News:

OK fuckers, let me out of here. I farted for you, what more do you want from me? Jesus fuck.

Main Menu

EEG, BCI, and some of the horrible horrible potential uses.

Started by McGrupp, June 27, 2013, 09:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: McGrupp on July 02, 2013, 06:19:25 PM
An interesting article about the upcoming BRAIN initiative. Turns out that the pentagon and Darpa are planning on being its biggest funders.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/2013/05/22/why-you-should-care-about-pentagon-funding-of-obamas-brain-initiative/

QuoteThere's nothing new about the militarization of brain science. Ten years ago, when I was writing an article on how information is encoded in the brain, Darpa was already a major funder of research on neural coding and neural prosthetics. Darpa program manager Alan Rudolph told me back then that the agency was interested in a wide range of potential applications, including "performance enhancement" of soldiers via either implanted or external electrodes linked to electronic devices.

QuoteThe best critique I've read is by physician/blogger Peter Freed, who asserts that Pentagon funding of the BRAIN Initiative fulfills President Dwight Eisenhower's 1961 warning about the growing power of the "military-industrial complex."

QuoteBarack Obama has asked his Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues to explore the "ethical, legal, and societal implications raised by [the BRAIN] initiative and other recent advances in neuroscience." Let's not leave it up to government officials and appointees—and neuroscientists–to weigh the pros and cons of neuroweapons

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing but I plan on keeping an eye on this project. Especially with the Society for Neuroscience essentially coming out with the stance of "Shut up, you guys! They want to give us money!"
http://blogs.nature.com/news/2013/04/society-for-neuroscience-quashing-dissent-on-brain-initiative-critic-complains.html

Ordered a neurosky mindwave that came in the mail today. Going to download some software and play around with it later tonight.  Also I definitely need to read 'Mind Wars' by Jonathan D. Moreno.

Yeah, that shit worries me. Like, a lot. I'm going into neuroscience because I want to help people, not help kill people.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Well, you know, "weaponized ape".  Show us a peach tree in full bloom, and we'll cut it down to make clubs.

But what really gives me the heebie-jeebies is "brain mail".
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 04, 2013, 03:44:24 AM
Well, you know, "weaponized ape".  Show us a peach tree in full bloom, and we'll cut it down to make clubs.

Hee hee hee!

God, getting mail to your brain would fucking suck. I check my inboxes as rarely as possible.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Think about the PMs and emails Dok gets these days.

Now think about all that being dumped directly into his head.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 05, 2013, 02:09:04 PM

ALREADY HAPPENING, DON'T NEED MORE.  :tgrr:
Molon Lube

McGrupp

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 05, 2013, 02:56:07 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 05, 2013, 02:09:04 PM

ALREADY HAPPENING, DON'T NEED MORE.  :tgrr:

:lulz:

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 05, 2013, 01:31:35 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 04, 2013, 03:44:24 AM

Hee hee hee!

God, getting mail to your brain would fucking suck. I check my inboxes as rarely as possible.

The spam alone would grind productivity to a halt. I imagine working on my desk trying to focus and then all of a sudden "Why am I thinking about penis enlargements and Nigerian princes who need help banking?"