I'm painting miniatures for tabletop RPGS and they look like shit

Started by Don Coyote, June 18, 2013, 02:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

Where are the ones that look like shit? I clicked on this thread to get a reassuring dose of mediocrity and all I see is talent and awesome. Thread failed to deliver, thumbs down!
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Telarus on June 19, 2013, 05:44:56 AM
A) Those look AWESOME. I approve of this spaggotry.

B) I happen to have run across some figurine painting tricks:

The Dip Method: http://seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/miniatures/speedpainting_thedip/

The dipping color can also be a thinned down dark gloss. The thinned version pools darker colors in the crevices.

Then you can drybrush on top of that to bring out the highlights: http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_painting_drybrushing.html

I'll probably try the do method when I have a sizable number of minis that are part of a unit of some kind.

Don Coyote

Quote from: V3X on June 25, 2013, 06:28:19 AM
Where are the ones that look like shit? I clicked on this thread to get a reassuring dose of mediocrity and all I see is talent and awesome. Thread failed to deliver, thumbs down!

Guess you missed this travesty.
Quote from: Don Coyote on June 24, 2013, 08:43:02 PM

Don Coyote

Townsfolk

My bard

My wife's old barbarian.

And more mechs.
I recently got a Battletech Classic Hunchback IIc.
I'm going to paint it orange with pink tiger stripes and paint the autocannons to look like speakers. It shall be a mech that fights with the power of WUBWUBWUB.

Elder Iptuous

Fun!  :)
I was painting these some last year, and now that things are starting to get a little less hectic, i'd like to start up again.

have you checked out coolminiornot.com?
there's some bad ass motivation thar!

also, i found that the right paints make all the difference in the world. (not that i'm really great or anything)  i was using some testors model paints that i picked up from hobby lobby and they didn't look too hot.
invested in some miniatures paints from the comic shop, and immediately improved. 
oh.  and a desk magnifying glass/lamp that my wife got me for my birthday helped a ton, too....
oh, and, AND.  i made a pintle so i can hold on to it, rather than the miniature itself when paining.  that helps a lot too.  able to keep it much steadier, and not bump it so damned much.  i just took a playdoh container, punched a few holes in the bottom, and some small zip ties to hold the mini on it, and that works like a charm.  they have fancier ways, but i'm cheap if i can be.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on June 28, 2013, 07:12:10 PM
oh, and, AND.  i made a pintle so i can hold on to it, rather than the miniature itself when paining.  that helps a lot too.  able to keep it much steadier, and not bump it so damned much.  i just took a playdoh container, punched a few holes in the bottom, and some small zip ties to hold the mini on it, and that works like a charm.  they have fancier ways, but i'm cheap if i can be.

If I had some empty playdoh containers I would try that.

And my wife just had to start painting mini's and make me look bad.

But I have a pink and orange hunchback so I'm happy.

And a wizard.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I never noticed that all the female mini things have great breasticular fortitude. Even the monster chicks. O.o
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on July 15, 2013, 05:36:08 AM
I never noticed that all the female mini things have great breasticular fortitude. Even the monster chicks. O.o
probably because the assumed target market are horny young men.

Don Coyote

although I should mention that my male bard figure was originally a female cleric figure. the only alterations I did was remove the holy symbol and replace it with a lute.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on July 15, 2013, 05:36:08 AM

It's a constant problem. When I got a mini for my daughter I had to specify something without tits to here (there was exactly one that worked).

Don Coyote

Because my Pathfinder group lost a player and gained two newbies the GM is starting a new campaign.  No sweat of my back because I only played one session in the last one.  But new character means new mini.
So here is Kytharerl