News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

RWHN Appreciation Poll

Started by Ben Shapiro, August 11, 2013, 10:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much do you love RWHN?

5, I'd totally suck his dick, or have his babies.
4 (25%)
4, I'd write him in my will, but lie about it.
3 (18.8%)
3, Who?
3 (18.8%)
2, I like him more than Holist.
7 (43.8%)
1, I rather watch my mother beg for her life than praise him.
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: August 18, 2013, 10:00:05 PM

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 12, 2013, 04:41:19 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2013, 04:38:00 PM
Please note that TGRR is responsible for this thread, even though it was started by someone else.  Mind control lasers, doncha know.

This is because TGRR is responsible for everything, and if someone feels uncomfortable about the sheer mass of bullshit coming down on RWHN with his full cooperation, it is best to blame TGRR, who made everyone do it.

Even though RWHN himself is blaming Nigel, who also didn't start this thread. :lol:

Well, we're bad people.  We MAKE other people do things.

So of course we're responsible.
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

Please note that TGRR is responsible for this thread, even though it was started by someone else.  Mind control lasers, doncha know.

This is because TGRR is responsible for everything, and if someone feels uncomfortable about the sheer mass of bullshit coming down on RWHN with his full cooperation, it is best to blame TGRR, who made everyone do it.

Even though RWHN himself is blaming Nigel, who also didn't start this thread. :lol:

I thought RWHN is blaming bearman and stelz for falling for your peer pressure, not you for exerting it?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on August 12, 2013, 04:51:15 PM

I thought RWHN is blaming bearman and stelz for falling for your peer pressure, not you for exerting it?

Uh uh.  MIND LAZORS.
Molon Lube

AFK

You are getting closer.  But it is understandable, everyone wants to feel included in some kind of group.  Belonging is a very powerful force in humans.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 05:06:00 PM

You are getting closer.  But it is understandable, everyone wants to feel included in some kind of group.  Belonging is a very powerful force in humans.

Nobody actually disagrees with RWHN.  It's just HIVEMIND.
Molon Lube

AFK

Who said anything about this having to do anything with disagreeing?  This thread isn't about disagreeing with me, it's someone wanting to be cool.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 05:09:26 PM
Who said anything about this having to do anything with disagreeing?  This thread isn't about disagreeing with me, it's someone wanting to be cool.

Gee, I've known Bearman for about a year on Facebook, and he has spent the entire time I've known him poking stuffed shirts like yourself.

But who am I to argue with RWHN, who knows everything about everyone, despite "the internet being a shitty way to get to know someone", or words to that effect.

Face it, dumbass, you're just not a likeable guy.
Molon Lube

Triple Zero

Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 12, 2013, 03:54:52 AM
I AM THE PERSON WHO GIVES PEOPLE JACKETS. IF YOU WANT TO BE WARM AND COMFORTABLE YOU MUST PLEASE ME.

FOR SOME REASON I AM LESS POPULAR DURING THE SUMMER.

I still have your T-shirt, does that count too?

(you weren't kidding about them being high quality shirts, I've been wearing the shit out of it over the years, lately mostly to sleep in, and it's still strong as fuck, great shirt :) )
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2013, 05:12:48 PM

Gee, I've known Bearman for about a year on Facebook, and he has spent the entire time I've known him poking stuffed shirts like yourself.

But who am I to argue with RWHN, who knows everything about everyone, despite "the internet being a shitty way to get to know someone", or words to that effect.

HE'S THE BEST MAINE HAS TO OFFER!

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: /b/earman on August 12, 2013, 07:58:39 PM

HE'S THE BEST MAINE HAS TO OFFER!

I prefer Stephen King.

He'd rather cook up stories about how me and Bearman are DESPERATELY TRYING TO FIT IN.
I mean, we're such TYPICAL Texans.
It's all about CONFORMING.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Doktor Howl

Quote from: stelz on August 12, 2013, 08:08:11 PM
He'd rather cook up stories about how me and Bearman are DESPERATELY TRYING TO FIT IN.
I mean, we're such TYPICAL Texans.
It's all about CONFORMING.

Beats thinking, right?
Molon Lube

Ben Shapiro

Stella, and me are secretly building a leather jacket shrine here in Texas's biggest parking lot; also known as "Dallas".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 12, 2013, 06:08:45 PM
Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 12, 2013, 03:54:52 AM
I AM THE PERSON WHO GIVES PEOPLE JACKETS. IF YOU WANT TO BE WARM AND COMFORTABLE YOU MUST PLEASE ME.

FOR SOME REASON I AM LESS POPULAR DURING THE SUMMER.

I still have your T-shirt, does that count too?

(you weren't kidding about them being high quality shirts, I've been wearing the shit out of it over the years, lately mostly to sleep in, and it's still strong as fuck, great shirt :) )

That's rad!  My kid stole mine, and wears it to school sometimes. Oddly, nobody has said anything about the profanity.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Uh oh
http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/08/online-comment-systems-reveal-multiple-layers-of-social-bias/

QuoteComments that were randomly selected to get an upvote were much more likely to also be upvoted by subsequent users; the first user to see a positively manipulated comment was 32 percent more likely to upvote it themselves as well, compared to a comment in the control group. By the end of the 5-month study, the comments in the positive treatment group had ratings 25 percent higher than those in the control group. The researchers refer to this phenomenon as "positive herding behavior," which essentially means that users tended to jump on the upvoting bandwagon, helping these comments accumulate positive ratings.

In the negative treatment group, the results were a bit different. Just as in the positively manipulated group, the comments that the researchers downvoted were also more likely to be downvoted by subsequent users. However, these downvotes were offset by what's called a "correction effect"—the negatively manipulated comments were also more likely to receive positive ratings down the line.

Raters were nearly twice as likely to upvote a comment in the negative treatment group compared to the control group, suggesting that crowd correction can effectively neutralize one or a few negative ratings if they are undeserved. Thanks to this correction, the researchers didn't see any "herding behavior" in the negative direction on downvoted comments, and the final score of these negatively manipulated comments didn't significantly differ from the control group by the end of the study.

Obviously, comments that are particularly insightful, creative, or high-quality will certainly fare differently, as will those that are simply trolling. But thanks the large-scale, randomized design of this study, we can get an idea of the role that social bias plays without having to consider the quality of each post.

Overall, the researchers think there are three main phenomena that contribute to these findings. First, both experimental conditions increased turnout; in other words, a comment that is rated once is more likely to be rated again, no matter the type of vote it has received. Second, seeing an upvote does help users develop a positive opinion, especially if the user doesn't have much prior experience with the comment's author. Finally, users on the site had a natural tendency to upvote rather than downvote.

b...b...but that doesn't fit with RWHN's notions of why people don't care for him very much here! NOW WHAT?

(full study requires account http://www.sciencemag.org/content/341/6146/647)
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."