News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

EDIT: I DON'T KNOW CHILI FROM A HOLE IN THE GROUND.

Started by Freeky, May 31, 2013, 03:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

While I do not want a straight up recipe (since I'll be in a competition), I would like to ask if you have any tips for cooking goddamn amazing chili.  Do you have?

Also other people too, I don't mean to be dissing.

East Coast Hustle

Cheap beer.

Depending on the size of the batch, I use a can or two of cheap yellow lager (note: this is the ONLY acceptable use for PBR) to deglaze the pan after the meat is browned.

Specifically, I use that for beef chili. I probably wouldn't use it for pork chili as I usually make chili verde with pork and beer doesn't lend itself to that as well.

Also I prefer my chili powder to be made from 100% ground new mexican chilies.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

oh, and whole metric fucktons of fire-roasted anaheims and poblanos. You can add heat with other peppers, but the flavor from those is killer.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Freeky

I shall use beer if I use beef, then.  Thanks! :D

I may end up needing to eat this for a while, so I'll probably go milder than that.  My mouf, it is de-acclimated to spicy.  :(

LMNO

Take as much time as possible to develop your savory items. I've been told that to get the full effect of sweated onions, they need to be cooked slowly for at least 15-20 minutes. ECH may be able to clarify or debunk that. But the flavor base is essential. Also, you should look into the bean/no-bean controversy.

Also, try to get as much Malliard reaction as you can when searing the meat. All the typical techniques apply: don't crowd the pan, wait before the first flip/stir, etc.

Finally, TASTE AS YOU GO. This is my biggest sin, and I have to keep reminding myself to do this.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My chili secret weapon is jalapenos. They have a very distinctive pepper flavor without adding much heat, which is perfect because I have four picky children.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 31, 2013, 05:59:22 PM
I've been told that to get the full effect of sweated onions

:? 

QuoteAlso, try to get as much Malliard reaction as you can when searing the meat.

:? :? :?

Everything else sounds pretty good, though, and confirmed a lot of what I was already thinking.

East Coast Hustle

The maillard reaction is pretty much what makes cooked food taste good. It's when the natural sugars caramelize leaving that nicely browned outer surface. In other words, whatever kind of meat you decide to use you need to brown it separately before you add it to the pot with everything else.

As for the sweated onions, I suspect that part is a joke people like me play on foodies. The sugars in the onion either caramelize or they don't, and then once they do they either burn or they don't. Whether it happens in 10 minutes or 20 doesn't make much difference, as long as you don't burn them.

Eater of Clowns

I'm a fan of bean chili, controversy be damned!  And if you do bean chili, use fresh beans.  Seriously, canned beans can GTFO.

This also might be a sin, but the best chili I've made has been by dry rubbing turkey thighs and slow cooking them.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

East Coast Hustle

Although I myself usually enjoy more traditional chilis, I have trouble with the idea that something that's basically glorified meat slop is something to get all purist about.

No pineapples, though. Ever. I will choke someone to death with a whisk if I ever see pineapples in chili again.

Cain

Quote from: Balls Wellington on May 31, 2013, 10:16:10 PM
No pineapples, though. Ever. I will choke someone to death with a whisk if I ever see pineapples in chili again.

I just have no words....who is responsible for this atrocity?

Freeky

Pineapples in chilli sounds... kinda gross.

It's tasty on pizza though.

Cain

Eater of Clowns

Have you tried quinoa chili?

Now that sounds tasty.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Eater of Clowns

I won't say anything else about chili, but I will ask you this, Freeky:

How well do you know your audience in the competition?  Because the important thing here isn't your adherence to chili standards - it's theirs.  Will THEY be chili purists?

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.