Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

Always write under the influence

Started by Bu🤠ns, June 26, 2013, 08:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

https://medium.com/writers-on-writing/1f6bcb600140

Always write under the influence
A sober writer is a pretentious writer...

For me even posting around this place I feel like I have too much restraint.  I'll type something and then delete it.  Maybe I should lubricate the judgment a bit. 

I wonder if I'm alone in feeling this way.

GrannySmith

Hahaha you got a point there! :)
I thought the restraint i feel writing here is becoming less and less as i get used to caring less about the reaction of the readers - something that in everyday life is more difficult to do. But I haven't written in public forums for quite a few years, it feels like i have to relearn this. Even though the influence might help, i often have then a hard time understanding what i wrote myself :lulz:  When i don't think clearly it seems to me (afterwards) that I skip parts of my argumets/sentences that to me at the moment appear self-evident.  :eek: I actually do that sometimes also when I speak, and that even without any influences!   :lol:
  X  

Cain

Sometimes, a bit of alcohol can help.

A bit.  And too much, of course, doesn't help at all.

However, it's a bad habit to get into because...well, Christopher Hitchens. Basically.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I often post on the board with a bit of wine.

I never write papers for school while drinking though, it just fucks me all up for academic writing.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

I've often thought I could put down some very fine words as long as I had enough booze and quiet space. I do really well when all lit up. The trouble is I am unprepared to potentially write a masterpiece (hah) if it means becoming a drunk.

Some of the best stuff I've written here was half written by a bottle.

I think it is a matter of judgement. Your judgement falters with the booze, so you actually put words down instead of THINKING about words you want to put down.

But I think if you just crank out a couple of thousand words every single day those little bumps smooth themselves over. Eventually. Maybe. If you're lucky.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Doktor Howl

My very best and very worst writing has been done with head full of whiskey.  And there's no way to tell which it will be.

I have, however, quit drinking altogether, because I can't stand the hangovers anymore, and I'd like to think that I could liberate the things in my head without chemical assistance.
Molon Lube

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 26, 2013, 06:47:34 PM
My very best and very worst writing has been done with head full of whiskey.  And there's no way to tell which it will be.

I have, however, quit drinking altogether, because I can't stand the hangovers anymore, and I'd like to think that I could liberate the things in my head without chemical assistance.

I think that's a good point.  And like Alty said about judgement...I'd like to be able to get rid of, or at least quiet that voice in the back of my head that begins it's sentences with, "Now wait a second, there..." 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't do my best writing when I'm drunk. I do my best writing when I need a drink.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

So much semicolon hate. This kind of makes me want to get drunk or eat a bag of shrooms just to see what would happen to my writing. What could go wrong?
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Salty

Hemingway was plastered, a lot, but IIRC he wrote standing in the mornings, and didn't get drunk until he was done.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Bu☆ns on June 26, 2013, 07:56:35 PM

I think that's a good point.  And like Alty said about judgement...I'd like to be able to get rid of, or at least quiet that voice in the back of my head that begins it's sentences with, "Now wait a second, there..."

I have that voice.  I laugh at it when it tells me not to hit post.

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME.

And what's the penalty if the voice is right?  Thread falls off of page, world mysteriosly doesn't end.
Molon Lube

Salty

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 26, 2013, 09:13:10 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on June 26, 2013, 07:56:35 PM

I have that voice.  I laugh at it when it tells me not to hit post.

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME.

And what's the penalty if the voice is right?  Thread falls off of page, world mysteriosly doesn't end.

Yes. That is the only way to handle that thing.

Now that I think about it, my best writing is always when I've got that feeling in my gut that, much like certain bateria in certain digstive tracts, HAS to come out.
My very best writing is much like sudden, explosive, projectile vomiting.

IN MANY WAYS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like semicolons; they are very useful. I am not such a huge fan of ellipses, however...

Cain

First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on June 26, 2013, 10:07:54 PM
First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

FUCK THAT SCHOOL LARNIN, THE REGLAR MAN DON'T NEED THAT SHIT.