News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

Open Bar MMXIV^2: Solace of Quantum

Started by Cain, June 05, 2013, 11:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGrupp

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on July 11, 2013, 01:32:24 AM
Quote from: McGrupp on July 11, 2013, 01:25:25 AM
Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on July 10, 2013, 05:36:00 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 10, 2013, 05:50:49 AM
Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on July 09, 2013, 10:01:41 PM
Went to interview.  They don't want me.  The disappoint is strong in this one.

Condolences! Did they give you any useful feedback about why? Sometimes if you ask, interviewers will give you pointers about what you need to change.

As far as I can tell, my first big mistake was admitting I was tired (this bit went "Hello, how are you today?"  "I'm doing pretty okay!"  "Just pretty okay?"  "Well, I'm a bit tired..."  "Not a very good way to start an interview, is it?"  "D:"), and my other mistakes were being honest about flaws I used to exhibit, and finally I only have volunteer experience that I've been at for six months or more. 

Very discouraging.

Damn, that sucks. Sounds like they were downright evil. Seems to me volunteer experience should be a positive as it shows you took initiative and want to work in the field. I hope you keep at it and find a good place.

Not evil, a call center.  The client in particular I was interviewing for was a utility company.  I volunteer at a hobby game store.

Oh I gotcha. Still, I sympathize.  I've always hated interviewing, especially when they seem to ding people for honesty.

Freeky

Salty

Job Interview Tip#1:

They pay you to be a plastic meat machine who eats shit and shits profit, if they pay you.

They do not pay you for virtues, ever.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Salty

Job Interview Tip#2:
If it bombs, find out where they use a toilet ever and UPPER DECK THOSE BASTARDS!

Freeky

I've been doing the eat shit and shit profit angle, though!  I've been doing it crazy hard!  "What do you want to accomplish if we hire you here?" (or variants) 

"I want to do the best I can for the good of The Company.  I think I would be a great asset." Usually verbatim.

East Coast Hustle

You gotta make it sound less canned. They're usually more interested in hearing that you have ambition and/or stability.

"I'm hoping to improve my (relevant skills) to the point where this becomes a stable full-time job with advancement potential."

"I'm looking to become somebody that (company) comes to rely on and maybe eventually considers for promotion."

etc.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Salty

Fucking assclown, so-called healthcare professionals who are doing their cost of living calculations based on economic principles of the 20th Fucking century should be flayed with rusty medical equipment.

IMHO.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Balls Wellington on July 10, 2013, 04:44:16 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 10, 2013, 03:04:47 PM
Quote from: Balls Wellington on July 10, 2013, 06:25:15 AM
So it looks like I may have some big decisions to make pretty soon. I was informed today that I will have first crack at interviewing for the KM position at the brand-spanking-new Mountlake Terrace location that will be opening sometime around the end of the year or early 2014. It's gonna be even bigger than the one I'm at now with a banquet room for catered parties as well. Should be quite the interesting challenge and if the money is right it might be hard to turn down, except I'm not sure I wanna keep doing this for a living at all and I was starting to get serious about the idea of going to school to learn something completely different. So I guess I need to figure that out. I'm hoping it will all be made a moot point and that either my old Chief Engineer will call me to tell me that the new Phoenix gig is a go or that my old Captain has been playing phone/facebook tag with me for a week from Africa because there's some need for my particular skill set in Ghana.

I pull for school, simply because the idea of ECH The Scientist is TERRIFYING.

Not that you necessarily want to go into science, but, you know.

I'd actually really like to go into food science but that would probably mean moving to Corvallis since OSU is where to go for that program. The other thing that has my interest piqued is a GIS Certificate which only requires 45 credits, has myriad interesting employment applications, and dovetails with my personal interests.

Both of those would be pretty cool.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on July 10, 2013, 05:27:49 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 10, 2013, 05:56:43 AM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on July 10, 2013, 04:08:38 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 10, 2013, 04:05:58 AM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on July 10, 2013, 04:02:47 AM
Someday, PD. Someday I will make waffles for all of you. Then you'll be sorry.
I dunno. You started a thread asking for terrible ideas, and then kept rejecting those ideas.

Not scared.

I made the quinoa waffles!

OMG really???? Were they tasty?

Really really, recipe's in the recipe thread. I didn't get a chance to try them, unfortunately, but I have been assured they were better than the radish waffles.

:lol: Damned with faint praise?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: Balls Wellington on July 11, 2013, 03:51:39 AM
You gotta make it sound less canned. They're usually more interested in hearing that you have ambition and/or stability.

"I'm hoping to improve my (relevant skills) to the point where this becomes a stable full-time job with advancement potential."

"I'm looking to become somebody that (company) comes to rely on and maybe eventually considers for promotion."

etc.

I've got my hands full not looking like a deer in the headlights OR thinking only of being able to buy food this week, to be honest.  Thanks for the tip, though, I'll figure out something more natural sounding.

LMNO

Quote from: stelz on July 10, 2013, 03:02:12 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 10, 2013, 05:55:48 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 10, 2013, 03:39:09 AM
The first person to say "Mercury Retrograde" gets my fist in their ass.

THANK YOU

Although I've been considering starting to say it over every trivial setback, just because.

I forgot to bring lunch today. MERCURY RETROGRADE!

My car's check engine light came on. MERCURY RETROGRADE!

I was late to class. MERCURY RETROGRADE!

Bad dreams last night. MERCURY RETROGRADE!

Classmate annoyed me with irrelevant question. MERCURY RETROGRADE!

"I know it's important, I'll send it WHEN THE MERCURY RETROGRADE IS OVER."

Because you know you want it...

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Cain

Naples > everything else.

Not least because they throw obvious tourists into the bay in the Latin Quarter...making it the perfect place to get a cheap drink or 10.

LMNO

And your secret espionage outfit somehow blends in with the locals?

Cain

Alas, it needs to be washed so I am wearing jeans and a shirt.