News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

Free Online Writing Summer Course Thingie-Do-Hickey

Started by Cardinal Pizza Deliverance., June 22, 2013, 05:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

http://www.writeaboutdragons.com/extra/2013-summer-class/

QuoteBeginning July 1 and going till September, this site will be hosting an online creative writing class featuring the recorded lectures of Brandon Sanderson. Brandon won't be participating directly (sorry folks if you were hoping to have him critique your stuff  ), but the format will be like this:

Begin outlining your story before the class begins July 1. This will help a lot. I recommend Brandon's lectures from last year on plot generation and characterization

Beginning July 1, every Monday, I'll post that week's lecture.

Optionally, throughout the week I'll post a couple "creative catalysts" you can respond to that consist of a flash fiction writing prompts focusing on a principle Brandon taught. They'll be constrained to around 250 words and are supposed to only represent 5 minutes of internal-editor-free writing to get your creative writerly muscles warmed up.

By each Thursday, you'll be expected to post a 1000 word submission to the specialized forum I have set up. I almost have it done, but suffice it to say it will look somewhat similar to Quora or Stackoverflow if you're familiar with those.

By Monday (in time for the next lecture), you should have critiqued at least 4 other students submissions.

By the end of the September (in 4 months), have have written 30,000 words, hopefully a complete novelette.

Some have asked about cost, and just like the site is now there will be no charge. I'm doing all of this for a masters degree project and the best way you can give back is by simply actively engaging in the class. And I might have one or two short surveys for you.

Does this look interesting to anyone else?
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Left

Sure.
It's not like I actually have to work at work.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: Given that I just finished an online writing class that I hated with the passion of ten thousand nuns, I will abstain. However, I look forward to seeing the products of your labors!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 22, 2013, 05:05:04 PM
:lulz: Given that I just finished an online writing class that I hated with the passion of ten thousand nuns, I will abstain. However, I look forward to seeing the products of your labors!

Well. You know. You're welcome to crit my shit if you want. :P If I do it. Camp NaNo is from July 1st to the 30th, I think. It sort of coincides. I could do both . . .

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Cain

Sad that Brandon Sanderson isn't directly doing the course - he is a really great author.

I'm interested, but I don't have a story idea to go for the 1st of July, and with my holiday, I'd be absent for at least two weeks.  So I don't know if it is feasible.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 22, 2013, 06:37:50 PM

Well. You know. You're welcome to crit my shit if you want. :P If I do it. Camp NaNo is from July 1st to the 30th, I think. It sort of coincides. I could do both . . .

I love your writing, so I'll be happy to read whatever you produce. You're far better at fiction than I am, anyway.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Quote from: Cain on June 22, 2013, 06:40:22 PM
Sad that Brandon Sanderson isn't directly doing the course - he is a really great author.

I'm interested, but I don't have a story idea to go for the 1st of July, and with my holiday, I'd be absent for at least two weeks.  So I don't know if it is feasible.

If nothing else you can watch the lectures. The guy putting this all together is doing it for free as a grad school thing so I'm more looking to see what happens when the crit-ing other peoples' work blows the fuck up in everyone's face. People think they can write but very few can critique effectively. It's all "OMG SO COOL. WRITE MORE." or "I don't get it."

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 22, 2013, 06:52:55 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 22, 2013, 06:37:50 PM

I love your writing, so I'll be happy to read whatever you produce. You're far better at fiction than I am, anyway.

Thank you very much. :) I don't think I'm better, but I appreciate you saying so. I have fewer demands on my time, so more free time to sit here and think weird shit up.

Suu

I may give this a shot. There's always room for improvement, and I have plenty of things to write about. This could be motivation I need to get my next series outlined and roughed out.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Cain

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 22, 2013, 07:26:33 PM

If nothing else you can watch the lectures. The guy putting this all together is doing it for free as a grad school thing so I'm more looking to see what happens when the crit-ing other peoples' work blows the fuck up in everyone's face. People think they can write but very few can critique effectively. It's all "OMG SO COOL. WRITE MORE." or "I don't get it."

Yeah.  Still, it's not the same.

Quote from: Cain on June 30, 2013, 05:24:37 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 22, 2013, 07:26:33 PM

Yeah.  Still, it's not the same.

True.

First snag. My attention span vs lectures has not improved. :P But otherwise so far, so good.