News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

What did you do with my RWHN?

Started by AFK, July 18, 2013, 12:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pixie on July 18, 2013, 01:04:11 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 18, 2013, 01:01:13 AM
Quote from: Pixie on July 18, 2013, 01:00:09 AM
I think they chose the fuzzy almost cute pic deliberately.

it's all too easy to think of the action that got them infamy than the path that led them there. It's too easy to de-humanise than take a look at the fucked up shit we do. you other someone of that criminal status/ chaos caused and you stop thinking.

Irony of fucking Ironies, the Dropkick Murphys pitched a hissy fit about this...

Yep.  The bad guy isn't always the Nazi skinhead or the turbaned fanatic.  Sometimes it's the kid next door.

Pleasant?  No.  The truth sometimes isn't.

Indeed.

the othering process also removes any social analyses of the world around that kid. the world that includes us.

Yep.  But why examine that, when you can be all outraged and self-righteous.  For the children.

Thing is, an intelligent people would be saying "how did this kid go from THAT PIC to BLOWING UP THE MARATHON?"

But this is America, and as my fine fellow American RWHN has demonstrated, that's a little beyond us.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pixie on July 18, 2013, 01:05:34 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 18, 2013, 01:04:32 AM
Because, as we all know, Rolling Stone has never covered anything other than rock stars.  Ever.

:lulz:

:coughs: Hunter S Thompson

Yep.  Inside Rolling Stone, Thompson wrote the definitive manual on primary elections, covered the Foreman/Ali fight in Zaire when nobody else would (because Ali had refused the draft), and went to Vietnam to interview the losers in 75 AND the winners.

But ROCK STAR!
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on July 18, 2013, 01:07:10 AM
found this in a google image search

Want to be a rock star, kids?  STAB SHARON TATE!
Molon Lube

Pope Pixie Pickle

If a kid wants to emulate Charlie frikkin Manson, their wiring is fucked already.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I'm going to borrow one of Nigel's lines.

Did you even read the article?

QuoteOur hearts go out to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing, and our thoughts are always with them and their families. The cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism and Rolling Stone's long-standing commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage of the most important political and cultural issues of our day. The fact that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is young, and in the same age group as many of our readers, makes it all the more important for us to examine the complexities of this issue and gain a more complete understanding of how a tragedy like this happens. –THE EDITORS

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/jahars-world-20130717#ixzz2ZLpaEhal

They're really deifying that bastard, aren't they? The callous shit-mongers.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Maybe it's just to move units, RWHN.

Maybe it's also a chance to stop and think about this shit and why it happens.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on July 18, 2013, 01:09:59 AM
I'm going to borrow one of Nigel's lines.

Did you even read the article?

QuoteOur hearts go out to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing, and our thoughts are always with them and their families. The cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism and Rolling Stone's long-standing commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage of the most important political and cultural issues of our day. The fact that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is young, and in the same age group as many of our readers, makes it all the more important for us to examine the complexities of this issue and gain a more complete understanding of how a tragedy like this happens. –THE EDITORS

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/jahars-world-20130717#ixzz2ZLpaEhal

They're really deifying that bastard, aren't they? The callous shit-mongers.

Ah, but that's not the POINT, my friend!  It's all about OUTRAGE for the CHILDREN, who obviously will run right out and BLOW SHIT UP upon seeing this cover.
Molon Lube

AFK

it's all too easy to think of the action that got them infamy than the path that led them there. It's too easy to de-humanise than take a look at the fucked up shit we do. you other someone of that criminal status/ chaos caused and you stop thinking.

Irony of fucking Ironies, the Dropkick Murphys pitched a hissy fit about this...

Another reason to love the Murphys
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on July 18, 2013, 01:11:44 AM
Maybe it's just to move units, RWHN.

Maybe it's also a chance to stop and think about this shit and why it happens.

In RWHN's world, kids can't think for themselves.

So journalism must be outlawed, to protect them.
Molon Lube

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on July 18, 2013, 01:12:34 AM

Another reason to love the Murphys

the hypocricy of the Dropkicks and their vaguely pro-IRA sentiments actually makes me sick.

Doktor Howl

Aw shit.  My daughter just saw that cover, and now she's rooting around the kitchen looking for a pressure cooker!   :cry:
Molon Lube

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 18, 2013, 01:03:11 AM
Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on July 18, 2013, 01:02:11 AM
You can do a story on the asshat sack of shit, but putting that kind of picture on the cover is just unneccesary.  The clear message, wanna be a rock star and get on a magazine but you're a pathetic, cowardly piece of shit?

Blow up kids.

Oh, and we're back to doin' it for the children.  I had hoped for something different.  I'm dumb that way, sometimes.

The whole POINT was to show him as the kid next door.

Bullshit.  The whole point was to use controversy to move units.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

Does the article glamorize him? or is it the image itself which is dangerous?

there are only like 3-million people in the 18-24 range that will even see the magazine, except this will probably get a lot more attention because we're making it taboo

I think it's good to get these things to the foreground. Magazine covers never killed anybody.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on July 18, 2013, 01:14:46 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 18, 2013, 01:03:11 AM
Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on July 18, 2013, 01:02:11 AM
You can do a story on the asshat sack of shit, but putting that kind of picture on the cover is just unneccesary.  The clear message, wanna be a rock star and get on a magazine but you're a pathetic, cowardly piece of shit?

Blow up kids.

Oh, and we're back to doin' it for the children.  I had hoped for something different.  I'm dumb that way, sometimes.

The whole POINT was to show him as the kid next door.

Bullshit.  The whole point was to use controversy to move units.

And this is different from THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF JOURNALISM SINCE FOREVER...How, exactly?  The two are by no means mutually exclusive.
Molon Lube