Don Coyote

Quote from: Uncle Wallified on June 11, 2013, 06:30:28 PM
Quote from: Doooooon Coyooooooootaaaaaay on June 04, 2013, 02:16:34 AM
Quote from: six to the quixotic on May 14, 2013, 06:12:06 AM
Quote from: Uncle Wallified on May 14, 2013, 05:18:55 AM
Quote from: six to the quixotic on May 13, 2013, 10:44:06 PM
Quote from: Uncle Wallified on May 13, 2013, 06:16:20 PM
Mind if I throw one in?

if it's bouncing off of one of mine go ahead.

Not really, but the first reminded me of an idea I had for a post-apocalyptic game in which huge asteroids had struck the earth in the middle of World War I. Europe reverted to a feudal system and there were things like knights walking the earth with Brodie helmets and Lee-Enfields, trying to survive the horrors of feudal trench warfare and the Lovecraftian things that were living in the asteroids. Mechanical knowledge from the industrial era was revered, and machines that still worked were cherished as holy relics. I figured the main action of the game could take place on the British mainland. The idea was silly as fuck, but also grim in a way that only this image can properly convey: http://michaelkutsche.deviantart.com/art/The-Trench-94147716
I figured I'd run it in a heavily modified variant of D20 Modern, or maybe Pathfinder, but I couldn't figure out a way to balance it properly or handle pre-decimalized currency, so I scrapped it.

Pretty similar in some of the flavor. Just use PF for most things and sub in d20 Modern rules for ancient tech. That's pretty much what I would I do if was planing on running PF. And screw trying to be balanced from the beginning. If things get unbalanced adjust fire and carry on.

Pre-decimal currency?
Like British pounds?
http://www.pomian.demon.co.uk/coin.htm

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Since all the currency in Pathfinder is decimalized, I couldn't just pull a simple substitution. However, I could scavenge the purchasing rules from d20 Modern and replace owned currency with a Wealth skill. I think I could just use Appraise for that; it never gets used anyway and if Paizo could get away with unifying all the acrobatics skills, I can probably get away with unifying the financial ones. The only challenge here will be sitting down and figuring out the purchase DCs for all the items.
I'm on my  phone but I'd you look for a blog called deltas dnd hotspot
http://deltasdnd.blogspot.com/2010/03/on-money.html
http://deltasdnd.blogspot.com/2012/04/more-moneys-o

Don Coyote

Quote from: Don Coyote on May 12, 2013, 05:52:13 PM
The first: The party will be knights in a post apocalyptic world without horses. Instead of horses, knights use mecha powered by ancient nuclear whatsits. I will be using a combination of Basic Roleplaying and Pendragon.

So I ran the first session of this on Thursday. The party consists of my wife playing a more reasonable mechaknight, my friend from college playing a 14 year old magical girl who is also a mechaknight for unknown reasons that will probably never be pinned down, and her boyfriend who is playing a "Chaste as fuck" mechaknight. On their first official adventure they tracked and slaughtered a gigantic twohead mutant bear that might have been infected with ancient nanotech. Their spoils included its hide, made into an armored cloak for chaste knight's mech, its two skulls as a helmet and pauldron for the magical girl's mech, and a bit of a claw for a drinking horn for my wife's knight. The magical girl basically nuked it with magic because my on the fly adjustments made it practically impervious to normal attacks, something I will be taking into account next time.

They then saved a peasant and his herd of cattle from a trio of robber knight in mecha that had seen better day. My wife's mech went down when magical girl fumbled her attack and critically shoved her lance through the torso of my wife's mech's torso. All three of the player knights did score rather impressive blows. Almost every time they successfully hit the robber knights a limb got disabled. As it is, I may have to adjust the lethality of mech scale weapons as an unblocked hit is currently DEMOLISHING mechs. After some quick field repairs they traveled to the village they had just saved from the megabear had their mechs repaired more fully and we stopped there.

Next session will be their first experience at court.

List of books I am using:
Basic Roleplaying
King Arthur Pendragon
Basic Roleplaying Mecha

The Johnny

Quote from: Don Coyote on June 22, 2013, 06:10:38 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on May 12, 2013, 05:52:13 PM
The first: The party will be knights in a post apocalyptic world without horses. Instead of horses, knights use mecha powered by ancient nuclear whatsits. I will be using a combination of Basic Roleplaying and Pendragon.

So I ran the first session of this on Thursday. The party consists of my wife playing a more reasonable mechaknight, my friend from college playing a 14 year old magical girl who is also a mechaknight for unknown reasons that will probably never be pinned down, and her boyfriend who is playing a "Chaste as fuck" mechaknight. On their first official adventure they tracked and slaughtered a gigantic twohead mutant bear that might have been infected with ancient nanotech. Their spoils included its hide, made into an armored cloak for chaste knight's mech, its two skulls as a helmet and pauldron for the magical girl's mech, and a bit of a claw for a drinking horn for my wife's knight. The magical girl basically nuked it with magic because my on the fly adjustments made it practically impervious to normal attacks, something I will be taking into account next time.

They then saved a peasant and his herd of cattle from a trio of robber knight in mecha that had seen better day. My wife's mech went down when magical girl fumbled her attack and critically shoved her lance through the torso of my wife's mech's torso. All three of the player knights did score rather impressive blows. Almost every time they successfully hit the robber knights a limb got disabled. As it is, I may have to adjust the lethality of mech scale weapons as an unblocked hit is currently DEMOLISHING mechs. After some quick field repairs they traveled to the village they had just saved from the megabear had their mechs repaired more fully and we stopped there.

Next session will be their first experience at court.

List of books I am using:
Basic Roleplaying
King Arthur Pendragon
Basic Roleplaying Mecha

¿Does yous recognize this?

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Don Coyote

Don Coyote

And if my game was on rails it will never ever be on rails again.
Cliffnotes version of tonight's session.
Wife character: Challenged a dude to a duel so that the party could continue in their quest. She fails, so the entire party is honor bound to stay at the castle to possibly die a pointless death. Goes mad at the end of the session just as the BBEG shows up and runs off.
Friend's character: seduces the dude to distract him so my wife's character can slip out to continue in the quest. Is now pregnant.
Friend's BFs character: is forced to ride my wife's character's mech as she had ridden off with his mech.

I decided to chalk this up as they successfully defeated the Specter King, despite them all having lost honor.

Don Coyote

Having now recovered from a bit of a material conversion overload and thus choice paralysis, I am now in the process of converting Spelljammer for use in my Basic Roleplaying Pendragon and Mecha game, as well as monsters that appear in the 1st edition AD&D DMG wilderness encounter charts. By converting I mean I making mecha scale mutant animals from the 1st edition MM.

Link to the google drive folder containing my conversions (all three of them as yet) https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0RgpTvR3o_9S0toTU1PSDF6Tk0&usp=sharing