News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

Collection of pics and flyers to poke and nudge folks

Started by McGrupp, August 08, 2013, 05:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I personally think the Turing one to be brilliant.

Junkenstein

The Turing one is great. Thread in general is top notch. Sisyphusssy. Class.

Mcgrupp, you taking requests? If so: Ghandi, Petreaus and MLK give you any ideas? For those 3 you did with actual people, maybe go for accepted popular icons and divert from there?

Idi Amin always gets laughs too.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

McGrupp

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 16, 2013, 09:56:08 PM
The Turing one is great. Thread in general is top notch. Sisyphusssy. Class.

Mcgrupp, you taking requests? If so: Ghandi, Petreaus and MLK give you any ideas? For those 3 you did with actual people, maybe go for accepted popular icons and divert from there?

Idi Amin always gets laughs too.

The Turing one is my favorite of the nothing to hide ones. I actually think I'm done with them for now though. I'm trying to come up with ones more like the dolphin one or the circular reasoning from a book one. Reason being is that I'm not sure the nothing to hide ones really help change anyone's minds, with the exception of the Turing one as it encourages people to look him up.

I figure if people are resistant to idea C then the best way to get them there is a A points to B image that might make them get to C on their own. That way they think it's their idea.

I did make a couple more. I actually took some heat on facebook for the Anne Frank one. I thought to myself, I can totally make one more offensive than that one.

and one that is nonsensical

McGrupp

Oh and feel free to make your own and post them here. The more the merrier.

McGrupp

Pæs

You have a knack for these.

I suggest checking out http://animalstalkinginallcaps.tumblr.com/ for a curated collection of animals seeming to DO things.

Pæs

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pæs on August 17, 2013, 11:12:50 AM

I suggest checking out http://animalstalkinginallcaps.tumblr.com/ for a curated collection of animals seeming to DO things.

I love that tumblr.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: McGrupp on August 17, 2013, 02:05:06 AMI did make a couple more. I actually took some heat on facebook for the Anne Frank one. I thought to myself, I can totally make one more offensive than that one.

How is the Anne Frank image offensive, at all?

I mean the DBZ Goku/time travel/Anne Frank slashfic, that was offensive. And IIRC it was consensual. Um, Anyway,

this pic is pretty straight to the point, it asks two questions, Did Anne Frank have nothing to hide? And if so, did she have nothing to fear?

the only offensive thing here is the situation that allows for this comparison.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

McGrupp

Quote from: Pæs on August 17, 2013, 11:12:50 AM

I'll definitely check that out.

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 17, 2013, 05:00:11 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on August 17, 2013, 02:05:06 AMI did make a couple more. I actually took some heat on facebook for the Anne Frank one. I thought to myself, I can totally make one more offensive than that one.

How is the Anne Frank image offensive, at all?

I mean the DBZ Goku/time travel/Anne Frank slashfic, that was offensive. And IIRC it was consensual. Um, Anyway,

this pic is pretty straight to the point, it asks two questions, Did Anne Frank have nothing to hide? And if so, did she have nothing to fear?

the only offensive thing here is the situation that allows for this comparison.

Yeah it seemed to drive the point home for me. I was a little surprised that people got upset. The nothing to hide argument for me has always been flawed by the unspoken premise that our overlords are benevolent and perfect.

It really only was a couple people and they weren't too upset. The stance they took was that I was using a tragic story to further political ideology. I disagree with this and pointed out they didn't say a damn thing about Alan Turing. I think the holocaust is just a touchy FB subject. I also suspect that what they were really upset about is that it made a valid point against against the nothing to hide argument, which they both adhere to.

But then again, I have a rather wide cross section of politics and religions among my FB friends. It's one of the reasons I go there to rant and put these up, because I think it's a good thing to have an audience where some of them disagree with you. It's made me think about things from time to time and hopefully I've made them think.

McGrupp

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: McGrupp on August 17, 2013, 02:05:06 AM

I did make a couple more. I actually took some heat on facebook for the Anne Frank one. I thought to myself, I can totally make one more offensive than that one.

I just put the Anne Frank one on my FB. I eagerly await the results.

McGrupp

Quote from: Cainad on August 18, 2013, 09:32:25 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on August 17, 2013, 02:05:06 AM

I just put the Anne Frank one on my FB. I eagerly await the results.

:lulz: Nice.

Quote from: TALK TO ME ABOUT YOUR GENITALS on August 18, 2013, 07:18:10 PM
:lol: I love the cat one.

Thanks. I'm going to try to make more of the extremely cute and apologetic animals bear us horrible news series.

LMNO

The apologies really seal it up, IMO. It's not bombastic, it's apologetic and kind of silly. But the point was absorbed.