News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Coyote's random RPG ideas

Started by Don Coyote, May 12, 2013, 05:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

The first: The party will be knights in a post apocalyptic world without horses. Instead of horses, knights use mecha powered by ancient nuclear whatsits. I will be using a combination of Basic Roleplaying and Pendragon.

The second: The party will be a group of teenagers that pilot giant mecha to fight giant space aliens. They the powers of dance and magic to combat the invading space mimes. They are powered by Man-Grit and Fabulousity. Ridiculous over-the-top combination dance moves will be the killing blows. This will have to almost whole cloth made.

The third: The party will be a group of players in a full immersion MMO. They are trapped inside. There is no-one else except the computer controlled NPCs.  I will be using 4e DnD  :lulz:

Don Coyote

Quote from: six to the quixotic on May 12, 2013, 05:52:13 PM
The third: The party will be a group of players in a full immersion MMO. They are trapped inside. There is no-one else except the computer controlled NPCs.  I will be using 4e DnD  :lulz:

hirley0 will be the BBEG/God/McGuffin/helpful magical NPC at the same time.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Don Coyote

Quote from: six to the quixotic on May 12, 2013, 05:52:13 PM
The second: The party will be a group of teenagers that pilot giant mecha to fight giant space aliens. They the powers of dance and magic to combat the invading space mimes. They are powered by Man-Grit and Fabulousity. Ridiculous over-the-top combination dance moves will be the killing blows. This will have to almost whole cloth made.

The Space Mimes are fragments of the Not-thing before the universe was created and seek to bring the extremely loud and noisy universe back to that state.
They are drawn to attack the city the party is based around for reasons unknown, although it is suspected that there is a linkage between them and a certain wicked fizzy beverage.

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Uncle Wallified on May 13, 2013, 06:16:20 PM
Mind if I throw one in?

if it's bouncing off of one of mine go ahead.

President Television

Quote from: six to the quixotic on May 13, 2013, 10:44:06 PM
Mind if I throw one in?

Not really, but the first reminded me of an idea I had for a post-apocalyptic game in which huge asteroids had struck the earth in the middle of World War I. Europe reverted to a feudal system and there were things like knights walking the earth with Brodie helmets and Lee-Enfields, trying to survive the horrors of feudal trench warfare and the Lovecraftian things that were living in the asteroids. Mechanical knowledge from the industrial era was revered, and machines that still worked were cherished as holy relics. I figured the main action of the game could take place on the British mainland. The idea was silly as fuck, but also grim in a way that only this image can properly convey: http://michaelkutsche.deviantart.com/art/The-Trench-94147716
I figured I'd run it in a heavily modified variant of D20 Modern, or maybe Pathfinder, but I couldn't figure out a way to balance it properly or handle pre-decimalized currency, so I scrapped it.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Uncle Wallified on May 14, 2013, 05:18:55 AM
Mind if I throw one in?

Not really, but the first reminded me of an idea I had for a post-apocalyptic game in which huge asteroids had struck the earth in the middle of World War I. Europe reverted to a feudal system and there were things like knights walking the earth with Brodie helmets and Lee-Enfields, trying to survive the horrors of feudal trench warfare and the Lovecraftian things that were living in the asteroids. Mechanical knowledge from the industrial era was revered, and machines that still worked were cherished as holy relics. I figured the main action of the game could take place on the British mainland. The idea was silly as fuck, but also grim in a way that only this image can properly convey: http://michaelkutsche.deviantart.com/art/The-Trench-94147716
I figured I'd run it in a heavily modified variant of D20 Modern, or maybe Pathfinder, but I couldn't figure out a way to balance it properly or handle pre-decimalized currency, so I scrapped it.

Pretty similar in some of the flavor. Just use PF for most things and sub in d20 Modern rules for ancient tech. That's pretty much what I would I do if was planing on running PF. And screw trying to be balanced from the beginning. If things get unbalanced adjust fire and carry on.

Don Coyote

Well I thought I was going to have more than the vaguest outline for Dance Magic Mecha Showdown to try it out today. I was wrong. I'm still going to see what happens today.

Don Coyote

If anyone is interested I got a first draft of the playtest rules for my mecha song and dance fighting game.

Don Coyote

Quote from: six to the quixotic on May 14, 2013, 06:12:06 AM
Mind if I throw one in?

Pretty similar in some of the flavor. Just use PF for most things and sub in d20 Modern rules for ancient tech. That's pretty much what I would I do if was planing on running PF. And screw trying to be balanced from the beginning. If things get unbalanced adjust fire and carry on.

Pre-decimal currency?
Like British pounds?
http://www.pomian.demon.co.uk/coin.htm

Don Coyote

I may be running CthulluTech over Roll20 in a few weeks. Guess what I might be using as inspiration....the NESSIES!!!!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doooooon Coyooooooootaaaaaay on June 09, 2013, 09:54:55 PM
I may be running CthulluTech over Roll20 in a few weeks. Guess what I might be using as inspiration....the NESSIES!!!!

:banana:
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

I'm also extending a tentative invitation to PDers for that game.
Upside?
A lot of you guys know about the Nessies and how terrible things could be.
You get to maybe kill some Nessies.
Downside?
You know about the Nessies.
I doubt anyone knows the rules for CthulluTech well if at all.
Time coordination.
I have to make a lot of shit up for a system I am not very familiar with.

President Television

Quote from: Doooooon Coyooooooootaaaaaay on June 04, 2013, 02:16:34 AM
Quote from: six to the quixotic on May 14, 2013, 06:12:06 AM
Mind if I throw one in?

Pre-decimal currency?
Like British pounds?
http://www.pomian.demon.co.uk/coin.htm

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Since all the currency in Pathfinder is decimalized, I couldn't just pull a simple substitution. However, I could scavenge the purchasing rules from d20 Modern and replace owned currency with a Wealth skill. I think I could just use Appraise for that; it never gets used anyway and if Paizo could get away with unifying all the acrobatics skills, I can probably get away with unifying the financial ones. The only challenge here will be sitting down and figuring out the purchase DCs for all the items.