News:

There are no innocents, only the squeamish and the aroused.

Main Menu

Twid's spiritual exploration thingie.

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, June 27, 2013, 06:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

I am already somewhat familiar with the alphabet without modern vowel conventions though. Not well versed, but when we were at MOS waiting to get in, I was able to figure out what some of the consonants were. I was able to, for example, identify YHWH in Hebrew, and then locate the analogue in Aramaic.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Nephew Twiddleton

Now attempting to learn prayers in Hebrew.

Seems like one of the most important phrases I'll have to know is "baruch atah Adonai Eloheinu melech ha'olam" so far. Fortunately Irish also has that throat clearing noise, so that won't be too hard.

Nephew Twiddleton

While I still have a couple of weeks of overlap, I may switch my Latin prayers to their Hebrew translations to get a feel for it, and pick up a couple of words through osmosis.

Nephew Twiddleton

It's actually kind of a pity. I should have held off on Catholicism, because Pope Francis is actually impressing me quite a bit. It's an exciting time to be a Catholic. But I couldn't have foreseen it. Seems like the bastard's in the news every other day shaking shit up. I suppose it makes a certain amount of sense because he's the first Jesuit pope, and the first from the Americas. I had my doubts about him at first.

Q. G. Pennyworth

You can like Shiny New Pope as a non-Catholic, too. If he keeps going the way it looks like he is, it will be a good thing for the world in general, not just Catholics.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 05, 2013, 04:54:23 AM
You can like Shiny New Pope as a non-Catholic, too. If he keeps going the way it looks like he is, it will be a good thing for the world in general, not just Catholics.

I know. I just wish that his papacy was roughly aligned with my reconversion rather than the last third.

LMNO

Twid, I'm honestly impressed you're really committing to this. Inshallah.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 06, 2013, 05:41:44 AM
Twid, I'm honestly impressed you're really committing to this. Inshallah.

Well, Catholicism was the easy part. Ish.

I still have to talk to a rabbi. I suppose that largely depends on when I plan to leave work on Frid.... sunset. Always at sunset. :knock knock:

ETA: one in the Medical Area might be more convenient for me.

Nephew Twiddleton

Bump.

So, I'm almost to full conversion. Samhain is approaching. Halloween itself falls on a school day, which, actually, is rather convenient. I just gotta keep riding the train to the end of the line and take a specific bus to my old neighborhood to the cemetery, where my maternal grandparents and 4 out of 5 of mom's brothers are buried.

I'll be all in black, and I will have my rosaries and my "requiem aeternam" at hand.

Since Nana died earlier this year, I think it will be an appropriate ancestral send of for Catholicism. I also still gotta learn a hell of a lot of Hebrew.

Nephew Twiddleton

Also, as far as Judaism is concerned, I'm going to have to be a visitor for a while. Jewish folk apparently pay dues. Makes total sense, in order to keep the thing going, you know, if you don't have endless priceless works of renaissance art just sitting there in your headquarters. I suppose the collection plate was something I just took for granted.

The Good Reverend Roger

I still fail to see the attraction.

We have all the Holiness™ you need, right here.  We got it leaking outta every orifice.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Clarification-

You can go to Temple anytime you want to without paying dues, but in order to celebrate the High Holy Days at Temple, you must either pay dues or buy tickets. Tickets are guaranteed and cheaper if you pay dues.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 22, 2013, 04:25:40 AM
I still fail to see the attraction.

We have all the Holiness™ you need, right here.  We got it leaking outta every orifice.

It's a pull, Reverend. I can't explain it otherwise. It's something that is calling me to different places on the map.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 22, 2013, 04:26:46 AM
Clarification-

You can go to Temple anytime you want to without paying dues, but in order to celebrate the High Holy Days at Temple, you must either pay dues or buy tickets. Tickets are guaranteed and cheaper if you pay dues.

Hell of a racket.  We don't even charge for memberships, here.  Which makes me think we're sort of missing the point.

Because that arrangement sounds more like Southern Baptist-style hucksterism.  "God's here if you can afford it".
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.