Main Menu

What did you do with my RWHN?

Started by AFK, July 18, 2013, 12:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 18, 2013, 01:43:22 AM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on July 18, 2013, 01:41:49 AM
Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on July 18, 2013, 01:39:18 AM
Nah, this is about Rolling Stone desperately trying to remain relevant. 

So what you're really saying is that you've made up your mind and nothing is going to change it and anything that doesn't agree with what you've already decided is bad and you're going to condemn it.

Gotcha.

Hello.  To whom are you speaking, again?

I shouldn't be disappointed, I know.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on July 18, 2013, 01:49:29 AM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on July 18, 2013, 01:41:49 AM

So what you're really saying is that you've made up your mind and nothing is going to change it and anything that doesn't agree with what you've already decided is bad and you're going to condemn it.

Gotcha.

Uhh, yeah sure.

Yeah, we can't base this sort of thing on 4 years of established behavior or anything.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

"I'm just giving PD what it wants" in 3...2...1...
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 18, 2013, 01:47:15 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 18, 2013, 01:44:45 AM
What's next, demanding the the Sex Offenders Registry be taken offline because it rewards those sick fucks by making their names public? It's a type of FAME, after all, and everybody wants FAME. At any price. It is the principal motivator.

I for one am outraged that an original piece of reporting, including multiple interviews with people who knew the Boston Bomber and have not been interviewed before, have a picture of said bomber.  An entirely unaltered picture, previously published by other media.  And I am very outraged that they had the audacity to put it on the front page, and only call him a "monster".

He's an existential risk.  C'mon people.

Yes, they should have shoveled it under the carpet, like decent folks.
Molon Lube

AFK

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 18, 2013, 01:44:45 AM
What's next, demanding the the Sex Offenders Registry be taken offline because it rewards those sick fucks by making their names public? It's a type of FAME, after all, and everybody wants FAME. At any price. It is the principal motivator.

These two things aren't even in the same zipcode fer crissakes.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Pope Pixie Pickle

RWHN- like a horticulturist that cuts off diseased branches but never thinks to take a look at the roots.

Cain

Y'know the absolute best part about the image?

This is the one favoured by the "Dzhokhar is Innocent" groupies and conspiracy theorists, for obvious reasons.  Yet, in using it, while calling him a "monster" and detailing how he ended up turning to terrorism and murder, they're entirely negating the positive associations that said groups are going for.

I realise this may be far too subtle for the MY OUTRAGE MEANS THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS brigade, but so is practically everything.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 18, 2013, 01:54:17 AM

This is the one favoured by the "Dzhokhar is Innocent" groupies and conspiracy theorists, for obvious reasons.  Yet, in using it, while calling him a "monster" and detailing how he ended up turning to terrorism and murder, they're entirely negating the positive associations that said groups are going for.

I realise this may be far too subtle for the MY OUTRAGE MEANS THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS brigade, but so is practically everything.

You just don't understand America, Cain.  You're using the front part of your brain too much.
Molon Lube

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 18, 2013, 01:49:35 AM
Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on July 18, 2013, 01:47:04 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 18, 2013, 01:40:21 AM

No, this is about your control issues.  Just like always.

Why should a store sell something it doesn't want to sell?

I don't think they should have to.  I simply won't spend money at places where they feel that either A)  I can't be trusted to think for myself, or B) lack the fucking moral courage to deal with an issue.

And the problem with this is?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on July 18, 2013, 01:55:43 AM

I don't think they should have to.  I simply won't spend money at places where they feel that either A)  I can't be trusted to think for myself, or B) lack the fucking moral courage to deal with an issue.

Gutlessness pisses me off. 

It's revolting.  Stomach-turning.

And it's what you're selling.  Can someone take this off the shelves, please?  It offends me.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on July 18, 2013, 01:54:17 AM

Pretty well-played, all things considered.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

How dare Rolling Stone exploit this story for commercial gain.  Exploiting all events for commercial gain is not the job of magazine!

Cain

QuoteNortheastern University criminologist Jack Levin told MyFoxBoston.com that the cover could send a dangerous message to others who might be minded to carry out violence: "If they want to become famous, kill somebody."

Whereas, 24 hour rolling coverage of the bombings, followed by a city-wide lockdown, presumably does not send the message that fame comes from violence. 

It's different when respectable media does it.   :lulz:

AFK

Quote from: Cain on July 18, 2013, 02:02:56 AM
QuoteNortheastern University criminologist Jack Levin told MyFoxBoston.com that the cover could send a dangerous message to others who might be minded to carry out violence: "If they want to become famous, kill somebody."

Whereas, 24 hour rolling coverage of the bombings, followed by a city-wide lockdown, presumably does not send the message that fame comes from violence. 

It's different when respectable media does it.   :lulz:

No, it's shitty when they do it too.

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 18, 2013, 01:56:59 AM
Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on July 18, 2013, 01:55:43 AM

Gutlessness pisses me off. 

It's revolting.  Stomach-turning.

And it's what you're selling.  Can someone take this off the shelves, please?  It offends me.

I'm not selling anything.  My opinion is it is a classless move on the part of Rolling Stone.  I support people boycotting them because of it.  Are you against boycotts?