News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

So my uncle informs me

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, May 24, 2013, 04:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

If I hadn't been offered a few hours of overtime to come in and work the dinner rush tonight because of a fuckton of huge parties, I'd have been up at Deception Pass today. And possibly driving back home around then.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

So there's this city here in RI, called Pawtucket. It was built by the WPA. Remember the WPA? Of course you don't, that liberal bastard FDR started that. Putting Americans to work after a depression? Are you kidding me?! That's why we got into World War II, isn't it?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

There were only a few people on the bridge, thank goodness.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, nobody died or was even seriously hurt. Fucking lucky as hell.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So, the media is trying to pin this on an oversize load that crossed right before the collapse. They are using the word "hit" as in, the truck carrying the load "hit" the bridge. There is no specific description of the truck or part of the load striking the bridge in a collision, so I am deeply suspicious of this reporting. The truck was appropriately permitted though the Washington DOT.

I suspect that the weight of the oversize load may have triggered the collapse, but the bridge should have been able to hold up to it, so the fault still lies in the bridge, and not in the passage of the truck.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 24, 2013, 06:45:08 PM
So, the media is trying to pin this on an oversize load that crossed right before the collapse. They are using the word "hit" as in, the truck carrying the load "hit" the bridge. There is no specific description of the truck or part of the load striking the bridge in a collision, so I am deeply suspicious of this reporting. The truck was appropriately permitted though the Washington DOT.

I suspect that the weight of the oversize load may have triggered the collapse, but the bridge should have been able to hold up to it, so the fault still lies in the bridge, and not in the passage of the truck.

The bridge had been rated as "fracture critical", meaning that one component failure would cause the collapse of the bridge, which in any sane world is COMPLETELY FUCKING UNACCEPTABLE.  I won't even allow our SCAFFOLDING contractors to do that shit.
Molon Lube

trippinprincezz13

Well if people would just stop DRIVING all over these bridges, maybe they wouldn't collapse. It's not rocket science.

IIRC, a good chunk of bridges throughout the US are in the "needs a bit more duct tape -> collapse imminent" condition, yes? Which sort of rationalizes my irrational fear of driving over bridges. Which isn't terribly comforting.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Trivial

The spy museum in DC had a list of infrastructure grades.  I think Pennsylvania was the one that scored lowest for bridge and road structures. 

Electrical grid is a tad worrisome for everyone.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Trivial

http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/   Ooh a website.  Pennsylvania not as bad as I thought.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Left

Quote from: The Johnny on May 24, 2013, 07:13:51 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 24, 2013, 06:42:03 AM
Quote from: The Johnny on May 24, 2013, 06:06:22 AM
Quote from: hylierandom, A.D.D. on May 24, 2013, 05:57:23 AM
But tax breaks for the rich make us all richer.
It's because of the wealth trickling down, like a golden stream from above...

:crankey:

Clearly, we can fix it all with the golden trickles from above.

THANKS, OBAMA!

My family has been trickled-on by Reagan, Clinton, both Bushes, now Obama.
It's a real bipartisan effort, all this trickling.
Reagan let the steel industry collapse. Our family lost the house we'd just mortgaged.  Ironic as hell considering my parents had just voted for the guy.

Quote from: Suu on May 24, 2013, 12:55:48 PM
So there's this city here in RI, called Pawtucket. It was built by the WPA. Remember the WPA? Of course you don't, that liberal bastard FDR started that. Putting Americans to work after a depression? Are you kidding me?!

Those bastard liberals! how DARE they!

Quote from: Balls Wellington on May 24, 2013, 07:23:39 AM
If I hadn't been offered a few hours of overtime to come in and work the dinner rush tonight because of a fuckton of huge parties, I'd have been up at Deception Pass today. And possibly driving back home around then.

I'm glad you're ok. I'm glad nobody was killed.

Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 24, 2013, 06:48:15 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 24, 2013, 06:45:08 PM

The bridge had been rated as "fracture critical", meaning that one component failure would cause the collapse of the bridge, which in any sane world is COMPLETELY FUCKING UNACCEPTABLE.  I won't even allow our SCAFFOLDING contractors to do that shit.

Oh, yeah. The Critical Bridge Report nailed over 1200 bridges in Oregon and close to that many in Washington, and that was about ten years ago.

So far, Oregon has repaired about 200 bridges.  :horrormirth:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't know if I've mentioned this, but there are also over a thousand DAMS on the critical list. Many of them with towns downstream.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There will be some critical dam failures in the next few years.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Just for, y'know, perspective: http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/economy/news/2012/09/20/38679/the-10-states-most-threatened-by-high-hazard-deficient-dams/

This is not an issue that people tend to talk about, but I've sat in on some of the meetings and the prognosis is grim. No money to rebuild, no money to relocate people. Shit gonna get interesting.

Thanks, Past America, for thinking that Future America would just somehow magically be able to deal with the problems you created for us.

Left

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 25, 2013, 04:22:04 AM
There will be some critical dam failures in the next few years.
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 25, 2013, 04:21:28 AM
I don't know if I've mentioned this, but there are also over a thousand DAMS on the critical list. Many of them with towns downstream.

I'm avoiding the obvious pun here...be thankful.  :evil:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bridge-collapse-fall-deaf-ears-congress/story?id=19252065#.UaA0tdLvu0l

QuoteObama renewed in February his nearly annual call for $50 billion in additional transportation and infrastructure spending as part of his 2014 budget request. But Republicans said the proposal amounted to an unfunded wish list.

To be sure, Congress did pass a highway transportation funding bill last year, but advocates say it's simply not enough. The bill allocated just enough money to keep transportation spending at status quo levels and it only funded projects for two years, as opposed to the usual five or six.

To maintain roads and bridges alone, the Federal Highway Administration estimates that every year $190 billion would need to be infused into the system, compared to the $103 billion now being spent.

And that isn't saying anything about dams.

QuoteAlthough dam safety legislation has ramped up since a string of catastrophic dam failures in the 1970s, the number of high risk dams needing repairs has actually increased over the last decade as dams age and government budgets dwindle...
Out of 14,000 high hazard dams–a few of which are federally owned–half lack an emergency action plan in case of a catastrophic failure.
http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2011/09/09/safety-be-dammed/
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy