who's screwing us both"

Liverpool was a blast.

And yeah, that method is how the White aristocracy in the South managed to get the po'buckers to fight our civil war, which would guarantee that the po'buckers were locked into their social class.

Because they had a strata beneath them.  That's all they cared about.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Sad article. You'd think the steroid shots to delay birth and the antibiotics to prevent umbilical cord infections would be no brainers. On the other hand, I heard doctors at a free clinic tell some pregnant teens they don't need prenatal care because their bodies supply everything since they're so young. Which was stupid, and I said so. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Aucoq

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 07, 2013, 07:52:25 PM
QuoteBangladesh is one success story – it has has reduced newborn mortality by 49 percent since 1990, the report says. "Increased family incomes, lower fertility rates and higher levels of female education likely account for a significant share of this success," it says. Door-to-door health workers have also helped, it says.

Just worth noting.

How someone got ABORTION BAD from this is beyond me. You are allowed to talk about failings in healthcare(and other) systems. Surely you want them to improve?

Sometimes I forget just how completely fucked up this country is until someone comes along and says something that's perfectly reasonable, and it makes me belly laugh because in the context of America it seems utterly unreasonable.
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The thing about Americans is that even if you got them to look at the data, they would start bellowing about "personal responsibility" and how the women whose babies die probably bring it upon themselves.

Americans aren't interested in saving lives or making things better; they're interested in PUNISHMENT.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 08, 2013, 01:32:31 AM
The thing about Americans is that even if you got them to look at the data, they would start bellowing about "personal responsibility" and how the women whose babies die probably bring it upon themselves.

Americans aren't interested in saving lives or making things better; they're interested in PUNISHMENT.

And having someone to sneer at.

Which I think is caused by being descended from pack-based primates.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 08, 2013, 01:35:04 AM

I think it's a lot more complex than that, because if you look at Sapolsky's work with baboons (and he's where all our ideas about primate social experience comes from) he found that in one group where all the dominant assholes died off from an infection that took a much heavier toll on dominant assholes (no kidding), the culture of that troupe changed to a much gentler, less stressful culture, and remains changed over 20 years later, not due to genetic factors (else the assholes young would have simply grown up to be assholes, and the new assholes that joined the troupe would have remained assholes) but due purely to social factors; the power of the meme, as it were.

I think that we make a very typical human mistake when we look around and assume that because our culture has dominated, it reflects the biologically inevitable nature of human beings. It's called "false consensus" and is also the reason why when someone makes a racist joke and nobody speaks up, they assume that it's because everyone else is racist too.

The problem with aggressively dominating expansionist/colonial societies is that, because of their nature, they DO spread and they DO take over other, less aggressive societies. That doesn't mean it's basic human nature to do so, just that it's the nature of that KIND of society.

The question is whether there's a way of neutralizing them.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 08, 2013, 01:46:51 AM

I think it's a lot more complex than that, because if you look at Sapolsky's work with baboons (and he's where all our ideas about primate social experience comes from) he found that in one group where all the dominant assholes died off from an infection that took a much heavier toll on dominant assholes (no kidding), the culture of that troupe changed to a much gentler, less stressful culture, and remains changed over 20 years later, not due to genetic factors (else the assholes young would have simply grown up to be assholes, and the new assholes that joined the troupe would have remained assholes) but due purely to social factors; the power of the meme, as it were.

I think that we make a very typical human mistake when we look around and assume that because our culture has dominated, it reflects the biologically inevitable nature of human beings. It's called "false consensus" and is also the reason why when someone makes a racist joke and nobody speaks up, they assume that it's because everyone else is racist too.

The problem with aggressively dominating expansionist/colonial societies is that, because of their nature, they DO spread and they DO take over other, less aggressive societies. That doesn't mean it's basic human nature to do so, just that it's the nature of that KIND of society.

STOP BEING SO NIGEL ALL THE DAMN TIME!
\
:tgrr:

:lulz:

TGRR,
Off to look this Sapolsky guy up.

Cainad (dec.)

I become more and more convinced of this every day. Our nation is bloodthirsty.

Someone's always gotta pay. No matter whodunnit, howdunnit, or whydunnit, someone's gotta hang for it.

Deep-seated societal woes? Find suckers and string 'em up. Won't fix a fucking thing, but it makes for good television.

Don't fix things. Don't prevent things. Don't find reasons for things, and for FUCK'S sake don't forgive things. Just shut up and cast your stones, already.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 08, 2013, 01:58:20 AM

\

TGRR,

Bruno

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 07, 2013, 06:08:51 PM
http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/30/17988462-more-us-babies-die-on-their-first-day-than-in-68-other-countries-report-shows?lite

I talked about this at work today.  I was told that "American women just have too many abortions", which of course has ANYTHING TO DO AT ALL WITH THE ARTICLE.

Lots of fun facts in there.

So... God is mad that we're killing unborn babies, so he's punishing us by... killing babies?

Is that their "reasoning".

Formerly something else...

LMNO

To borrow Cainad's programming:

>INPUT: More babies die in America than in 68 other countries.
>IMPLICATION: America is a shittier place than assumed.
>ERROR. FULL STOP
>RECODE INPUT: Dead babies in America.
>ASSUMPTION: A fetus is a baby.
>IMPLICATION: The statistic is because abortion.
>OUTPUT: "Too many abortions!"

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

\

TGRR,

There's a special on Netflix about stress. I think it's from Nova. It has a lot of discussion about his work. And it's also kind of cool to see it presented in that way because at a certain point when they talk about all the alpha's dying off after showing what complete fuck-sticks they were, I ended up totally cheering.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on May 10, 2013, 08:23:33 PM

\

TGRR,

There's a special on Netflix about stress. I think it's from Nova. It has a lot of discussion about his work. And it's also kind of cool to see it presented in that way because at a certain point when they talk about all the alpha's dying off after showing what complete fuck-sticks they were, I ended up totally cheering.

Is it "Stress: The Silent Killer"? That's a good one, it has a lot of interesting information about studies done on hierarchy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I also like how Sapolsky was totally up-front about the fact that he fucking hates baboons and thinks they're assholes. :lol: He's awesome.