News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

EDIT: I DON'T KNOW CHILI FROM A HOLE IN THE GROUND.

Started by Freeky, May 31, 2013, 03:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

you found actual published recipes for chili that involved masa flour?

Jesus H Fuck. People should really have to pass a basic competency test before they go telling other people how to make food.

Chili is supposed to be thick, like a stew, but it's supposed to get that from simmering for hours (or days even) not from adding thickening agents, ESPECIALLY ones that aren't that good for thickening and have a very pronounced flavor. It's like some yokel was all 'HEY THURR MABEL, I DINT FELT LIKE MAKIN CORNBRED TO GO WIF THE CHILI TERNIGHT SO I DUN JUST THROWED THE CORNBREAD STUFFS RIGHT IN THE CHILI, SOO-WEE!" and then it got out onto the internet and therefore became something people actually do.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Freeky

O.O   Okay.  I will remember that in the future.

East Coast Hustle

Having read your post in open bar, I just want to clarify that I'm not yelling AT you or belittling you in any way ITT. you just happened to be the person who introduced me to one of those things that just GETS me and then stayed within earshot.

Mind you, I am not the final culinary authority on ANYTHING. If you add some weird shit to your chili and think it's delicious then please don't let me stop you. :lulz:

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Balls Wellington on June 15, 2013, 09:35:49 PM
NO SERIOUSLY YOU PUT MASA FLOUR IN FRIGGIN' CHILI?!?

THAT IS NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE TO BEING THE TINIEST BIT OK.

IT'S SO NOT OK THAT I TOTALLY OVERLOOKED THE LIQUID SMOKE, WHICH IS ALSO VERY MUCH NOT OK BUT NOT TO THE SUPERNOVA-LIKE DEGREE THAT ADDING FLOUR TO CHILI IS.

THERE NEEDS TO BE A "HULKING OUT" EMOTE EXACTLY FOR SITUATIONS LIKE THIS.

FREEKY, SERIOUSLY, MY BLOOD PRESSURE IS STRUGGLING NOT TO BE LIKE THAT WEIRD JAPANESE PUBLIC HEALTH AD GUY.

FLOUR.

IN CHILI.

WHAT FUCKING KIND OF CHILI HAVE YOU BEEN EATING THAT FLOUR MUST BE ADDED TO MAKE IT SEEM RIGHT? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS AT ALL. IT'S LIKE YOU JUST TOLD ME THAT YOU ADDED DOGSHIT TO YOUR BUTERSCOTCH SUNDAE.

Canned chili, is my guess.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on June 15, 2013, 09:56:12 PM
D:  Sorry dude.  Question:  Is masa harina different, if not then I guess I'm dumb?  I found some recipes with and some without, and it was too much like a stew for it to be chili. 

My only defense is I've only ever had to eat my mom's chilli, which was years ago, and she's an awful cook.  Just disgusting.  She can ruin a pot roast in the crock pot.

My guess is that the blame can be placed squarely at the feet of fucking hippies. Fucking hippies should not HAVE internet access, because they do shit like post recipes that put masa in chili and apple cider vinegar in salsa.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It is, however, completely acceptable to toss your pork in masa before you brown it, when you're making a pork green chili.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

But you better be browning that shit in LARD.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 16, 2013, 06:15:46 PM
It is, however, completely acceptable to toss your pork in masa before you brown it, when you're making a pork green chili.

Oh, absolutely! I get upset when I get a chili verde with little shreds of pork instead of nice chunks because whoever cooked it didn't properly dredge and brown the meat.

Freeky

Quote from: Balls Wellington on June 16, 2013, 10:56:55 AM
Having read your post in open bar, I just want to clarify that I'm not yelling AT you or belittling you in any way ITT. you just happened to be the person who introduced me to one of those things that just GETS me and then stayed within earshot.

Mind you, I am not the final culinary authority on ANYTHING. If you add some weird shit to your chili and think it's delicious then please don't let me stop you. :lulz:

Oh don't worry, I kind of figured you weren't yelling at me.  :lulz:  That was completely unrelated. 

It was a pretty amazing meltdown though. :lulz:

Freeky

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 16, 2013, 06:11:45 PM

IT'S SO NOT OK THAT I TOTALLY OVERLOOKED THE LIQUID SMOKE, WHICH IS ALSO VERY MUCH NOT OK BUT NOT TO THE SUPERNOVA-LIKE DEGREE THAT ADDING FLOUR TO CHILI IS.

FREEKY, SERIOUSLY, MY BLOOD PRESSURE IS STRUGGLING NOT TO BE LIKE THAT WEIRD JAPANESE PUBLIC HEALTH AD GUY.

FLOUR.

IN CHILI.

WHAT FUCKING KIND OF CHILI HAVE YOU BEEN EATING THAT FLOUR MUST BE ADDED TO MAKE IT SEEM RIGHT? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS AT ALL. IT'S LIKE YOU JUST TOLD ME THAT YOU ADDED DOGSHIT TO YOUR BUTERSCOTCH SUNDAE.

Canned chili would be better.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on June 16, 2013, 08:35:24 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 16, 2013, 06:11:45 PM

FLOUR.

IN CHILI.

Canned chili would be better.

:(

Freeky

My mother's cooking is atrocious. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My mom used to fry steak in olive oil.

No joke.

Freeky

Mesozoic Mister Nigel