News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

Oh those wacky DEA Agents

Started by Telarus, August 05, 2013, 08:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 08, 2013, 03:56:42 PM
So, what we have is a situation in which the enforcement agency can do whatever the hell it likes with respect to this issue...And all we need to do is make sure that people act in a pure fashion.

Smells like Captain Utopia.

No.  Try reading my posts again. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The End on August 08, 2013, 04:00:40 PM
So, what we have is a situation in which the enforcement agency can do whatever the hell it likes with respect to this issue...And all we need to do is make sure that people act in a pure fashion.

I have been.  First, you implied that someone had to be "forcing" an already out of control police agency to listen in on people, which is fucking hilarious.

Then you said that the "necessary option" of proper enforcement was an "option" because people are going to abuse it, because it is a large organization, and therefore will have some bad apples.

So where am I losing the plot, here?
Molon Lube

AFK

Quote from: FRIDAY TIME on August 08, 2013, 03:54:33 PM
Quote from: The End on August 08, 2013, 11:36:50 AM
Quote from: FRIDAY TIME on August 08, 2013, 04:54:49 AM
And you know, he probably is an upstanding, law abiding citizen. But, that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Sure it does, it means we are out there doing what we do to help our communities and keep them safe.  Not going out of our way to make innocent people miserable.  The program outlined in the OP, if accurate, is definitely troubling and not something I support.  It would also be a mistake to think the same for everyone employed by DEA.  It's a big agency with a lot of staff.

Reread the sentence. Being an upstanding, law abiding citizen (not necessarily talking about you, or anyone in the DEA) doesn't mean that you're a good person who's actually helping people. Being upstanding and law abiding just means you're fitting a role. As far as we know, Mitt Romney is an upstanding and law abiding citizen. We also know he's a complete asshole with self-serving interests.

Your baseless assumptions don't mean that I'm not a good person helping people.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The End on August 08, 2013, 04:03:13 PM
And you know, he probably is an upstanding, law abiding citizen. But, that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Sure it does, it means we are out there doing what we do to help our communities and keep them safe.  Not going out of our way to make innocent people miserable.  The program outlined in the OP, if accurate, is definitely troubling and not something I support.  It would also be a mistake to think the same for everyone employed by DEA.  It's a big agency with a lot of staff.

Reread the sentence. Being an upstanding, law abiding citizen (not necessarily talking about you, or anyone in the DEA) doesn't mean that you're a good person who's actually helping people. Being upstanding and law abiding just means you're fitting a role. As far as we know, Mitt Romney is an upstanding and law abiding citizen. We also know he's a complete asshole with self-serving interests.

No, your statist view on everything means you're not a good person helping people.
Molon Lube

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 08, 2013, 04:03:09 PM

I have been.  First, you implied that someone had to be "forcing" an already out of control police agency to listen in on people, which is fucking hilarious.

Then you said that the "necessary option" of proper enforcement was an "option" because people are going to abuse it, because it is a large organization, and therefore will have some bad apples.

I also said people breaking the law should be held accountable and that the DEA should be doing what it does within the law, drug policy should be enforced and enacted equitably.  And by and large I believe it is.  But there are places where it clearly needs to be fixed or enforced better.

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 08, 2013, 04:03:57 PM

No, your statist view on everything means you're not a good person helping people.

I wasn't speaking to you. 

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The End on August 08, 2013, 04:05:50 PM

I also said people breaking the law should be held accountable and that the DEA should be doing what it does within the law, drug policy should be enforced and enacted equitably.  And by and large I believe it is.  But there are places where it clearly needs to be fixed or enforced better.

1.  They're violating the 4th amendment as a matter of policy.  According to article VI, that is the law of the land.  Ergo, the entire organization is in violation.

2.  I know you support it.  I know you believe in it.  Because you don't think other humans can be trusted to operate without oversight in their daily lives.

3.  Great.  So what's your plan to fix violating the 4th amendment? 
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The End on August 08, 2013, 04:06:27 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 08, 2013, 04:03:57 PM

I wasn't speaking to you.

Imagine how horny that makes me.
Molon Lube

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 08, 2013, 04:08:39 PM

1.  They're violating the 4th amendment as a matter of policy.  According to article VI, that is the law of the land.  Ergo, the entire organization is in violation.

2.  I know you support it.  I know you believe in it.  Because you don't think other humans can be trusted to operate without oversight in their daily lives.

I don't share your opinion that they are violating the 4th.

Nephew Twiddleton

What baseless assumption am I making?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

AFK

Assumptions on who I am as a person.  You don't know shit about me.  Just as I don't know shit about any of you.  The internet is a horrible way to get to know someone on any meaningful level.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The End on August 08, 2013, 04:54:42 PM
Assumptions on who I am as a person.  You don't know shit about me.  Just as I don't know shit about any of you.  The internet is a horrible way to get to know someone on any meaningful level.

Yes, yes, you keep saying that last part. Where in that sentence am I making any assumptions about you as a person?

The only thing I said was that I am sure that you are indeed a fine citizen, and that has no actual reflection on who you are as a person.

You then make a baseless assumption that I'm making baseless assumptions about you.

I am making the assumption that you have poor reading comprehension skills, though, that's not baseless so much as evident.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The End on August 08, 2013, 04:17:32 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 08, 2013, 04:08:39 PM

I don't share your opinion that they are violating the 4th.

I know you don't.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

We can only operate on what we see.  You may be a good person deep down inside.  We haven't been exposed to that, so you have been treated, by damn near everyone, as the shitneck you appear to be based on the information available.

It is not our responsibility to somehow divine who you really are.
Molon Lube

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 08, 2013, 05:05:43 PM

We can only operate on what we see.  You may be a good person deep down inside.  We haven't been exposed to that, so you have been treated, by damn near everyone, as the shitneck you appear to be based on the information available.

It is not our responsibility to somehow divine who you really are.

I've been here for 8 years, of course you have.  You are just exercising butthurt selective memory.