News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

Hey Alty!

Started by Left, July 21, 2013, 10:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left

I wanna ask you weird questions about your work!

:eek:

I should explain:  I was trained to be a massage therapist, except I had a major derail of both brain and left arm that prevented me from actually becoming a massage therapist.

So: what do you do? Swedish?  Sports?  Deep tissue? pressure points? hydrotherapy?
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Salty

About 95% of my work is myofascial massage, usually on the neck and shoulders, but also on the hips and low back type problems. Once the horrible trapped feeling has been undone, after a couple of weeks/months, I mix in deep tissue as Art What his face defines it. No trigger point because trigger point massage is usually incredibly stupid.

I'd like to add lymphatic massage to my skillset. Mostly because it's super easy.

I do sports massage insofar as I strive to understand movement and injury and often work with active people.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Left

Quote from: Alty on July 21, 2013, 10:46:22 PM
About 95% of my work is myofascial massage, usually on the neck and shoulders, but also on the hips and low back type problems. Once the horrible trapped feeling has been undone, after a couple of weeks/months, I mix in deep tissue as Art What his face defines it. No trigger point because trigger point massage is usually incredibly stupid.

I'd like to add lymphatic massage to my skillset. Mostly because it's super easy.

I do sports massage insofar as I strive to understand movement and injury and often work with active people.

So work injuries and sports injuries...Yeah, what I remember of lymphatic massage is really quite easy.

What all do you do to keep from injuring yourself?

Salty

I eat more food than my body desires, stretch/yoga, and cardio.

Plus I find ways to use my body smarter: no thumbs, ever. Well,.maybe 5% of the time or less. The trick is to build up strength in the fingers to use the flat of them together where you'd use your thumbs.

Flooring is very important. I buy EVA foam.mats at home depot and put them understand and around the table, no shoes. But that's me, and I do up to six, sometimes seven a day.

Also, it is very important to never force anyone's body to do anything, ever. Massage is all about communication, hey brain, chill the fuck out. There's a reason wrestling has one of the highest injury rates of all sports. Humans are really tough. Yout don't undo their tension, you ask them to do so, you convince them it's in their best interest, or there'll be trouble, see? Real trouble.

Left

How long have you been doing this?

Salty

Off and on for 7 years now.

I want a vacation.

Also  sweet potatoes  super anti inflammatory, which is good.

Left

Quote from: Alty on July 21, 2013, 11:52:18 PM
Off and on for 7 years now.

I want a vacation.

Also  sweet potatoes  super anti inflammatory, which is good.

Not yams.  Ipomoea batatas, right?

Salty

I do not know how to answer that.

Whatever isn't a yellow yam, cuz those are gross.

Salty

I just get whatever they got when I get em, organic. I'd actually like to start growing my own.

Left

http://www.fullcircle.com/goodfoodlife/2012/11/09/whats-the-difference-between-yams-and-sweet-potatoes/

Ah, so orange "yams" actually ARE ipomoea batatas?  :| Learn something new every day.

At least according to the above article...and I have seen actual African yams for sale at the giant Fiesta supermarket up the street-they are called mame

AHA!  Confirmed!
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2009/01/a_sweeter_sweet_potato.php

QuoteThe African yam is a different species from the sweet potato. There are no true yams grown commercially in the U.S. But back in the 1950s, in an effort to distinguish their creamy sweet potatoes from the drier Eastern product, Louisiana growers started calling their sweet potatoes "yams." It was a marketing gimmick, but the name stuck. Today, the names yam and sweet potato are more or less interchangeable in the U.S.

Anyway, a sweet potato is a tuberous, edible variety of morning glory.

As far as growing them where you are, Alty?
You would have to build frames or greenhouses or something.  They do not tolerate frost at all, and even the fast-growing ones take 3 frost-free months to produce.
...You could grow them in pots, too, the leaves / vines are edible; however, you may have to cook the leafy parts in order to render them edible...Not sure.