News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

What did you do with my RWHN?

Started by AFK, July 18, 2013, 12:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/17/19523421-rolling-stone-boston-bomber-suspect-photo-stirs-online-controversy-cvs-walgreens-drop-the-issue?lite

Magazine sales must have been slumping badly.  I suppose the nut-wits at Rolling Stone think this is "edgy journalism".

Sure, let's make the human sack of shit a rock star.  Fuck dead and maimed and delimbed people.  There are units to move!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

This is hardly new.

This guy killed way more people, and he was on the cover, way back in the day:

But, shit, let's make journalism all about puppies and flowers and unicorn poop. 
Molon Lube

AFK

False equivalency.

It isn't journalism.  It's fucking sensationalism to move units.  It's jabbing a knife into open wounds.  It's pretty sick.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on July 18, 2013, 12:56:59 AM
False equivalency.

It isn't journalism.  It's fucking sensationalism to move units.  It's jabbing a knife into open wounds.  It's pretty sick.

You don't like it, so it isn't journalism.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Pope Pixie Pickle

I think they chose the fuzzy almost cute pic deliberately.

it's all too easy to think of the action that got them infamy than the path that led them there. It's too easy to de-humanise than take a look at the fucked up shit we do. you other someone of that criminal status/ chaos caused and you stop thinking.

Irony of fucking Ironies, the Dropkick Murphys pitched a hissy fit about this...

Cramulus

Ah enjoy it while it lasts. Savor that feeling of being annoyed by the cover of something. People are only going to be talking about print magazines for another few years.

You'll be nostalgic about this one day! "Hey remember when blogs were on paper? and people would get tweaked out if they printed something controversial on the cover?"

for scale - rolling stone has 1.4 million copies in circulation and assumes 8 different people read every issue.

buzzfeed has 60 million unique viewers per month.

people are talking about rolling stone for some reason

mission accomplished

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pixie on July 18, 2013, 01:00:09 AM

it's all too easy to think of the action that got them infamy than the path that led them there. It's too easy to de-humanise than take a look at the fucked up shit we do. you other someone of that criminal status/ chaos caused and you stop thinking.

Irony of fucking Ironies, the Dropkick Murphys pitched a hissy fit about this...

Yep.  The bad guy isn't always the Nazi skinhead or the turbaned fanatic.  Sometimes it's the kid next door.

Pleasant?  No.  The truth sometimes isn't.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on July 18, 2013, 01:00:26 AM
for scale - rolling stone has 1.4 million copies in circulation and assumes 8 different people read every issue.

buzzfeed has 60 million unique viewers per month.

This makes me sad.  I prefer to read in dead tree format.
Molon Lube

AFK

You can do a story on the asshat sack of shit, but putting that kind of picture on the cover is just unneccesary.  The clear message, wanna be a rock star and get on a magazine but you're a pathetic, cowardly piece of shit?

Blow up kids.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on July 18, 2013, 01:02:11 AM
You can do a story on the asshat sack of shit, but putting that kind of picture on the cover is just unneccesary.  The clear message, wanna be a rock star and get on a magazine but you're a pathetic, cowardly piece of shit?

Blow up kids.

Oh, and we're back to doin' it for the children.  I had hoped for something different.  I'm dumb that way, sometimes.

The whole POINT was to show him as the kid next door.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Wannabe a rock star?  Get elected president and blow up Cambodia!
Molon Lube

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 18, 2013, 01:01:13 AM
Quote from: Pixie on July 18, 2013, 01:00:09 AM

Yep.  The bad guy isn't always the Nazi skinhead or the turbaned fanatic.  Sometimes it's the kid next door.

Pleasant?  No.  The truth sometimes isn't.

Indeed.

the othering process also removes any social analyses of the world around that kid. the world that includes us.

Doktor Howl

Because, as we all know, Rolling Stone has never covered anything other than rock stars.  Ever.

:lulz:
Molon Lube

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on July 18, 2013, 01:02:11 AM

Blow up kids.

you really think kids are fucking empathy devoid idiots?

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 18, 2013, 01:04:32 AM
Because, as we all know, Rolling Stone has never covered anything other than rock stars.  Ever.

:lulz:

:coughs: Hunter S Thompson