News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Cold fusion?

Started by P3nT4gR4m, May 22, 2013, 06:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on May 23, 2013, 08:36:16 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 23, 2013, 03:23:51 PM
Quote from: GrannySmith on May 23, 2013, 12:29:35 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 22, 2013, 06:52:01 PM
This is 169% guaranteed crap.
:roll: :roll: the bob in me is clenching her teeth :argh!:

we cannot know what is the deal with the e-cat. i find it interesting that, among other scientists, nasa is taking it seriously http://ecat.org/tag/nasa/

Until he moves away from DO NOT LOOK IN MAGIC BOX, I can't take him seriously.  This is a con.

For me its a good use of maybe logic, 90% maybe its a scam, 10% maybe its something useful. I'd he gets a patent and is still shady, I'll adjust it by 9% ;)

If I understand percentages correctly, having a 90% certainty that it's bullshit moves the subject out of the "somewhat grey" area, and into the "mostly black" area.  Functionally, you should be treating it as false.  A 9% move shouldn't make any noticiable difference in the way you behave at such a high percentage.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 23, 2013, 08:44:50 PM

we cannot know what is the deal with the e-cat. i find it interesting that, among other scientists, nasa is taking it seriously http://ecat.org/tag/nasa/

Until he moves away from DO NOT LOOK IN MAGIC BOX, I can't take him seriously.  This is a con.

For me its a good use of maybe logic, 90% maybe its a scam, 10% maybe its something useful. I'd he gets a patent and is still shady, I'll adjust it by 9% ;)

If I understand percentages correctly, having a 90% certainty that it's bullshit moves the subject out of the "somewhat grey" area, and into the "mostly black" area.  Functionally, you should be treating it as false.  A 9% move shouldn't make any noticiable difference in the way you behave at such a high percentage.

Since I'm not in the market for cold fusion reactors, it won't make any diffeence in the way i behave ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on May 25, 2013, 12:59:28 AM

Since I'm not in the market for cold fusion reactors, it won't make any diffeence in the way i behave ;-)

Because of course, you don't use electricity at all.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That's not actually how statistics, or reality, work.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

LMNO understands statistics.  :)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on May 23, 2013, 02:04:51 PM
It's not the name that everyone's suspicious of, it's the fact that he won't let anyone else test it independently (by letting them build their own, not by looking at a sealed container he swears works).

Bingo.

His claim, at this point, is essentially "I have magic in a box! No, you can't see".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

He could wait ten years for the patent application to be processed. If his technology is good, he's protected because he already filed. There's absolutely no legitimate reason for him to conceal his technology at this point.

Therefore, all signs point to "not legit".

GrannySmith

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 25, 2013, 03:30:03 AM
He could wait ten years for the patent application to be processed. If his technology is good, he's protected because he already filed. There's absolutely no legitimate reason for him to conceal his technology at this point.

True, most signs point to "not legit"! I'm still hanging my hopes on that his magic box appears to some to be working for some reason, if they're saying the truth too, that is. I guess we'll find out :)
  X  

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

The paper from the independent testing can be found at: http://arxiv.org/abs/1305.3913

From what I have read, it appears that this is likely not 'cold fusion', but rather an LENR(Low Energy Nuclear Reaction) mechanism. The paper basically says that they were able to test the device themselves, and had a control version of the device as well. They found that the tested device generates far more heat than would be expected through any currently known reactions... so they believe that "something" is going on, but since they can't dig into the guts of it, they have to withhold judgement for now. They have, however, planned a 6 month long test for this summer which should provide much more information.

I'm still pretty skeptical, but more tests could provide more useful data one way or the other.

This is a good review that provides lots of reasons to be skeptical.
http://news.newenergytimes.net/2013/05/21/rossi-manipulates-academics-to-create-illusion-of-independent-test/

The review basically points out weaknesses in the testing that was done. The test scheduled for this summer is supposed to take those weaknesses into consideration.

And while I do use electricity, Nigel, I'm not an investor, therefore how much or little credibility I give to this stuff, it doesn't change my behavior at all.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: GrannySmith on May 25, 2013, 12:48:14 PM

True, most signs point to "not legit"! I'm still hanging my hopes on that his magic box appears to some to be working for some reason, if they're saying the truth too, that is. I guess we'll find out :)

Known shyster makes outlandish claim about elusive technology, and your response is to "hang your hopes" on it somehow being legit? 
:facepalm:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 25, 2013, 04:31:28 PM

Known shyster makes outlandish claim about elusive technology, and your response is to "hang your hopes" on it somehow being legit? 

Now, now, Nigel.  This is how investors are born. 
Molon Lube

GrannySmith

X  

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 26, 2013, 07:46:47 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 25, 2013, 04:31:28 PM

Now, now, Nigel.  This is how investors are born.

I feel like, somewhere in there, is a Kickstarter idea.