News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

If we can't see our mistakes, our competence declines

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, June 05, 2013, 05:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

NEAT.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130604153331.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fmind_brain%2Fneuroscience+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Mind+%26+Brain+News+--+Neuroscience%29

QuoteIf people are unable to perceive their own errors as they complete a routine, simple task, their skill will decline over time, Johns Hopkins researchers have found -- but not for the reasons scientists assumed. The researchers report that the human brain does not passively forget our good techniques, but chooses to put aside what it has learned.

The term "motor memories" may conjure images of childhood road trips, but in fact it refers to the reason why we're able to smoothly perform everyday physical tasks. The amount of force needed to lift an empty glass versus a full one, to shut a car door or pick up a box, even to move a limb accurately from one place to another -- all of these are motor memories.

In a report published May 1 in the The Journal of Neuroscience, the Johns Hopkins researchers describe their latest efforts to study how motor memories are formed and lost by focusing on one well-known experimental phenomenon: When people learn to do a task well, but are asked to keep doing it while receiving deliberately misleading feedback indicating that their performance is perfect every time, their actual performance will gradually get worse.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Wow, very cool!

In fencing, my instructor made us run through various drills very slowly and very accurately, specifically to build the motor memories. Later when sparring, if he saw bad behavior, even if it resulted in a successful attack or defense, he'd stop us and make us go back to drills. That style of training makes a lot of sense with this study!

Thanks, Nigel
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 05, 2013, 05:48:41 PM
This is amazing, and explains so many things.

It explains a LOT about why an entire organization can appear hopelessly incompetent or uninformed to an outsider, while within their organization maintaining the belief that their performance is flawless. If they set up a lot of feedback within their closed system that tells them all they're doing great work, and refuse to allow outside feedback in, they are actually triggering a mechanism that tricks their brains into believing they are doing great while the actual quality of their work and information declines.

OH MY GOD

This really explains so so much. It may seem like a small thing but it's really helpful in terms of my primary interest, which is why people are fuck ups.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 05, 2013, 05:57:09 PM

It explains a LOT about why an entire organization can appear hopelessly incompetent or uninformed to an outsider, while within their organization maintaining the belief that their performance is flawless. If they set up a lot of feedback within their closed system that tells them all they're doing great work, and refuse to allow outside feedback in, they are actually triggering a mechanism that tricks their brains into believing they are doing great while the actual quality of their work and information declines.

OH MY GOD

This really explains so so much. It may seem like a small thing but it's really helpful in terms of my primary interest, which is why people are fuck ups.

This explains also why people who come up with ideas on how to do things - and then cannot adjust their idea to fit ugly facts - just get dumber and dumber.

I can think of 2 people I work with that are this way.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 05, 2013, 06:06:21 PM

OH MY GOD

This explains also why people who come up with ideas on how to do things - and then cannot adjust their idea to fit ugly facts - just get dumber and dumber.

You mean the ones who try to force reality to bend to fit their ideas? :lol:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 05, 2013, 06:07:49 PM

OH MY GOD

"That is very inconvenient.  Can't you just make it go for a lousy 12 hours?"
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 05, 2013, 06:12:55 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 05, 2013, 06:07:49 PM

OH MY GOD

"That is very inconvenient.  Can't you just make it go for a lousy 12 hours?"

:lulz: Yeah.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

This is highly interesting. And it makes want to e-mail this whole thread to my old boss. Here's why what you are doing is 100% counter-productive, you fuck-wit.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Cain

This also explains why the school of thought that says "let them build their confidence up" in education generally is such a wildly bad idea. 

Q. G. Pennyworth

This is totally relevant to shit going down right now. I hate how dumb smart people can be.

Anna Mae Bollocks

OH MY GOD

This might explain whole organizations and authorities and governments. I mean yeah, they get criticized, but they hang out with each other. It's a closed circle. They listen to EACH OTHER, right?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: stelz on June 06, 2013, 03:54:13 AM

OH MY GOD

This might explain whole organizations and authorities and governments. I mean yeah, they get criticized, but they hang out with each other. It's a closed circle. They listen to EACH OTHER, right?

Bingo.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on June 05, 2013, 07:23:59 PM
This also explains why the school of thought that says "let them build their confidence up" in education generally is such a wildly bad idea.

YES.

Positive feedback is definitely an important part of the learning process. It's just that without negative feedback, it's meaningless.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 05, 2013, 07:19:59 PM
This is highly interesting. And it makes want to e-mail this whole thread to my old boss. Here's why what you are doing is 100% counter-productive, you fuck-wit.

Except he won't listen, because you're not inside his parameters for feedback.