News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Silly poor people. You don't need food!

Started by East Coast Hustle, July 17, 2013, 07:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Well, that's gonna suck for me, and everyone else trying to raise kids while in college.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

Let them eat proverbs about bootstraps.

Doktor Howl

Most interesting part is, the people that support this shit ("taxed enough already") are also on food stamps.  Something to the order of 1/3rd of Americans are on some form of nutritional supplement assistance.  100 million, more or less.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

QuoteThe White House has threatened a veto of the House bill. It will now proceed to conference committee, where it will be merged with a Senate farm bill that includes some $4 billion in food stamp cuts.

$4 Billion is a lot of food.

What the quote about civilisations and meals away from starvation? Anyone? Food riots? Rome? Anyone?

I'm sure anything like that would totally not lead to increased funding for a militarised police force. No way.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Left

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 17, 2013, 07:57:26 PM
Most interesting part is, the people that support this shit ("taxed enough already") are also on food stamps.  Something to the order of 1/3rd of Americans are on some form of nutritional supplement assistance.  100 million, more or less.

Wow, didn't realize it was that many.
But I foresee now buying my neighbors food more often.

As far as the whole agricultural bill issue:
http://grist.org/article/food-2010-09-21-op-ed-corn-subsidies-make-unhealthy-food-choices/

QuoteOne important thing for consumers to note is that in 2009, $15.4 billion in subsidies were lavished on the growers of corn, cotton, rice, wheat, and soybeans. In that same year, fruits, vegetables, and organics received only $825 million in support from the federal government. And that money doesn't go directly into fruit and vegetable growers' pockets, but mostly goes toward procurement for schools, research and market promotion programs.
Junk food is made cheaper, and it ought to be the other way around, we should make it cheaper to eat well as a government policy.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Pergamos

This is also going to suck for grocery stores.  food stamps don't just help hungry poor people, they also help the people hungry poor people buy food from.

Doktor Howl

Yeah, well, Kroger can wait until I'm done feeling bad for hungry people.
Molon Lube

Salty

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 17, 2013, 08:17:43 PM
QuoteThe White House has threatened a veto of the House bill. It will now proceed to conference committee, where it will be merged with a Senate farm bill that includes some $4 billion in food stamp cuts.

$4 Billion is a lot of food.

What the quote about civilisations and meals away from starvation? Anyone? Food riots? Rome? Anyone?

I'm sure anything like that would totally not lead to increased funding for a militarised police force. No way.

Or prison quotas!  Poppycock.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Salty

I mean, I'm sure these hungry broken people with no assistence from the society that feeds on them won't just go STEALING and committing other crimes to feed themselves. This will compel then to bootstrap their way to a sandwich.

I am really starting to hate America. I hate that we are right.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Alty on July 17, 2013, 11:25:56 PM
I mean, I'm sure these hungry broken people with no assistence from the society that feeds on them won't just go STEALING and committing other crimes to feed themselves. This will compel then to bootstrap their way to a sandwich.

What's funny is, these assholes only have about 9% support.  It's like watching King Stephen and Empress Maud strip England bare in a family fight, to no fucking purpose other than to strip it bare.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Alty on July 17, 2013, 11:25:56 PM

This would never, ever occur to anyone, ever!