News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

We don't think about *these* children

Started by Left, July 20, 2013, 07:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/06/10/doj-study-juvenile-justice-sexual-assault

QuoteAccording to a new U.S. Department of Justice report, 9.5 percent of youths incarcerated in juvenile facilities in America report being sexually abused in the past year of their detention.

That's down from 12.1 percent in 2010. Still, the rate of sexual victimization in youth facilities is at least 35 percent higher than the average rate of correctional facilities across America...

...More disturbing than the continued high rate of victimization, is the fact that the vast majority of these sexual assaults are committed by staff. "Only" 2.5 percent of youth incarcerated in the juvenile justice system reported being attacked by a fellow inmate, compared to 7.7 percent who said they'd been assaulted by a staff member. And while a full 4.7 percent of locked-up youth reported consensual sexual contact with staff—an additional 3.5 percent said they were physically attacked or coerced into sexual conduct by staff members.Black youth seem to be targeted by staff more than other races: 9.6 percent of black juvenile justice system inmates reported sexual misconduct by staff, compared with 6.4 percent for combined white and Hispanic youth.

In some youth detention facilities, up to one in three inmates say they have been sexually assaulted.

from http://www.salon.com/2013/07/04/sexual_abuse_on_the_rise_at_us_juvenile_detention_facilities_partner/
...And I note here the title is flat-out incorrect-the numbers have fallen a little

QuoteDrawing on their sample, Justice Department researchers estimate that 1,390 juveniles in the facilities they examined have experienced sex abuse at the hands of the staff supervising them, a rate of nearly 8 percent. Twenty percent who said they were victimized by staff said it happened on more than 10 occasions. Nine out of 10 victims were males abused by female staff...

Nearly two-thirds of the abused youngsters said that the officials lured them into sexual relationships by giving them special treatment, treating them like a favorite, giving gifts and pictures.

Twenty-one percent said staff gave them drugs or alcohol in exchange for sex.

Stannow said that the rate of abuse perpetrated by female guards on male victims is the result of a "dangerous combination" of cultural and institutional problems, not the least of which is the fact that women forcing males into sex does not comport with society's conventional definition of rape.

"When you have an extreme power differential and absolute unchecked power, bad things start happening," Stannow said. "When you combine this with a culture where sex abuse by females on males isn't taken seriously, then you have the perfect set-up for women with all this power to get away with it."

Admittedly, this is less than the recent 9.6% sexual assault rate for adults in state prisons.  However, in state prisons, assaults were only a little over 75% likely to be from staff.
...Not that allowing people to be sexually abused in confinement ought to be ok for either children or adults...but I find it really disgusting that it's not fellow inmates, but the staff doing the assaulting in both cases.
In both juvenile and adult detention...I think it makes us all less safe when they come out more damaged than when they went in.
This means we have a social imperative to do something about this.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

But Hylie, don't you know that once you commit a crime you're not people anymore? And everyone knows that if you didn't commit a crime, you wouldn't be arrested or even questioned about it, so anyone who's in custody is clearly not people. Juvenile not people are actually even more dangerous than their adult counterparts! You should be clamoring for more abuses piled on these not people, how else are they going to learn to SHUT UP and STOP BOTHERING US DECENT FOLK? They need to go back to the holes they crawled out of and remember that if they so much as think about doing anything wrong the government will literally rape them for having the audacity to pretend that they have the right to things like jobs and food and shelter! They need to suffer so hard that suicide sounds better than prison, or you might end up with a whole generation of uppity kids thinking they have a right to think and protest and share what they know outside of regulations! They might start thinking they're PEOPLE,  ferchrissake!

:vom:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Those aren't kids, they're drug dealers. They need to be locked up and raped, for the children.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Clearly, Satan has entered their hearts, and so that vile demon must be beaten out of their mortal flesh.

Or raped repeatedly. Scripture is a bit unclear on this point.

AFK

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 20, 2013, 06:20:13 PM
Those aren't kids, they're drug dealers. They need to be locked up and raped, for the children.

Where did it say that in the article? I seem to have missed it.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Left

Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on July 20, 2013, 10:42:40 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 20, 2013, 06:20:13 PM

Where did it say that in the article? I seem to have missed it.

Did you feel that thing whooshing over your head?  That was sarcasm.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy