News:

Attempting to do something

Main Menu

Another Ayn Rand disaster

Started by LMNO, July 17, 2013, 03:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Cramulus on July 17, 2013, 08:02:42 PM
I'm reading through some of these S.H.A.M.E. profiles and they seem very nitpicky.

stuff like -- In the 1970s, Arianna Huffington was "involved" with somebody who idolized hitler and owned many rolls royces. He was arrested!

That's a bit disingenous, Cram.  She was a member of the cult at the time Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh was arrested on bioterrorism charges. 

His teachings were that "Jews "are guilty people, and their guilt is very great" because they crucified Jesus, and out of their guilt, are "always in search of their Adolf Hitlers, someone who can kill them." He further claimed that only when Jews "reclaim Jesus," "they will be healthy and whole, and then there will be no need for Adolf Hitlers."

I mean, being part of a cult with teachings like that speaks to, at the very least, some seriously bad judgement.

Cramulus

fair enough! I admit to only skimming though a bunch of these pages. Still -- that was almost 40 years ago, no? I don't think that's terribly incriminating unless she actively believes that kind of stuff. It's kind of like branding Obama as "palling around with terrorists" due to his link to Bill Ayers.

I get the impression that if there were to be a S.H.A.M.E. article about shaming the S.H.A.M.E. project, it would gloss over the actual content and focus on how hysterical conservative nutjobs love article bashing liberals like Levitt and Huffington. So -- SHAME is associated with conservatives and nutjobs :p

Cain

Yes, it was 40 years ago.  However, Huffington has kept up associations with various dangerous cults and New Age Movements right up until the present - for example, in the case of James Arthur Ray, and her ongoing associations with the John Roger "Insight" cult.  In other words, it's a pattern of behaviour with her, that she associates with people who are dangerous cranks and charlatans.

I also don't recall her ever, you know, saying something to the effect of "I was wrong to follow a man who blames the Jews for the Holocaust".  Do you know for sure she doesn't think badly of Jews even now? 

"Liberals like Levitt and Huffington"?  Have you been smoking crack?  Serious question here.  And if you think detailing her many business and personal associations with right-wing outfits and cults and her manipulation of the HuffPo as a PR outlet masquerading as a progressive news site is not "actual content"...then to be honest, I don't know where to start.

Cramulus

I'm not trying to defend Huffington or Levitt, I don't know anything about them personally (before today). Levitt is described as a neoliberal *by shame*, which I misread as liberal.

I just find Yasha Levine's reporting style odd and in places unconvincing.