News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

"Hunting Season" Officially Kicks Off In Florida

Started by Anna Mae Bollocks, July 14, 2013, 03:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hirley0

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Balls Wellington on July 14, 2013, 08:23:32 PM
Well, there's the whole part where the kid threw punches. That certainly muddies the water in terms of making a homicide case. And Florida's "legal" system and racial hijinks don't change the fact that if it weren't for all the media sensationalism surrounding the case it would have been a manslaughter case and a fairly easy one to make.

Manslaughter was one of the jury's options.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/13/justice/zimmerman-trial/

QuoteFor second-degree murder, the jurors would have had to believe that Martin's unlawful killing was "done from ill will, hatred, spite or an evil intent" and would be "of such a nature that the act itself indicates an indifference to human life."

What led jurors to this verdict?

To convict Zimmerman of manslaughter, the jurors would have had to believe he "intentionally committed an act or acts that caused the death of Trayvon Martin." That charge could have carried a sentence of up to 30 years in prison, though the jury was not told of that possible sentence.

Ultimately, they believed Zimmerman wasn't guilty of either charge. None of the jurors wanted to speak to the media after the verdict.
Molon Lube

East Coast Hustle

Oh. I didn't realize they also had the option of convicting him of manslaughter.

That's alot more depressing.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

McGrupp

Quote from: stelz on July 14, 2013, 10:10:40 AM
Chasing somebody who didn't do anything to you down the street and killing them would be enough for a conviction, I would think.
SYG makes it confusing institutionalized racism though.

Well, that and the lady who's doing 20 years for firing warning shots.

Hello, 1955.

Shooting a wall = 20 years   shooting a person = acquittal   That is messed up.

At first I thought there was more to the story. But no. She had no criminal record. She had already filed a restraining order. And to blame her for going back into HER OWN DAMN HOUSE, to get her keys so that she could flee is ridiculous. Though not quite as ridiculous as the state prosecuting attorney's quote:

Quote"You can't shoot a gun at people," Corey said at the time. "...What if it had hit someone?"
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/15/is-it-fair-that-a-florida-mom-received-a-20-year-sentence-for-firing-warning-shot/

Also the state's 10-20-life law is certainly not being implemented the way it was intended.

QuoteThe state's "10-20-life" law was implemented in 1999, saying anyone who shows a gun in the commission of certain felonies gets an automatic 10 years in prison. Fire the gun, and it's an automatic 20 years. Shoot and wound someone, and it's 25 years to life.

Quote"The irony of the 10-20-life law is the people who actually think they're innocent of the crime, they roll the dice and take their chances, and they get the really harsh prison sentences," Newburn said. "Whereas the people who think they are actually guilty of the crime take the plea deal and get out (of prison) well before. So it certainly isn't working the way it is intended."

Also she had a master's degree. Thank goodness we got her off the streets.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 15, 2013, 10:55:31 PM
Well, there's the whole part where the kid threw punches. That certainly muddies the water in terms of making a homicide case. And Florida's "legal" system and racial hijinks don't change the fact that if it weren't for all the media sensationalism surrounding the case it would have been a manslaughter case and a fairly easy one to make.

QuoteFor second-degree murder, the jurors would have had to believe that Martin's unlawful killing was "done from ill will, hatred, spite or an evil intent" and would be "of such a nature that the act itself indicates an indifference to human life."

To convict Zimmerman of manslaughter, the jurors would have had to believe he "intentionally committed an act or acts that caused the death of Trayvon Martin." That charge could have carried a sentence of up to 30 years in prison, though the jury was not told of that possible sentence.

Ultimately, they believed Zimmerman wasn't guilty of either charge. None of the jurors wanted to speak to the media after the verdict.

FUCK that jury, then.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Even though that's CNN, I still kinda want a second source, because, welll, fuck.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 16, 2013, 01:44:59 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 15, 2013, 10:55:31 PM

FUCK that jury, then.

Imagine the selection process.  :x :x :x
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 16, 2013, 03:37:41 AM
Even though that's CNN, I still kinda want a second source, because, welll, fuck.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/13/george-zimmerman-found-not-guilty/2514163/

QuoteSANFORD, Fla. -- George Zimmerman, the man accused of murdering Trayvon Martin, was found not guilty of second-degree murder and manslaughter Saturday night.
Molon Lube

Cain

Yeah, I was in the same boat as ECH - the only reason I can give for the jury not going for manslaughter is, well, Florida.