News:

Attempting to do something

Main Menu

Natural selection applied to the laws of nature

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, May 30, 2013, 06:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Ive heard the idea of black holes causing big bangs but this is the first ive heard of natural selection being applied to it. Thoughts? www.space.com/21335-black-holes-time-universe-creation.html
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Doktor Howl

Quote from: El Twid on May 30, 2013, 06:05:07 PM
Ive heard the idea of black holes causing big bangs but this is the first ive heard of natural selection being applied to it. Thoughts? www.space.com/21335-black-holes-time-universe-creation.html

Secular humanism.  God created the big bangs exactly as they are today.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Dok i think you just blew out one of my fuses. :lulz:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: El Twid on May 30, 2013, 06:12:20 PM
Dok i think you just blew out one of my fuses. :lulz:

Funny thing:  I was thinking of the mechanism of black hole - big bang 20 years ago.  My professor told me "shut it, undergrad", and worry about what's in front of you.  That in itself was a lesson, and probably the most important lesson I learned in college (that academics are the most hidebound, status-conscious people on Earth).

Thing is, it's fucking intuitive.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

It is intuitive. Black hole- a single point of infinite density with a bunch of mass where time is meaningless. The universe before the big bang- a single point of infinite density with a bunch of mass where time is meaningless.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hmm, very interesting! I am really curious about the relationship between time, light and gravity. Unfortunately, I really don't have time to get a physics degree. :(
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: El Twid on May 30, 2013, 06:28:36 PM
It is intuitive. Black hole- a single point of infinite density with a bunch of mass where time is meaningless. The universe before the big bang- a single point of infinite density with a bunch of mass where time is meaningless.

Mach's principle doesn't apply, either, since all the mass in existence is one discrete object.  So all the regular rules sort of go out the window for a very short period of time.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 30, 2013, 06:48:06 PM

Mach's principle doesn't apply, either, since all the mass in existence is one discrete object.  So all the regular rules sort of go out the window for a very short period of time.

Welllll if light and gravity stop moving, time wouldn't move either, maybe?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 30, 2013, 06:53:06 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 30, 2013, 06:48:06 PM

Welllll if light and gravity stop moving, time wouldn't move either, maybe?

Well, if Mach's principle is out of play, gravity and light speed limits stop working, but the other 3 forces don't.  So you get a really big explosion.  Once the object expands and is no longer a discrete object, Mach's principle comes into play and the speed of the expanding edge of the explosion becomes the speed of light in the newly-formed universe.

I have no idea if this is accurate.  It just seems like it would have to play out that way.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

However, if that is correct, this is not something you should do as a home science experiment in the garage.  Leave it to trained professionals.  Mythbusters, maybe.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

:lulz:

As far as light gravity and time go as i understand it its that time basically doesnt exist in either a black hole or at the speed of light. The speed of light thing makes sense because the faster you go the more time slows down. But it gets a little trippy when you take it to the next step and realize that a photon experiences its entire existence in a single moment. I think whatever specific science i major in i still have two take two semesters of physics so maybe itll make more sense to me in a year.

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 30, 2013, 06:58:02 PM
However, if that is correct, this is not something you should do as a home science experiment in the garage.  Leave it to trained professionals.  Mythbusters, maybe.

:lol:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on May 30, 2013, 11:23:41 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 30, 2013, 06:58:02 PM

:lol:

Cool, I get to get a laugh out of this again, because, it is a brilliant statement.

Quote from: El Twid on May 30, 2013, 07:13:22 PM
:lulz:

As far as light gravity and time go as i understand it its that time basically doesnt exist in either a black hole or at the speed of light. The speed of light thing makes sense because the faster you go the more time slows down. But it gets a little trippy when you take it to the next step and realize that a photon experiences its entire existence in a single moment. I think whatever specific science i major in i still have two take two semesters of physics so maybe itll make more sense to me in a year.

The gravity bit in the initial conditions/black hole conditions make sense too, insofar that any of it makes sense. I watch a lot of Cosmos by Carl Sagan to fall asleep (I normally can't fall asleep in silence unless a human body is next to me), and I've gotten repeatedly through various episodes that a) he mentioned in passing the possibility that we are the result of a black hole and that the speed of light is necessary for the universe to be consistent. As for the second part, I keep missing why, but it's always that bit where he introduces it as photons from his nose reach us before photons from his eyes do, and then goes off into an explanation (as I drift) of three people, an agent, another agent, and an observer, one of the agents reacting inappropriately to the observer, under the conditions that light speed is not the speed limit. Something like, A is moving in this direction, B jumps out of the way, and C says, why did that guy jump 30 seconds before a collision that was impossible?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: El Twid on May 31, 2013, 04:33:43 AM
(I normally can't fall asleep in silence unless a human body is next to me),

And then Twid was the Boston Strangler.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 31, 2013, 04:38:02 AM
Quote from: El Twid on May 31, 2013, 04:33:43 AM