Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

I fucking HAET PUA's

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, June 20, 2013, 09:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: hylierandom, A.D.D. on June 20, 2013, 11:56:54 PM
Quote from: Cainad on June 20, 2013, 10:27:44 PM
I forget who it was, but a while back someone here posted a plausible explanation as to why so many dudes get sucked into the PUA garbage. Something about how re-framing sexual relationships as a "game" with "rules" and "strategies" makes it more digestible for the kind of shy, awkward nerds who really just want a girlfriend but have no idea how to get one.
That's a pretty charitable way to look at it.

I've never heard the term "negging."  That's nasty shit.

...What these guys do is disgusting.

Before I ever heard of PUA, I remember guys trying these techniques on me and just being confused... WTF? Why is this guy being such a freak? In some cases, they were guys I might have been interested in if they hadn't been acting so fucking weird.

After I learned about the PUA scene and understood what was going on, my thought process was, this probably works on a certain percentage of women. What kind of women would it work on? Probably really insecure women with low self-esteem who come from family backgrounds that were emotionally abusive, if not physically abusive, and therefore on a fundamental and unconscious level don't believe that they are deserving of interactions that are more whole, or interactions that don't pluck at their sense of inadequacy.

And then I was sad, both for those women and for the men who fall for PUA and really don't know that all they are doing is furthering their own social dysfunction and eventual inevitable emotional pain by engaging in dysfunctional relationships with seriously damaged women.

Sure, there are some helpful messages about getting out there and meeting people, but they are inadequate shadows of the help these men could be getting through a good therapist or even a book such as the one by Horney that someone mentioned in the xkcd thread.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 22, 2013, 04:41:26 PM
Quote from: hylierandom, A.D.D. on June 20, 2013, 11:56:54 PM
Quote from: Cainad on June 20, 2013, 10:27:44 PM
I forget who it was, but a while back someone here posted a plausible explanation as to why so many dudes get sucked into the PUA garbage. Something about how re-framing sexual relationships as a "game" with "rules" and "strategies" makes it more digestible for the kind of shy, awkward nerds who really just want a girlfriend but have no idea how to get one.
That's a pretty charitable way to look at it.

I've never heard the term "negging."  That's nasty shit.

...What these guys do is disgusting.

Before I ever heard of PUA, I remember guys trying these techniques on me and just being confused... WTF? Why is this guy being such a freak? In some cases, they were guys I might have been interested in if they hadn't been acting so fucking weird.

After I learned about the PUA scene and understood what was going on, my thought process was, this probably works on a certain percentage of women. What kind of women would it work on? Probably really insecure women with low self-esteem who come from family backgrounds that were emotionally abusive, if not physically abusive, and therefore on a fundamental and unconscious level don't believe that they are deserving of interactions that are more whole, or interactions that don't pluck at their sense of inadequacy.

And then I was sad, both for those women and for the men who fall for PUA and really don't know that all they are doing is furthering their own social dysfunction and eventual inevitable emotional pain by engaging in dysfunctional relationships with seriously damaged women.

Sure, there are some helpful messages about getting out there and meeting people, but they are inadequate shadows of the help these men could be getting through a good therapist or even a book such as the one by Horney that someone mentioned in the xkcd thread.

Not to mention preying on women who are vulnerable because people fucked them up.

I do think of them as predators.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: stelz on June 22, 2013, 07:34:48 PM
I do think of them as predators.

Ditto. Predator ranging from derpy to destructive depending on the PUA in question. Some of these guys make me laugh until I cry with their attempts, though.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

This thread is getting a lot of hits from random guests. :P

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 22, 2013, 08:05:55 PM
This thread is getting a lot of hits from random guests. :P

PUA googlers?

GOOD.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Anna Mae Bollocks

Careful, don't neg...they'll think you WANT them.

The Johnny

http://www.laddertheory.com/

:hosrie:

Not sure if worth the analysis or just let it be, oh woe!
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 23, 2013, 12:26:15 AM
Quote from: The Johnny on June 22, 2013, 11:38:37 PM

WOWWWWWWWWW

That right there is special. I want you to know I'm rating you all right now. On a ladder.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 23, 2013, 12:32:15 AM

WOWWWWWWWWW

That right there is special. I want you to know I'm rating you all right now. On a ladder.

BUT WHICH LADDER?

Remember men, women will value your intelligence and sense of humor but they'd always rather fuck an unemployed alcoholic or an outlaw biker. Consider a career in crime.

The Johnny

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 23, 2013, 12:32:15 AM

WOWWWWWWWWW

*simulates "alpha male" patterns of behaviour to pique your interest, then dissapear for a week to keep you intrigued*
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

TBH i lurked there for like 6 months, so i kinda know more than i should, never quite bought it do.

-B.F. Skinner