News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

Prism and Verizon surveillance discussion thread

Started by Junkenstein, June 06, 2013, 02:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demolition Squid

They killed the News of the World with phonehacking. They're going to try and kill the Guardian over this, because just like detaining the journalist's partner, it sends a message.

And I suspect the media will cave and report only whatever 'national security' risks get trumpeted, instead of actually trying to explain to people why these violations are a bad thing that deserves to be exposed. I've heard variations on 'if you've got nothing to hide you shouldn't be worried' so many times around this story already.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Cain

=

Demolition Squid

Hm, I hadn't looked at it like that.

That's good. A few people I know have been squealing about how the journalists are 'basically terrorists' for a while, and I'd really hate for that to become more mainstream, but hopefully they'll move on if GCHQ get a slap on the wrist.

Demolition Squid

Wasn't sure where to put this... but it gave me a chuckle anyway. Mark Steel responds to the fact the US have been hacking Angela Merkel's phone: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/no-wonder-the-us-is-spying-on-merkel-i-mean-you-never-know-8902183.html

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Demolition Squid

He's gone, I presume it is related to the Atheism thread, but... he didn't actually say, I don't think.

Hopefully he'll be back.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Demolition Squid on October 25, 2013, 09:17:45 AM
He's gone, I presume it is related to the Atheism thread, but... he didn't actually say, I don't think.

Hopefully he'll be back.

Well that's a fucking shame. Tried a PM but blocked. My other guess was RWHN related, but I doubt that.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Faust

Hopefully he'll be back.

As far as I know there's around three people gone from that thread.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Pæs

Hopefully he'll be back.

Respectable effort removing his posts back as far as October 18 too.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on October 25, 2013, 09:30:53 AM

Hopefully he'll be back.

Y'know, I can't really respect that. Something about fragile egos and childish tantrums. Fuck, if that's all it took to wound their fee-fees so much they're leaving and never coming back and can't engage in a dialogue about it because somebody said they're insecure... FFS.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

You know the words, sing along!

"HA"

"HA HA HA"

"HA HA HA HA HAAAAAIIIEEE"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24652419

QuoteThe European Parliament has voted to suspend the sharing of financial data with the US, following allegations that citizens' data was spied on.

The allegation forms part of leaked documents from whistleblower Edward Snowden.

The vote is non-binding but illustrates MEPs' growing unease over how much data was shared with the US.

"We're not going to share the information you already have access to"

QuoteMeanwhile student group, europe v facebook, is launching a fresh attack on how deeply the social network was involved in the US spying programme.

It has won the right for a review of why the Irish data protection commissioner is not investigating the amount of European data shared with the US.

Commissioner Billy Hawkes has previously claimed that there "is nothing to investigate" over Facebook's role in the PRISM programme.

Smooth going Ireland. The "Nothing to see, move along" card.

In short, impotent rage continues about the US reading EU communications. I don't know why they're all so upset. Must have something to hide.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 25, 2013, 02:27:14 PM
Quote from: Faust on October 25, 2013, 09:30:53 AM

Hopefully he'll be back.

Y'know, I can't really respect that. Something about fragile egos and childish tantrums. Fuck, if that's all it took to wound their fee-fees so much they're leaving and never coming back and can't engage in a dialogue about it because somebody said they're insecure... FFS.

Hadn't seen this post.

I couldn't help noticing Coyote's FIRST POST TO ME in that thread.  If that's how he's going to behave, then to hell with him.  He can kiss my ass until it blisters.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Demolition Squid

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 29, 2013, 09:47:09 PM
From The We Don't Say That Shit Out Loud Department:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/29/21233196-spy-chief-clapper-weve-been-snooping-on-our-friends-for-years?lite

I think this ties into what I said in the other thread.

I get the impression the reaction isn't about genuine outrage, because it likely was known. Nor is it about the 'scale' which is what some people have said. (Oh we knew there was spying, just not on this scale...!)

Its about sending a message, and the message is 'you don't intimidate us any more'. Given US foreign policy has been largely based on intimidation, that's a scary message to hear.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Demolition Squid on October 29, 2013, 10:07:55 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 29, 2013, 09:47:09 PM
From The We Don't Say That Shit Out Loud Department:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/29/21233196-spy-chief-clapper-weve-been-snooping-on-our-friends-for-years?lite

I think this ties into what I said in the other thread.

I get the impression the reaction isn't about genuine outrage, because it likely was known. Nor is it about the 'scale' which is what some people have said. (Oh we knew there was spying, just not on this scale...!)

Its about sending a message, and the message is 'you don't intimidate us any more'. Given US foreign policy has been largely based on intimidation, that's a scary message to hear.

Well, it's more than that.  It's a mocking jig because our incompetent asses got caught doing what every other major player does.

Which is, when you think about it, entirely deserved.