News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

NYC = Bollocks

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, May 08, 2013, 04:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

A rant about one man's quest to find a fucking cup of coffee in New York at 11:30 PM.

So I'm in NYC. PARTYING HARD, naturally. This is the BIG APPLE. The City that Never Sleeps. Oh, shit look at the time. 11:30 PM! I better refuel so I can keep Never Sleeping and all. How about some coffee! I'll just go whip some up in the hotel room.

Oh fuck! This hotel room features literally ZERO coffee makers! That's weird, because every god damn hotel room I've ever stayed in, even in shitty podunk places in god-forsaken Wyoming have coffee makers. Oh well, there must be some brewing downstairs.

Oh wait! I forgot, this hotel isn't any normal hotel. This place seems to think it's a fucking night club. Some rip-off of Ace of Base is attacking me in the elevator, and when I get downstairs I remember that there is no coffee up in this biotch at all. It's fucking wall-to-wall hipsters. Coffee is for corporate STOOGES, man. I'm supposed to go into one of the three or so built-in scene bars here, mingle with these bespectacled, fedora-clad fucksticks with elbow patches, smell their shitty cologne, and pay $27 for a weak ass, non-coffee-based mixed drink so I can look like I was drinking shitty alcohol before it was even cool.

Well... fuck that. I'm going outside. This is the City that Never Sleeps. I'll just go find a Starbucks. Fuck you, hipsters.

Hmm. Three blocks down and counting. I've passed no fewer than 5 Starbucks now, along with a 2,000 or so other shops, and apparently not only does New York, in fact, sleep, it  at passes out behind the wheel at like 7 god-damn PM. And I'm not really asking for a whole lot here. It's 11:30 PM on a Tuesday, and I'd like a cup of coffee. How fucking WEIRD, I guess.

What the fuck kind of international city closes all the coffee shops at 10PM. The fucked up kind, that's what. You people need to take a few cues from real towns like Tokyo and Tucson, where no matter what else may or may not be going down, you can always find a fucking cup of joe.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Damn straight.  The Circle K - and there's ALWAYS a Circle K - keeps no less than 9 different flavors going in a bank of coffee pots that would make Josephus Daniels weep like a little boy. 

They know the consequences of failure, here in the city that sleeps with one eye open.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Johnny

YOU COULD

order an vodka with Red Bull

OR

carry your own microwave while travelling
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Suu

Quote from: V3X on May 08, 2013, 04:49:45 AM
A rant about one man's quest to find a fucking cup of coffee in New York at 11:30 PM.

So I'm in NYC. PARTYING HARD, naturally. This is the BIG APPLE. The City that Never Sleeps. Oh, shit look at the time. 11:30 PM! I better refuel so I can keep Never Sleeping and all. How about some coffee! I'll just go whip some up in the hotel room.

Oh fuck! This hotel room features literally ZERO coffee makers! That's weird, because every god damn hotel room I've ever stayed in, even in shitty podunk places in god-forsaken Wyoming have coffee makers. Oh well, there must be some brewing downstairs.

Oh wait! I forgot, this hotel isn't any normal hotel. This place seems to think it's a fucking night club. Some rip-off of Ace of Base is attacking me in the elevator, and when I get downstairs I remember that there is no coffee up in this biotch at all. It's fucking wall-to-wall hipsters. Coffee is for corporate STOOGES, man. I'm supposed to go into one of the three or so built-in scene bars here, mingle with these bespectacled, fedora-clad fucksticks with elbow patches, smell their shitty cologne, and pay $27 for a weak ass, non-coffee-based mixed drink so I can look like I was drinking shitty alcohol before it was even cool.

Well... fuck that. I'm going outside. This is the City that Never Sleeps. I'll just go find a Starbucks. Fuck you, hipsters.

Hmm. Three blocks down and counting. I've passed no fewer than 5 Starbucks now, along with a 2,000 or so other shops, and apparently not only does New York, in fact, sleep, it  at passes out behind the wheel at like 7 god-damn PM. And I'm not really asking for a whole lot here. It's 11:30 PM on a Tuesday, and I'd like a cup of coffee. How fucking WEIRD, I guess.

What the fuck kind of international city closes all the coffee shops at 10PM. The fucked up kind, that's what. You people need to take a few cues from real towns like Tokyo and Tucson, where no matter what else may or may not be going down, you can always find a fucking cup of joe.

You're obviously in Midtown.

You need to go downtown to Washington Square by NYU or up to W 109th near Columbia. There's a couple of places on 34th West of MSG, also. Diners. A bit touristy, but you'll get a fucking cup of coffee.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

NYC is a festering pit of shithole-ness whose shithole-ness is only exceeded by the inexplicable attitude of the locals that they live in the biggest most important place ever.

It's not even the biggest or most important city in the US, and for late-night fun it shouldn't even make the list.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

Quote from: Balls Wellington on May 08, 2013, 11:16:01 AM
NYC is a festering pit of shithole-ness whose shithole-ness is only exceeded by the inexplicable attitude of the locals that they live in the biggest most important place ever.

It's not even the biggest or most important city in the US, and for late-night fun it shouldn't even make the list.

No city in the Northeast does. Fucking Puritans. Blue laws are wicked queeh. Then again, so is stopping public transit at midnight in Boston.

Also, for someone who doesn't live on this coast anymore, you talk a lot of shit, Lefty.......Which is a good thing, because that means you haven't digressed into that passive aggressive PNW bullshit.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

tyrannosaurus vex

The Eastern Seaboard is full of the descendants of the people who were too scared to get on a covered wagon and head into the vast unknown with nothing but a six-gun, a satchel full of stale bread, and smallpox to keep them company. I am unsurprised at its present lack of adventurous spirit, the natives opting instead to hunker down in their dens by about 6 PM or so. After that, the only people on the streets are Europeans pissing on things and exhausted tourists wondering what happened to the street performers. And the homeless, of course, but they don't really have much choice.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Suu on May 08, 2013, 12:54:55 PM

No city in the Northeast does. Fucking Puritans. Blue laws are wicked queeh. Then again, so is stopping public transit at midnight in Boston.

Also, for someone who doesn't live on this coast anymore, you talk a lot of shit, Lefty.......Which is a good thing, because that means you haven't digressed into that passive aggressive PNW bullshit.

Everett isn't like the rest of the PNW. :lulz:

We're like Seattle's Worcester.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

Quote from: V3X on May 08, 2013, 01:48:15 PM
The Eastern Seaboard is full of the descendants of the people who were too scared to get on a covered wagon and head into the vast unknown with nothing but a six-gun, a satchel full of stale bread, and smallpox to keep them company. I am unsurprised at its present lack of adventurous spirit, the natives opting instead to hunker down in their dens by about 6 PM or so. After that, the only people on the streets are Europeans pissing on things and exhausted tourists wondering what happened to the street performers. And the homeless, of course, but they don't really have much choice.

You get the fuck out of my part of the country. Right. Now.

Quote from: Balls Wellington on May 08, 2013, 09:09:49 PM
We're like Seattle's Worcester.

That doesn't exactly say much.  :lulz:

East Coast Hustle

Vex is totally right about that, though. If it weren't for the immigrants, most of the east coast would have no redeeming value at all.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: Northeasterners always think Northwesterners are passive aggressive. You just don't speak our language. We really are that friendly, but that doesn't mean we like you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 09, 2013, 07:11:31 PM

:lulz: Northeasterners always think Northwesterners are passive aggressive. You just don't speak our language. We really are that friendly, but that doesn't mean we like you.

:lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Suu

The feeling is mutual.

Unless you're ECH, and you can't decide what part of the country you're from.

The Good Reverend Roger

We here in Tucson LOVE YOU BOTH.  LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE.  We love you so much that if we can't have you, NOBODY CAN.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 09, 2013, 07:40:01 PM
We here in Tucson LOVE YOU BOTH.  LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE.  We love you so much that if we can't have you, NOBODY CAN.

For some reason, I'm very okay with this.