News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Old Television Show Nostalgia: Tell us what you remember.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, May 08, 2013, 05:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 08, 2013, 06:36:36 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on May 08, 2013, 06:34:05 PM
Liking this.

Are you taking the 80's or may I?

Anyone can do anything.  I'm thinking 1970-1990 as the time frame.

We got kiddie shows out of Houston and Kitirik was live with mistakes, trolls and all manner of mayhem. Also hotness. Sadly, she was cancelled in the early 70's and of course Houston continues to circle the drain.

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

There was another Canadian show, The Beachcombers, about a guy named Nick Adonidas, who ran a lumber salvage operation on the coast of British Columbia. 

The series was insanely gritty for its day, and dealt frequently with Nick's alcoholism problem, which was treated as being - in our terms - horrormirthy.  Nick had a particular weakness with ouzo, and often was shown puking drunk, hung over, or in dire financial straits due to this.

The foil was a guy named "Relic", who used unscrupulous means to swipe lumber off of Nick, who wasn't above some shady dealings himself.  Many of the characters were North American Natives, and their issues in dealing with Whites were explored fairly often, though they were also portrayed as "noble", in that they were virtually flaw-free (for example, they were the only characters that weren't horrid drunks).

Funny thing:  In the 80s, the show was revamped, using more suspense and action, and tanked.  The audience wanted sordid and awful social problems rubbed in their faces, which only proves that Canada is still very British.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Anna Mae Bollocks

The Good Reverend Roger

Mangrove

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 08, 2013, 07:28:34 PM
There was another Canadian show, The Beachcombers, about a guy named Nick Adonidas, who ran a lumber salvage operation on the coast of British Columbia. 

The series was insanely gritty for its day, and dealt frequently with Nick's alcoholism problem, which was treated as being - in our terms - horrormirthy.  Nick had a particular weakness with ouzo, and often was shown puking drunk, hung over, or in dire financial straits due to this.

The foil was a guy named "Relic", who used unscrupulous means to swipe lumber off of Nick, who wasn't above some shady dealings himself.  Many of the characters were North American Natives, and their issues in dealing with Whites were explored fairly often, though they were also portrayed as "noble", in that they were virtually flaw-free (for example, they were the only characters that weren't horrid drunks).

Funny thing:  In the 80s, the show was revamped, using more suspense and action, and tanked.  The audience wanted sordid and awful social problems rubbed in their faces, which only proves that Canada is still very British.

Wow, haven't thought about that show in a loooong ass time. Relic. Just wow.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 08, 2013, 07:06:14 PM
Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on May 08, 2013, 07:02:33 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 08, 2013, 05:44:27 PM

Then there was THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSwr-lPQxpc

This is what they did to us.

:lulz: WTF was that and why couldn't I look away?!?!

There was an even weirder one, but I can't find it.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Whose brainchild was that, Alejandro Jodorowsky's? It reminds me of some of the weirder shit in El Topo. 

CANADA GOT ALL THE GOOD STUFF!!!!! :argh!:

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

The Good Reverend Roger

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 08, 2013, 09:31:06 PM
Quote from: Waffles, Viking Princess of Northern Belgium on May 08, 2013, 09:26:30 PM
Meanwhile, in Norway, this is what WE grew up with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0kNJNe7HGE

GO HOME, NORWAY.  YOU'RE ALL FUCKED UP ON DRUGS.

This was considered "Pedagogically correct" by the government run television station back then, which was also the ONLY CHANNEL THERE WAS. I'm a measly 31 years old, and I remember when we finally got access to more channels.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Waffles, Viking Princess of Northern Belgium on May 08, 2013, 09:36:49 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 08, 2013, 09:31:06 PM
Quote from: Waffles, Viking Princess of Northern Belgium on May 08, 2013, 09:26:30 PM
Meanwhile, in Norway, this is what WE grew up with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0kNJNe7HGE

GO HOME, NORWAY.  YOU'RE ALL FUCKED UP ON DRUGS.

This was considered "Pedagogically correct" by the government run television station back then, which was also the ONLY CHANNEL THERE WAS. I'm a measly 31 years old, and I remember when we finally got access to more channels.

In Newfoundland, in the 70s, we had two channels, but one was too far away, and was always full of static and noise.

The one we had that worked was full of nightmares about places like My Lai and the Watergate Hotel, so I went out and played in the forest that started at the end of my yard. 

hooplala

The time is 1971... the place is Hamilton Ontario Canada... the local station (CHCH) has exactly one person of talent, a little money, and an idea.  The result?

THE HILARIOUS HOUSE OF FRIGHTENSTEIN

in which one man, Billy Van, plays approximately 75 characters - all gruesome... Vincent Price is somehow convinced to participate, after discovering a horrible place like Hamilton actually exists, which gives weight to his performances.  On top of all of this, Julius Sumner Miller teaches about physics in an unduly angry manner, and sometimes people dance to unlicensed songs over psychedelic backdrops.  Wait, did I say 'sometimes'?  What I meant was ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

This program always seemed to be played around 6:30 in the morning, and scared the everloving shit out of a young Hoopla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsaFDZfz8Lc
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 08, 2013, 06:06:06 PM
Then there was the Mary Tyler Moore show, about a female local news producer.  It was a light-hearted show about endless sexual harrassment in the workplace.  The one episode from season four was particularly egregious.

QuoteMary:  "Lou, I'd like to try anchoring while Ted's on vacation."

Lou:  "Well, then I guess you need to learn what your knees are for, girl."  slides desk chair backwards

*laugh track*

:lulz: :horrormirth: :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."