News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

The blessings of Greyface

Started by Ben, December 07, 2004, 12:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Prickly
Quote from: Z¬?I dont go to UNO because I'm not currently in school, I'm not sure how you'd know me, except that I live at the powerpad and until recently this is where they did hardcore/punk shows (ever since the Cog Factory shut down, may it rest in peace.)

Satans Pizza used to be downtown in the seventies, I believe where Howard Street was (until very recently). From what I understand, back in that day, the old market was nothing more than head shops/record stores... which isnt much different than what it is now, just with more crap and a couple bookstores. This is all heresay, of course, and I was skeptical at first... but I've heard it now from two different sources (unrelated) so I'm pretty sure its true.

I couldnt tell you much about myself that would give you any clue if you knew me, because a lot of that depends on who you know... there is a good chance of it, because I know the way this town works. Anyway, I'm 22 and I used to go to Central High School... I also used to go out to a lot of shows, and I know a lot of people in the local music shit (I cant think of a better way to put it.).

Anyway, you and I are probably two out of maybe twenty or thirty registered libertarians in the county.

Actually, there are about 3000 registered Libertarians statewide (only 75 or so of whom have paid dues to the party itself, but we won't get mad at the rest of the 3000 since they at least vote for us). Anyway, the NE LP has meetings the second or third or so sunday of each month (I think it's the third sunday) at 1pm at Godfather's Pizza on 70somethingth and Pacific (the one in the same shopping center as Lee's, which is a damn good chinese place).

I'm 21, but went to Burke, and am not into the local music scene at all, so we've probably never met, unless you've been to any Libertarian events and I just didn't notice.

Also, I happen to work at the Taco Bell at 120th & Center (the shopping center with the Baker's that used to be an Albertson's and before that an empty shell of a store, and before that a HyVee). The earliest I start work is about 7pm, some nights I don't start until 10pm, but if you happen to come through really late one night and there's a guy with long brown hair working the drive through, say a Hail Eris.

See ya at some Libertarian evenst? :) I'm a political science major, so I'll probably be Nebraska's campaign coordinator in 2006, so volunteers are always appreciated.

*volunteers you*

I might come to one of those things some time, my room-mate used to go on a semi-regular basis, but its hard to motivate me to get out of the house being as that I either use our shitty-ass public transit, or else I walk.

I live midtown, and rarely go that far out west, unless it really suits my fancy to do so.

... and as far as local music goes, I dont blame you at all. Our local music scene is, primarily, crap. I live in a house that did shows, and I can think of maybe four local bands that I've liked over the past six years. Thats not saying that I havent been friends with people in bands over that time, I have been, and with one notable exception they were all crap.

Anyway, I'll add you to my AIM list so I can shout out some idle banter at you sometime.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Prickly
blah blah blah at 1pm at Godfather's Pizza on 70somethingth and Pacific (the one in the same shopping center as Lee's, which is a damn good chinese place).

Goatfucker's Pizza is the devil...and Omaha is the center of their deviltry...

8)

Turd Ferguson,
Ex-General Manager of 3 Goatfucker's locations in Pugetopolis
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Prickly

Quote from: Z¬?I might come to one of those things some time, my room-mate used to go on a semi-regular basis, but its hard to motivate me to get out of the house being as that I either use our shitty-ass public transit, or else I walk.

I live midtown, and rarely go that far out west, unless it really suits my fancy to do so.

... and as far as local music goes, I dont blame you at all. Our local music scene is, primarily, crap. I live in a house that did shows, and I can think of maybe four local bands that I've liked over the past six years. Thats not saying that I havent been friends with people in bands over that time, I have been, and with one notable exception they were all crap.

Anyway, I'll add you to my AIM list so I can shout out some idle banter at you sometime.

*sigh* That will mean getting Trillian working again, won't it? And here I had finally driven away all my friends who don't use YIM.... although I dunno if my yahoo is listed here. I'll double check my profile later.

And, hey, I hear you. What with tuition and having to pay part of my dad's bills, I can't afford a car, so I generally don't go much of anywhere without someone driving me there.

And, yeah, the busses in Omaha suck ass. I remember having used the busses in Vegas when I was a kid (9-10 or so), and the busses there made sense. Ran straight up and down the major streets. Here the busses go from one mall to another, so if you're like me and think the malls suck you can't really go much of anywhere.

Oh, and you think 120th and Center is way far west? Nearly all my friends atm live in Millard. :) I used to walk down to about 144th & Industrial or so to meet up with them, and most of them live further west than that (156-168th or so). What you think of as "central" omaha will soon be known as "east" omaha.  :?
Pope Prickly the Pielyamorous Porcupine of the Bent Quarter Cabal and, more recently, the Sunrise If You Dare Cabal

Before the beginning, there was a 50/50 chance of either something or nothing existing. So, something and nothing decided to flip a coin to decide which of them would exist. However, in order for there to be a coin to flip, something had to have already won the toss. Therefore, you only exist because something is a cheating bastard.

DJRubberducky

It's all about Hodge and Podge to me.  Order is just as necessary as chaos, because you can't fully appreciate one without the other, and an excess of either is apt to make folks miserable.  The trouble starts when people get vehement in opposing one or the other.
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

Cain

Order has its uses, you obviously need it for some things.  Unfortunately, its an addiction for some people and they have to put it into every aspect of their life.  These people occasionally get public office too.  Then the trouble starts...

LMNO

A quick search through your PD will reveal the quadrant chart of Creative/Destructive and Order/Disorder.  One point maid of said chart is that to follow the creative, both the Hodge and Podge of order and disorder are maintained, but to follow either Order or Disorder, ther will always be destruction.

PS - To say that "things must be destroyed in order for new things to be built" is, for me, contained in creative disorder, not in destructive disorder.

agent compassion

QuotePS - To say that "things must be destroyed in order for new things to be built" is, for me, contained in creative disorder, not in destructive disorder.

Depends on what's being destroyed and how.

The demolition of a condemned building is a beautiful thing, not just because it's a nonlethal way for us to satisfy our craving to see things go BOOM, but also because the space is cleared for a new creation....but the bombing of a city "to save it" is just wanton destruction, with no consideration for the consequences....

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

LMNO

Agreed.  For me, the teaing down of a building in order to make a better one, or to buld a park is Creative Disorder.  Blowing shit up to kill people is Destructive Disorder.

Horab Fibslager

what about killing people to make way for new people?

how about blowing people up who are in teh way of an ideal like peace or freedom or prosperity?
Hell is other people.

East Coast Hustle

fuck it...how about if you're just killing people because there are too goddamned many of them?

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Horab Fibslager

why not.

also i don'
t see how you equate the destruction of a building with creativeness or disorder.

these tend to be very choreagraphed things, usually ending in the general destruction of the structure.
Hell is other people.

LMNO

Quote from: Tim LearySMIILE: Space Migration, Increase Intelligence, Life Extension.

If this doesn't make sense to you, you haven't been paying attention.

agent compassion

Quotewhat about killing people to make way for new people?

Horab honey, didn't anyone ever sit you down and tell you the "facts of life?"
We're not in the midst of a people shortage, and even if we were, killing the old ones isn't how you get new ones!

Quotehow about blowing people up who are in teh way of an ideal like peace or freedom or prosperity?

Counter-productive. Committing violence sends the message that violence is condoned, and it will only encourage them. It creates the revenge cycle....you hit me, I hit you, you hit me back, I hit you back....before you know it everyone's brawling and nobody knows who started it or why, and nobody knows what else to do so they keep hitting.

Besides, how do we know that we're on the right side and they're on the wrong? Perhaps they think WE are in the way. Perhaps they are operating under a different definition of "peace, freedom or prosperity" and see US as the problem. There are multiple viewpoints to the situation, and you need ALL of them to solve the problem, but you can't do that by killing off everyone who disagrees with you - because you'll NEVER run out of people to disagree with for starters, and also because everyone operates out of a certain degree of self-interest i.e. personal security, prosperity etc and these things are not reserved for some beings over others; they are human rights.

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

Horab Fibslager

just throwing some stuff out there...  :P
Hell is other people.

LMNO

Actually, Neither Fibslager's nor Turds suggestions were really creative, so I guess that's the short answer.