News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

WEIRDOVERSE

Started by Bobby Campbell, July 09, 2013, 03:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby Campbell

Though the VCR and accompanying VHS library were excellent tools for exploring ideaspace, live TV was my constant companion.

10 or so channels of broadcast signals, permeating the skies, dialed in through the static of a temperamental TV antennae.

It was definitely an imperfect connection to the global village, but there was a certain charm in trying to adjust the rabbit ears to catch just enough of the transmission to see the show. Unwound wire coat hangers adorned with tin foil, bent this way and that, until some random and arbitrary arrangement magically tuned in the desperately sought signal.

For bonus points this was often done on black & white TV sets, because though color TVs had been around for 2 decades already, those more expensive sets were usually reserved for adult spaces, and most other TVs I'd encounter as a kid were ancient, tiny, and lacking in color.

Then came one day the cable!

Bobby Campbell

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 30, 2019, 03:42:41 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on September 30, 2019, 11:23:49 AM
Pure nostalgia! No lower form of pigfucking degenerate than the one who returned an unwound tape to the video store.  :lulz:

Sometimes I rented movies just to do that to people.

This gives me an idea for a sitcom!  :fnord: :fnord: :fnord:

Quote from: Al Qədic on October 02, 2019, 05:23:43 AM
But then, I suppose that's why I'm so damn lucky to understand how these magic boxes, how this series of tubes filled with cat videos, actually works, and circumvent the need for recording things myself.

Lucky indeed!

It's interesting looking back at late 20th century media technology as a nascent electronic information environment stitching itself together into the world wide web, and how the internet is kind of a very specific dream come true, a youth culture dream , with all applicable pros & cons thereof.

NOW EVERYBODY DO THE GREMLIN!

Bobby Campbell

altered

The Mandrill is freaking me out.

The way you framed it (and this happens to me with a lot of your stuff) took the image from "ha ha colorful monkey wear suit" to some sort of immediate multilayered symbol in my brain.

Unlike your other works that do that sort of thing to me, The Mandrill is touching on something relevant to my own spiritual interests. I'm trying to figure out what still. But it's eating it's way into my grey matter, like an acid etching, and I thought you should know.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Bobby Campbell

I very much appreciate that reaction, nullified!  :fnord: :fnord: :fnord:

And as luck would have it this does indeed reference something with larger symbolic & spiritual meaning, The Mandrillifesto, a performance art piece by Alan Moore.

For context:
https://www.superweirdsubstance.com/alan-moore-mandrillifesto/

and then for fun:
ALAN MOORE'S MANDRILL MEETS SUPER WEIRD SUBSTANCE AT THE ARTS LAB APOCALYPSE'
A Mixtape by Greg Wilson

The yellow background is on account of how my social media feeds have been bombarded with ads & reactions to HBO's Watchmen series for the past several weeks, which I can't tell to what degree that means Alan Moore's cultural magic is working or being corrupted.

Faust

It's both, he spoke a few years back about the kick he gets from the fact that the V For Vendetta mask became associated with anon and is present in most public protests / civil disobedience.
Time Warner don't like being associated with that, but they also can't help themselves in that they like making money from those masks.

This post watchmen TV show isn't for me, as was before watchmen (despite having Amanda Conner as one of the artist), I take it that Moore like with the other derivatives has not given his blessing for it, and out of respect for the original creator (cheated out of control of his creation by legal technicality).
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Bobby Campbell

It is with a heavy heart, and no small bit of genuine shame, that I must report the Watchmen show is really good.  :| :| :|

Faust

Quote from: Bobby Campbell on November 27, 2019, 02:01:45 AM
It is with a heavy heart, and no small bit of genuine shame, that I must report the Watchmen show is really good.  :| :| :|

There's no shame in enjoying it, and if it's well made then that's going to be a burning temptation for me, just dont wander around Northampton at night in case someone wacks us over the head with a big stick.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

I must concur, the new Watchmen is REALLY good.

Bobby Campbell

Utmost Roast Beef

I really like your art style. It feels almost like stained glass with the way the linework is done, but the textural difference is really visually appealing and simplistic. You have a very pleasant body of work! (At least insofar as I've seen)

Bobby Campbell

Thanks very muchly, Utmost Roast Beef!  :fnord: :fnord: :fnord:

Bobby Campbell

Cramulus

There is one figure missing from that link, it's inviting.

That's a good one, Bobby, whew