News:

PD.com: You wont believe our bullshit

Main Menu

Prism and Verizon surveillance discussion thread

Started by Junkenstein, June 06, 2013, 02:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

The hiring process for these places is going to become even crazier. The screening process will now include more questions about patriotism and how much do you love your country. And even more questions about how far you're willing to go to betray the country you love so much in order to keep government and corporate secrets, which are more important.

I had a really funny dream to that effect and I'm trying to remember it.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 22, 2013, 09:36:23 PM
The hiring process for these places is going to become even crazier. The screening process will now include more questions about patriotism and how much do you love your country. And even more questions about how far you're willing to go to betray the country you love so much in order to keep government and corporate secrets, which are more important.

I had a really funny dream to that effect and I'm trying to remember it.

I was seriously looking at applying to the NSA out of college (major occupations for math majors that involve actual math are 1) teaching math 2) Exotic Financial Products and 3) the NSA). Only reason I didn't was that I put off the job hunt too late, so the 6 month+ process to get the appropriate security clearance would have been that many months without a job. Crypto and infosec are sexy.

And now my name is signed on to https://optin.stopwatching.us . Probably ruins my chance if I ever decide to sell my soul and apply. Well, that and the OM:F posters where I illegally appropriated the DoHS seal to make them look official.

I wonder how many current math & related majors have decided that they will never consider applying for the NSA after this. I really hope it puts a dent in their recruitment. There aren't all that many people who have the right aptitude and education to be truly good at the kinds of math the NSA needs - they wouldn't need to alienate very many to cut off their talent stream.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: stelz on June 22, 2013, 08:58:42 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on June 18, 2013, 02:18:37 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22952011

NOT HELPING DAD:

Quotehe father of Edward Snowden, the ex-CIA worker who leaked top secret information on US surveillance programmes, has issued a public plea urging his son to not commit "treason".

"I hope, I pray and ask that you will not release any secrets that could constitute treason," Lon Snowden said in an interview with Fox News.

He also asked his son, currently in hiding in Hong Kong, to "face justice".

With friends like these....

With a DAD like that.
Poor bastard.  :cry:

If someone was in possession of damaging secrets and currently out of reach - and those secrets were damning enough that I was desperate - getting loved ones to beg him not to release those secrets is one of the better plays I can think of.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Junkenstein

Word is Snowden's on his way to Moscow.

Hong Kong washing it's hands with class. I doubt it'll do their FOI request any good though.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Irony:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2013/06/us-seemingly-unaware-of-irony-in-accusing-snowden-of-spying.html?green

QuoteAt a press conference to discuss the accusations, an N.S.A. spokesman surprised observers by announcing the spying charges against Mr. Snowden with a totally straight face.

"These charges send a clear message," the spokesman said. "In the United States, you can't spy on people."

Not new, I just love that this guy was able to do it with a totally straight face.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Snowden's passport was revoked, suggesting he left Hong Kong with Russian assistance.  Rumours have it that he's meeting with Ecuadorean diplomats in Russia as well. 

Ecuador has a...difficult relationship with the USA.  Rafael Correa is one of those left wing South American populist types - refuses to recognize the debt incurred on the behalf of previous regimes, which he describes as corrupt and despotic (accurately), uses Ecuador's oil reserves to fund poverty relief programs, tightly controlling the banking sector...all those things which the US government does not like.

In 2010, there was a coup attempt, officially caused by "the passage of a bill that would end the practice of giving medals and bonuses with each promotion."  Unofficially, of course, there was significant American backing to the plan, especially since Correa had shut down their air base in the country (well, not renewed the contract for it.  Same thing, to people who think they own South America).  Sure, after the event, Hillary Clinton disavowed all knowledge of the event and declared US government support for democratic rule in Ecuador, but there have been a lot of coup attempts in a lot of left wing South American countries since Obama took power, and the deep links between the Ecuadorean military and the US have done nothing to dissuade such suspicions. 

All in all, Ecuador's not a bad choice, if you want to avoid jail, or accusations of treason.  It is, however, suboptimal from the viewpoint of using the global media, and there is an extradition treaty between the country and the USA, though Ecuadorean courts may give him asylum, if the political pressure is significant enough.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 24, 2013, 09:12:12 AM
Irony:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2013/06/us-seemingly-unaware-of-irony-in-accusing-snowden-of-spying.html?green

QuoteAt a press conference to discuss the accusations, an N.S.A. spokesman surprised observers by announcing the spying charges against Mr. Snowden with a totally straight face.

"These charges send a clear message," the spokesman said. "In the United States, you can't spy on people."

Not new, I just love that this guy was able to do it with a totally straight face.

Wow.  Fucking wow.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

McGrupp

The more I see the US embarrass themselves in handling Snowden, the more I'm reminded of Princess Leia's line to Moff Tarkin in Star Wars:

QuoteThe more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.

Junkenstein

Only this case, Vader chokes her, explodes R2 on sight and sends the Navy to Yavin 4 rather than the exclusive prototype.

Or something. There's no happy ending here anywhere. This is the perfect excuse to make secret things more secret. I see this as their opportunity to take it to the wall, on the quiet. I'll bet you a limb that's what happens too.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Irony:

Absolutely just wow.  :horrormirth:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Left

Irony:

Is that author a parody writer?
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2013/06/taliban-named-best-place-to-work-2013.html
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Cain

Yes, he is.

Yet another tragic case of "PDer unable to recognise satire" syndrome.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on June 25, 2013, 03:44:50 AM
Yes, he is.

Yet another tragic case of "PDer unable to recognise satire" syndrome.

It's not that, Cain, so much as satire was rendered obsolete in 2008.
Molon Lube