Author Topic: WEIRDOVERSE  (Read 103556 times)

Bobby Campbell

• Bard O'Dummy
  • Outlandish
    • View Profile
    • bc
CHANNEL SURFING
« Reply #555 on: August 12, 2020, 03:41:05 am »
Try that kinda thing now, they'd tazer you for your own good.

Very probably! Though generally adults loved me because I was so low maintenance as to be basically invisible  :fnord:

I was born in a house with the television always on
Guess I grew up too fast
And I forgot my name

!!!

TV party tonight
TV party tonight
TV party tonight
TV party tonight!

Black Flag, TV Party

Rushkoff makes, or at least made, much of the remote control as a paradigm shifting media deconstruction tool. No longer was the viewer a captive audience, caught in the trap of television programming's de facto tension, they could now actively and instantly escape the grip of any narrative with the press of a button. A genie, I'd imagine, the persuasion industry has been trying to stuff back into its bottle ever since.

This innovation wouldn't have changed my life very much if it hadn't come bundled along with the tremendous multiplication of channels brought along with our cable subscription. Flipping between the half dozen or so terrestrial channels we could tune in wouldn't have been very much fun, but 60 channels? A veritable ocean of content? The surf was indeed very much up!

Channel surfing, it seems to me, is something of a lost art. Most of the 21st century digital cable boxes I've encountered come with a slight lag time between changing channels, a buffering void that disrupts the flow of information just enough to prevent joy riding through the mediasphere.

BACK IN MY DAY the channels changed instantly. In a matter of minutes you could taste test everything that was on TV at any given moment. It got to the point that I'd almost never watch one thing at a time, but would rather spread my attention across 3 or 4 different channels, a glistening array of fragments, all the while deftly dodging any and all commercials. Hence, probably, the current configuration of the interface.

Watching cable TV now appears to me as a joyless slog through a labyrinth of resource extracting stratagems, and I've barely dipped a toe in those waters for the past 20 years, but heck, we'll always be family  :fnord: :fnord: :fnord:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 03:50:09 am by Bobby Campbell »

Bobby Campbell

• Bard O'Dummy
  • Outlandish
    • View Profile
    • bc
BLACK BOXES
« Reply #556 on: August 13, 2020, 03:47:00 am »

One of the first and best hints of things to come came by way of a secret contraption colloquially known as a "black box."

A black box was a cable convertor that had been illegally modified so as to unlock all of the premium and pay per view channels. To have all of those once insurmountable paywalls come tumbling down was a glory to behold! Such unbridled access to content was unthinkably awesome at the time, in fact, it was literally criminal.

Access to this variety of forbidden knowledge forever changed how I saw the distribution of information. How do you buy into the illusion of false scarcity once you've seen information be free? Though do please extend to me the benefit of the doubt that there is more nuance and nested complexity in that statement than you can see on the surface. Info wants to be free, sure, but also needs to be funded. These are not necessarily mutually exclusive realities.

Bobby Campbell

• Bard O'Dummy
  • Outlandish
    • View Profile
    • bc
CAGLIOSTRO THE GREAT
« Reply #557 on: September 13, 2020, 09:32:04 pm »
New commission piece  :fnord: :fnord: :fnord: