News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

Letter to MP regarding sexism

Started by Pæs, August 09, 2013, 10:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

Details should be contained in letter but story here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/9023655/Phil-Goff-slammed-for-sexist-comments

Posted here while I wrote it in case people had feedback, but mostly people were sleeping.

To Hon. Phil Goff, MP

Hi Phil,

I write with concern regarding the comments made in yesterday's (08/08/2013) parliamentary debate which have gained some social media attention and media coverage. I understand that in response to this upset, you have been quoted as explaining "This is a beat-up ... I think it's drawing a long bow" and wanted to attempt to engage with you on why I do not believe this is so. Certainly you have political opponents who are quite happy to exploit this opportunity but please do not let the need to defend yourself prevent you from honestly examining the situation.

In the course of your comments towards The Hon. Chris Finlayson it is my impression that you progressed from making fun of him for being defeated to making fun of him being defeated *by a girl*. The distinction between defeat and defeat at the hands of a woman, with the latter being the most embarrassing, is a trope with a significant presence in our culture and is based on the assumption that the woman is inferior. Typically, the taunt "you were beaten by a girl" is an assault on the opponent's masculinity and contains within it the implication that a woman should not be able to gain success where a male competitor does not.

You are quoted as further explaining "It was just a statement of fact. I could have said 'beaten by a Labour MP on three occasions'. I didn't really think about it."

I think it's important that you think about it. We're all afflicted by biases but where these biases perpetuate harmful stereotypes, it is our social responsibility to reflect on them and consider their origin, especially if our decisions, beliefs and statements have a national audience.

You *could* just as easily have said replaced "woman" with "Labour MP" without having an impact on the validity of the statement (if we were evaluating the sentence on a purely logical level) but you didn't and this is more significant that you seem to imply. The gender of the MPs is not relevant. By mentioning it, you assert its relevance. Comparably, I could say that "I was visited by my neighbour" and give a different impression than if I said that "I was visited by my black neighbour". By making a reference to an attribute of the subject which superficially appears unrelated, you give that reference a great deal of meaning. The way your audience will interpret "beaten by a girl" is informed by how this trope is commonly used, leading to the appearance of an "assault on masculinity" which I referred to earlier.

Sure, it is disappointing to see a member of parliament casually throw away a comment like this, but it's an understandable slip, given the prevalence of this idea in our society. What is most disappointing is the reaction to being called on the inappropriateness of the comment. Something like "I have considered the criticisms levelled at me, understand how I caused offence and will endeavour to keep this in mind in future" would gain a lot more respect and set a much better example than does an immediate rejection of the possibility of wrongdoing.

Please give some thought to your motivations for including a reference to gender in these comments.

Your sincerely,

Paes's real name.

Junkenstein

This is the kind of shit that drives me mad with Politics.

Regardless of where it happens, or who's talking it comes down to a couple of cretins trading shit insults over minutae of personal history. These fucks get paid silly money to do this shit. There's no real performance review, it just about who's got enough cash for the best PR campaign. Meaningful reform and legislation proposed seems to get drowned in layers of monkey screams. It's more important to posture than to convince.

Which is another thing: With all the posturing, "barbs" and shit jokes, do these people actually think they are communicating with each other? As in, actual meaningful communication where ideas are exchanged and developed? What I see is Ideas proposed followed by a popularity contest to see which sounds better for the rest of the room.

If there's anything useful in that, I'm surprised. Bad mood.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

MMIX

Good letter Paes. Just one comment, if you haven't sent it yet
"I think it's important that you think about it." is a lot weaker than his quote which immediately precedes it so maybe
"I think it's important that you DO think about it." might rebalance it

Godd luck
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Cain

You may also want to put in something to the effect that he, as an MP, also represents female constituents, and to consider how this may make him appear to them, and thus effect his subsequent reelection prospects.

Not quite so blatant, of course.  Focus on the honour of representing people in the system (appeal to his ego), but just remind him, ever so subtly, that his power can be revoked if he does not consider the impact of his language on how voters view him.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."