News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

unmeasurable particle created???

Started by GrannySmith, May 14, 2013, 07:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrannySmith

i just ordered it thanks!! :)
looking forward to hopefully understanding something about reality from the physicists point of view ;) and to see how he does it under the copenhagen interpretation - which barely makes sense to me  :eek:
now back to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RwdY7Eqyguo#t=874s 
this guy just said:
QuoteSo particles and fields are the two things we physicists talk about, when we talk about the ingredients that make up reality. If you have a tiny bit of physics education, you may have come upon the question "is light, for example, a particle or a wave", a wave is sort of a vibration in a field. So what is more important, is it the particle aspect of reality or is it the field aspect of reality. It's fields. That's the answer. It's not a mystery, they always tell you that question, they never tell you the answer. I went decades of my life, so what's the answer to this? This is the answer, it's fields. Any questions about that? hehe So, I'm going to tell you a little bit more detail, but not too much, but this is the crucial slide, okay? [Slide says "It's fields"] "[/i]] There's no more information, there's nothing more to come. The reason why the Higgs boson as a concept is hard to grasp, is because you need to stop thinking of the world in terms of particles. You need to start thinking about it in terms of fieds. And you say to yourself, but things like this table are made of atoms, and atoms have electrons and so forth in them, and, and, and the electrons are particles, right? There are particles in the world... no there aren't. [ :eek:]
:eek:  :aaa: then he goes on to explain so now i must go watch to the end a few times   :eek: :aaa:  :eek:

Did you guys know this? I don't know if this is supposed to be well known and plain sensationalism, but I'm so impressed i typed that part of his speech just to quote it!   :aaa:
  X  

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: GrannySmith on May 15, 2013, 07:14:42 PM
i just ordered it thanks!! :)
looking forward to hopefully understanding something about reality from the physicists point of view ;) and to see how he does it under the copenhagen interpretation - which barely makes sense to me  :eek:
now back to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RwdY7Eqyguo#t=874s 
this guy just said:
QuoteSo particles and fields are the two things we physicists talk about, when we talk about the ingredients that make up reality. If you have a tiny bit of physics education, you may have come upon the question "is light, for example, a particle or a wave", a wave is sort of a vibration in a field. So what is more important, is it the particle aspect of reality or is it the field aspect of reality. It's fields. That's the answer. It's not a mystery, they always tell you that question, they never tell you the answer. I went decades of my life, so what's the answer to this? This is the answer, it's fields. Any questions about that? hehe So, I'm going to tell you a little bit more detail, but not too much, but this is the crucial slide, okay? [Slide says "It's fields"] "[/i]] There's no more information, there's nothing more to come. The reason why the Higgs boson as a concept is hard to grasp, is because you need to stop thinking of the world in terms of particles. You need to start thinking about it in terms of fieds. And you say to yourself, but things like this table are made of atoms, and atoms have electrons and so forth in them, and, and, and the electrons are particles, right? There are particles in the world... no there aren't. [ :eek:]
:eek:  :aaa: then he goes on to explain so now i must go watch to the end a few times   :eek: :aaa:  :eek:

Did you guys know this? I don't know if this is supposed to be well known and plain sensationalism, but I'm so impressed i typed that part of his speech just to quote it!   :aaa:

Somewhat. That's around the spot where I left of in Prof. Marburger's book.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Q. G. Pennyworth

I've heard things like it a lot, but I also go out of my way to expose myself to those things. And I still don't get it. Like, at all. I think it's the kind of thing you can beat your head against your whole life and still never really understand it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on May 16, 2013, 02:53:04 AM
I've heard things like it a lot, but I also go out of my way to expose myself to those things. And I still don't get it. Like, at all. I think it's the kind of thing you can beat your head against your whole life and still never really understand it.

Unless you're LMNO's dad. Pretty sure he understood the shit out of it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 16, 2013, 03:14:37 AM

I imagine he did.

The main problem is that, like LMNO said, you can't really picture it since picturing things puts it in the larger than atoms level of reality where shit like that can't happen. I'm hoping that whatever math classes I take will help me understand it a bit better, but I'm thinking of teaching myself calculus and such anyway even if I don't have to take it.

LMNO

This is another good introduction, and it's free:

http://lesswrong.com/lw/r5/the_quantum_physics_sequence/

Not to get spooky, but when you get really fucking small, it's all clouds of probabilities.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: El Twid on May 16, 2013, 03:26:51 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 16, 2013, 03:14:37 AM

I imagine he did.

The main problem is that, like LMNO said, you can't really picture it since picturing things puts it in the larger than atoms level of reality where shit like that can't happen. I'm hoping that whatever math classes I take will help me understand it a bit better, but I'm thinking of teaching myself calculus and such anyway even if I don't have to take it.

You're gonna teach yourself calculus?  :aaa: I admire the shit out of people who can teach themselves any kind of math. I am good as fuck at math, but I need someone to talk me through it when I'm learning it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 16, 2013, 02:27:26 PM

Not to get spooky, but when you get really fucking small, it's all clouds of probabilities.

I like the parts where they're like, OK listen, it isn't fucking magic, OK?

Not in so many words, but that does seem to be what they're getting at.  :lol:

LMNO

Yeah, he really tries to cut out the bullshit.  It's also more traditionally readable than Constructing Reality.

Nephew Twiddleton

I very well might not succeed at all but i figure its worth a shot. Especially if i dont get something i can spend more time on it.

Don Coyote

Quote from: El Twid on May 16, 2013, 05:30:31 PM
I very well might not succeed at all but i figure its worth a shot. Especially if i dont get something i can spend more time on it.
calculus 1 drove me to screaming fits of rage, amd im good at math and like calculus.

GrannySmith

Quote from: El Twid on May 16, 2013, 03:26:51 AM

I still stare of at nothing every now and then, just trying to imagine it... i gotta start reading that math!

GREAT link, thanks again!! :D

probabilities - luckily i'm a statistician at the moment! :) the clouds part might take a while to get though... :?

So to anyone with math issues who reads: I offer online math help for free (sombunall undergraduate level maths)
  X  

The Good Reverend Roger

This is offensive.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Well, no one said the Universe had to play fair.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 22, 2013, 08:14:11 PM
Well, no one said the Universe had to play fair.

WE have to play fair.  It should, too.  This is BULLSHIT.  It's like letting the house use marked cards.
Molon Lube