News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

Twid's spiritual exploration thingie.

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, June 27, 2013, 06:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

So, are you going to learn Hebrew and go to Temple?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Facemeat on September 10, 2013, 05:30:49 PM
Quote from: Twigel on September 10, 2013, 03:18:31 AM
Roger did raise an interesting thing with the eclectic Pagan thing. Am I walking a fine line between exploration and cultural appropration? Religion is a tricky thing in that way. To be Jewish could mean several things. I could be a religious profession, or it could be an ethnicity. Gentiles can convert to it, so it's probably not cultural appropriation in this context. But what if I decided to try Native American spirituality for a while? Is that cultural appropriation and is there a line or is it this murky area where at some point it does become a little too much like appropriation?

I had an interesting reaction to your announcement that you were going to try on Judaism, a distinct negative gut reaction. I had to really feel it out and try to figure out why, and whether there was something I needed to say. It felt trivializing, because while Judaism is a religion, Jewishness is both a culture and an ethnicity, which you can't just try on for a month and then walk away from. People who are raised Jewish are permeated with the culture and the identity, it is very much a part of who they are. But, I sat with it for a while, and I concluded that it is the approach that matters, and that you are approaching it from a place of sincerity, to try to understand what it feels like to be Jewish by adopting  the Jewish worldview for a while and genuinely attempting to see the world as a Jew sees the world. I am not sure you can fully succeed in that (not only because you lack the upbringing, but because due to the seasonal/cyclical nature of the religion I think it requires at least one full year of practice, within a Jewish community, to get a Real Jewish Experience) but I think that seeking to understand and empathize with other people's viewpoints is good and worthwhile. So, I have no real objection.

I may well be Jewish for a year, as with Catholicism.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 10, 2013, 05:33:50 PM
So, are you going to learn Hebrew and go to Temple?

That will be what I have to talk to a rabbi about.

The Good Reverend Roger

Personally, I have all the spiritualism I need, locked up somewhere in the cesspool that passes for my skull.  This is, again, a personal thing, but I neither want nor need anyone telling me their take on it, which is why I hardly ever talk about it myself.

Going to a church of any kind, IMO, is like yanking that little bit out of my brain and having it try on a uniform.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 10, 2013, 05:40:02 PM
Personally, I have all the spiritualism I need, locked up somewhere in the cesspool that passes for my skull.  This is, again, a personal thing, but I neither want nor need anyone telling me their take on it, which is why I hardly ever talk about it myself.

Going to a church of any kind, IMO, is like yanking that little bit out of my brain and having it try on a uniform.

The uniform thing occurred to me, but being a part of a congregation would help me understand the worldview better.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Twigel on September 10, 2013, 05:46:21 PM
The uniform thing occurred to me, but being a part of a congregation would help me understand the worldview better.

It will help you understand the worldview of "being part of a congregation" better.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 10, 2013, 05:55:20 PM

It will help you understand the worldview of "being part of a congregation" better.

I'm already familiar with that one.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Twigel on September 10, 2013, 05:57:23 PM

So, yeah, just asking here:  What makes you think one congregation of primates will be a different experience than another congregation of primates?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 10, 2013, 06:00:21 PM

So, yeah, just asking here:  What makes you think one congregation of primates will be a different experience than another congregation of primates?

The congregation bit is part of the larger experience I'm after. It's not the goal.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Twigel on September 10, 2013, 06:04:40 PM

The congregation bit is part of the larger experience I'm after. It's not the goal.

Well, that was kind of my original point.  It will be the same thing as the Catholic congregation, only with a different dead language.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 10, 2013, 06:06:16 PM

Well, that was kind of my original point.  It will be the same thing as the Catholic congregation, only with a different dead language.

Well, I suppose I should ask myself then if I can experience Judaism without attending Temple.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Twigel on September 10, 2013, 06:12:19 PM

Well, I suppose I should ask myself then if I can experience Judaism without attending Temple.

Get yourself beaten by a pair of skinheads at random intervals. 

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 10, 2013, 06:14:18 PM
Quote from: Twigel on September 10, 2013, 06:12:19 PM

Get yourself beaten by a pair of skinheads at random intervals.

I think that experience is largely absent in Boston.

Not to say that we don't have skinheads. They just usually spray paint swastikas, it seems.

AFK

FWIW, I think this is pretty cool Twid.  I know there are bits and pieces of different religions I've been interested in, on a purely philosophical level.  When you think about it, most religions to some degree or another are about a kind of ethic or framework for how to live your mortal life.  Take out the sky-fairy part, and it stands to reason that religions will have at least some ideas that are actually useful to help guide one. 

Certainly the sort of anthropological angle in the religious exploration is also an interesting one.  Get a window into how other Earthlings are steering their mortality.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

We're a congregation of primates.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."