News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

If we can't see our mistakes, our competence declines

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, June 05, 2013, 05:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

This reminds me of "Government Runs on Bad Signal"

Pæs

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 06, 2013, 04:03:27 AM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 05, 2013, 07:19:59 PM
This is highly interesting. And it makes want to e-mail this whole thread to my old boss. Here's why what you are doing is 100% counter-productive, you fuck-wit.

Except he won't listen, because you're not inside his parameters for feedback.

See, I knew my occasional historical "here's some feedback about why you're a dick for your own good" conversations with people were just me wanting to yell at them but until this sentence I didn't FULLY understand why they were no more than that.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Reginald Ret

Cool!
I already give quite a lot of feedback at work, but i will endeavor to make more of a point of it.
Luckily we have a general rule here: If you make a mistake you get to fix it yourself.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

GrannySmith

I like this article a lot - when I'm back from the doc i'm sending this to certain people i know  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: (after i read it again myself)

and it explains a lot for me too, for people of all ages! 
  X  

tyrannosaurus vex

Is the reverse true? I'm imagining a link between this phenomenon and the (future?) practice of governments purposely initiating, funding, and motivating violent opposition movements. If consistent synthetic false positive feedback results in declining performance, would intentional sabotage and synthetic negative feedback to an otherwise effective process result in performance gains?
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: V3X on June 25, 2013, 06:45:21 AM
Is the reverse true? I'm imagining a link between this phenomenon and the (future?) practice of governments purposely initiating, funding, and motivating violent opposition movements. If consistent synthetic false positive feedback results in declining performance, would intentional sabotage and synthetic negative feedback to an otherwise effective process result in performance gains?

Nope. Accurate feedback result in accurate performance gains, inaccurate feedback results in inaccurate performance gains.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

I read this every day before the morning meeting.

For my own benefit, not for laughing at assholes.  I do that anyway.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 25, 2013, 03:08:26 PM

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 25, 2013, 03:08:26 PM

:lulz:

Excellent idea!!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Golden Applesauce

Remember that accurate feedback also includes telling people when they've done well. If people put in extra effort to do something the right way but don't get any feedback that the extra effort added extra value, they'll eventually start cutting corners.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on July 04, 2013, 03:15:26 AM
Remember that accurate feedback also includes telling people when they've done well. If people put in extra effort to do something the right way but don't get any feedback that the extra effort added extra value, they'll eventually start cutting corners.

Damn straight! If they get no positive feedback, they have no reinforcement, they have no positive outcome... so there's nothing to keep them going in the right direction.

I think we see that sometimes here on PD. Occasionally, we're all in a mood where we shit on each others heads and it rolls into a big mess... other times, we shit on each other AND give mittens where due and the quality of discussion seems to rise.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson