News:

There are no innocents, only the squeamish and the aroused.

Main Menu

Open Bar MMXIV^2: Solace of Quantum

Started by Cain, June 05, 2013, 11:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Balls Wellington on June 09, 2013, 10:56:32 PM
Does anyone else have trouble reconciling the idea that everything that makes us happy is pretty superficial and all of the horror is incredibly visceral and fundamental?

Is it just me?

Not just you. It has kept me up at night, before.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Does anyone else have trouble reconciling the idea that everything that makes us happy is pretty superficial and all of the horror is incredibly visceral and fundamental?

Is it just me?

Maybe a more cheery way of looking at it is that the good in life is what we are designed to expect as the default, so the bad has a much more profound impact.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Left

Is it just me?

A lot of happiness is very superficial.
Seize it anyway.
When you feel those sunlit moments, savor them.
They are torches to carry in the darkness when you get to walk through hell.

Too...refusing to feel one's pain fully means you block out the joy as well.
So when you hurt, hurt.
Let it pass like a wave.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

AFK

I dunno, really, I think life is much more mundane than that.  If you really factor in every second of your existence, I'd say about 95% of it is simply "meh".   In that 5% you have your crystallized happiness and crystallized sadness.  If that happiness is based on the superficial, that is unfortunate.  And we've all been there, it is only human.  But somewhere along the way, I think it was during the divorce, I said "fuck that noise" and true, deep, meaningful happiness is all I'm entertaining in my life. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 09, 2013, 05:47:17 PM
Your people are delicate, fragile; specially adapted to live in Northern regions where there is little sun, more southern climates are dangerous to you.

Like precious, rare flowers, you should be gathered up and sheltered on vast Northern preserves where your beauty will not be threatened by the terrible, terrible sun.

this pale assed white lady agrees!

Salty

My wife and I got kicked out of the Northway Mall for kissing today. This same mall that is known far and wide for its Planet Fitness, bathroom bum sexyteim, and no customers. And the grocery store where I held a bag of organic carrots and embraced my significant other.

Oh man. I am going to have so much fun with this.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

LMNO

Quote from: Misery's Fried Dough on June 10, 2013, 12:30:42 AM
I'd say about 95% of it is simply "meh".

Really? Wow. I'm not sure you're really paying attention.

Doktor Howl

One of you Brit-tards, pop around to Elton John's place and tell him to stop dying his hair.  It's starting to look REALLY creepy.
Molon Lube

Cain

B-but, that's the only form of fun that Cameron has not yet outlawed  :sad:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on June 10, 2013, 01:50:27 AM
My wife and I got kicked out of the Northway Mall for kissing today. This same mall that is known far and wide for its Planet Fitness, bathroom bum sexyteim, and no customers. And the grocery store where I held a bag of organic carrots and embraced my significant other.

I would say a letter to the editor is in order. MARRIED COUPLE EJECTED FROM MALL FOR KISSING! SHAME AND SCANDAL!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Do any of you spags skateboard? I'm thinking about getting a longboard.

Left

Quote from: Alty on June 10, 2013, 01:50:27 AM

Looking forward to the kiss-ins supporting heterosexual rights.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 10, 2013, 06:56:28 AM
Do any of you spags skateboard? I'm thinking about getting a longboard.

Not in a LONG time, but when I lived in Mammoth I used to use my roommate's longboard to get to and from work sometimes. It's great exercise and reasonably fun as long as the grades are gentle. I have no useful advice regarding gear or anything like that.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Got an unconditional offer to go back to Uni in Septemeber.

Finally.  Only three weeks over schedule on that answer, guys.  I was about to ask for a revised answer timetable.  But yes.  At least I know now.

Doktor Howl

Going to do some writing today, once the dust settles.
Molon Lube