News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

I fucking HAET PUA's

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, June 20, 2013, 09:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

Doktor Howl

What's not to hate?  They are empty people.

Molon Lube

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 20, 2013, 09:35:59 PM

Man I want to do an enthusiastic consent for idiots vid. That would be fun.

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pixie on June 20, 2013, 09:38:41 PM

Reading the article, even if a person behaved the way he says he told them to behave, ie, back off when told to stop, the very idea of the PUA is - again - commodifying people.

So even if viewed in the best possible light, they are shitnecks.
Molon Lube

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 20, 2013, 09:40:43 PM
Quote from: Pixie on June 20, 2013, 09:38:41 PM

Reading the article, even if a person behaved the way he says he told them to behave, ie, back off when told to stop, the very idea of the PUA is - again - commodifying people.

So even if viewed in the best possible light, they are shitnecks.

Yup. Women aren't alien creatures.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cainad (dec.)

I forget who it was, but a while back someone here posted a plausible explanation as to why so many dudes get sucked into the PUA garbage. Something about how re-framing sexual relationships as a "game" with "rules" and "strategies" makes it more digestible for the kind of shy, awkward nerds who really just want a girlfriend but have no idea how to get one.

They don't necessarily want to objectify/commodify women, but they've been led to believe that women are all somehow so completely different from themselves that they can't approach them as fellow human beings. The narrative of how men and women are different is so vigorously beaten into us from a very young age that it sometimes takes some serious effort to de-program that bullshit.

Probably the first and foremost thing that needs to be explained to these kinds of guys is that framing sexual relationships as somehow inherently adversarial is kind of completely fucked up.

Anna Mae Bollocks

And the delicious irony in all this horror is that the adversarial thing makes them sexually repulsive.  :lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Junkenstein

Seems very plausible. I've seen game theory applied in some very creepy ways as examples to illustrate social phenomena.

The adversarial thing is key. The relationships become zero-sum games very quickly, hence nasty divorces, affairs and other issues. Something something charile sheen shouting winning is somehow related to this too. I'm tired, will rant about this tomorrow when thinking straight.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: stelz on June 20, 2013, 10:37:02 PM
And the delicious irony in all this horror is that the adversarial thing makes them sexually repulsive.  :lol:

Reminds me of the xkcd comic that took a hearty stab at PUA: http://xkcd.com/1027/

Apparently a pretty massive shitstorm blew up around this one, although I don't have a good example to link to.

Cain

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Cain on June 20, 2013, 11:42:55 PM
I remember witnessing that shitstorm in real time

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=81485&hilit=Pickup+Artist

that thread was GLORIOUS!

teh PUA's got SO bent out of shape with that one. Apparently threads like that get shut down pretty quickly.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on June 20, 2013, 11:42:55 PM
I remember witnessing that shitstorm in real time

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=81485&hilit=Pickup+Artist

Woo-hoohoo! :lulz: One of the finer moments in the Internet's recent meltdown history.

Pope Pixie Pickle

I'd be up for trolling PUA's.