News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

There's an app for that!

Started by Pæs, July 01, 2013, 12:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bu☆ns on July 03, 2013, 03:56:21 AM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on July 03, 2013, 03:47:13 AM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on July 03, 2013, 03:45:05 AM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on July 03, 2013, 03:41:44 AM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on July 03, 2013, 03:39:51 AM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on July 02, 2013, 07:14:36 PM
Oooh! An app where you put in the part you play in a band and what your band is looking for, then when you walk around it alerts you if someone nearby is looking for your part/does the thing you need!

This is brilliant.  You could even do the same thing with a live matchmaking app.  Like it alerts you when you're over say 80% compatible with someone nearby.

actually...maybe not.

OKC's working on that.

oh shit...you're NOT serious.   :eek:

The mobile stuff posts your general location if you let it and when you log it it throws people nearby at you who say they want to hangouts with people and have a reasonable match.

Craaaazy.  It's also kinda dangerous.

Yeah, they also have one that's called "Crazy Blind Date" where you can post that you want to meet up with someone and it will match you with someone and you will meet someplace WITHOUT EVER HAVING SPOKEN OR SEEING EACH OTHER'S PICS, so you can't even tell your best friend "hey, I'm going out with this guy I met on OKC, here's his profile, his name, and his phone #". 

So if you end up raped and murdered, there will be NO LEADS AT ALL.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pæs

I want to make some kind of GPS drawing tool, allowing you to send pictures you drew on top of maps by exploring the area... but combine it with dérive somehow.

Maybe flag a random location and bring up an alert: OPPORTUNITY FOR AN AUTHENTIC EXPERIENCE AT THIS LOCATION, GO GO GO.

Sometimes the authentic experience will be a meeting or being witness to a puppy or something. Other times the authentic experience will be disappointment.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Pæs on July 04, 2013, 01:14:46 AM
I want to make some kind of GPS drawing tool, allowing you to send pictures you drew on top of maps by exploring the area... but combine it with dérive somehow.

Maybe flag a random location and bring up an alert: OPPORTUNITY FOR AN AUTHENTIC EXPERIENCE AT THIS LOCATION, GO GO GO.

Sometimes the authentic experience will be a meeting or being witness to a puppy or something. Other times the authentic experience will be disappointment.

That's pretty awesome.  Although how would one implement what seems to be a spontaneous experience?

Pope Pixie Pickle

an app that will make an "emergency call from a family member or friend" during a bad date so you can extricate yourself quickly.

Pope Pixie Pickle

an app that lists shitty housemates so you can vet them when you are looking for new ones. That would be nice. headings such as violent,. lazy, bigoted (with appropriate sub categories) and the headings of the unpleasantness.

Pæs

Quote from: Bu☆ns on July 04, 2013, 05:32:30 AM

That's pretty awesome.  Although how would one implement what seems to be a spontaneous experience?

By framing the lack of experience as an experience. "Other times the authentic experience will be disappointment."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pixie on July 04, 2013, 05:43:08 AM
an app that lists shitty housemates so you can vet them when you are looking for new ones. That would be nice. headings such as violent,. lazy, bigoted (with appropriate sub categories) and the headings of the unpleasantness.

I'm stunned that doesn't exist already.

Also, you should check out this site: http://myveryworstroommate.com
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

McGrupp

Using the light sensor (I think android has those) make a my pet vampire game. Basically its just a cartoon picture of a vampire. If you bring your phone into the light the animation shows it catching on fire and it screams really loud.
Also you can never turn it off.

I was always rather inpired by Cow Clicker. It was meant to be a satirical stab at Zynga games, but then people actually started enjoying and playing it.

http://www.bogost.com/blog/cow_clicker_1.shtml

Pæs

I'm working on a GPS-based classifieds app, which lets you set the sensitivity for distance you'd like to pick up ads from, say 50km and anyone in that range who has listed something appears on an ugly list of FOR SALE/WANTED TO BUY OR TRADE.

Categories will be decided by the users by something similar to the hashtag system, so suggested tags will be provided but it will be up to users to decide on their preferred tags and which tags ("used cars", "free", "pets") they follow.

Will also look at other uses for location-based text content, such as scavenger hunts or leaving invisible notes in strange locations. Need to investigate low-maintenance moderation or disincentive to spam the service, like a karma system or similar.

EDIT: Initially, I was thinking that the app would never reveal the precise location you listed an ad from but I'm considering whether "share location with interested party" might be a request people can make of your ad. I don't want to make it possible to lure hipsters to secluded locations with the promise of a vintage typewriter only to have them Nigeled.

Cramulus

I like this a lot

what I'd want - Following the current naming convention I'd call this something like Derivestr

You can upload (or link to) a piece of media - song, image, video, or text.

Wherever you were standing when you posted it -- that asset becomes associated with those GPS coordinates.

Other people can see that asset's location on a map, but not where it is. If they want to view it, they have to walk within 10 meters of that location and hit View.

You could associate a song with a particular place.

You could take a picture of yourself and send it forward in time to somebody standing on the same spot.

You could let people know you were there, or where you'll be. Post a vine of a little moment you wanted to share.

If you wanted to make it into a game, it could be gamified by awarding points for posting or viewing assets. Or maybe each asset could be up/downvoted like reddit, so you could have people competing for the official song of the street.

kind of like a noncompetitive version of Ingress

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Telarus

Cram, my friend Nabil recommends contacting these people with your idea: https://geoloqi.com/
One of the co-founder's website (Nabil's friend): http://caseorganic.com/
Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Cramulus

Hm, I'm not familiar with this. You think I should hit the contact link on this geoloqi site, e-mail them blind, and suggest they should develop that? Or should I e-mail this amber case character directly?

Telarus

Looking over the websites, you may want to email Amber directly (the geoloqi site seems more geared towards corporate communications). This is a really good idea, and having caught up on your Ingress thread for context I think it has promise.
Telarus, KSC,

Cramulus