News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

Um

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, August 14, 2013, 01:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cainad (dec.)

Holy shitgargling fuck. :eek:

Suu

Why the fuck didn't they call the cops?!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Aucoq

Holy shit that's creepy as hell.
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

I_Kicked_Kennedy

Looks like the D-Link DCS-5000 series... not sure of the exact part number, since it's all white. Must be an older model. The newer ones (the 5020 and the 5010) are black, or white with a black pivot. My guess is, if it's not one of D-Link's, it's a knockoff by one of their piss brands. "DCS" is their Cloud Series.

Let me tell you more about the D-Link cloud series cams and why you should be more alarmed at how foolish people are with internet and personal security, than with the "hacking." I have my own personal security and surveillance system that I've successfully designed... and by "successfully designed", I mean, "Fucked it up 99 times, and fixed it 100". I had considered a set of the D-Link DCS series because they were cheap as hell, and had decent res, and sound capability. I took one off the shelf at Radio Shack, looked at the package for 5 minutes, and said FUCK THAT. I nearly shit my pants in laughter when the sales rep came over and said it was their best seller.

These cameras are designed with the consumer in mind, in that, they are keeping mind of the consumer at all times. "It's so easy to setup!" Well, of course it is. I won't bore you with too many specifics, but the numero uno red fucking flag is the camera will not work without an internet connection. No, I don't mean "network connection", it requires an "internet connection." Now, their selling point is that it offers you easy access to these cameras from anywhere in the world using your iPhone. Well, anyone who knows your email, and does the password recovery process knowing your mother's maiden name and your first pet (ie. people who know you well, and are more likely than strangers to want to spy on your shit) download's the app, signs in, watch your kids, and yes... control the camera. It's bush league, and these people should really consider their purchases better. Not that this excuses the behavior of some sick fuck, i'm just hoping people aren't "O' Lawd! Ennis-A be hacking ma beh-beh!"

If you want to use a digital video baby monitor, do not use anything that requires the internet. There's no one-way streets in the digital world. If you're doing personal surveillance for your home, treat every camera like a gun: Never point it at something you don't want to shoot, and never put it where others can get it (simply, do not hook your cameras to the same network that has your internet connected, and never ever ever ever use wireless, unless it's encrypted signal).
If I had a million dollars, I'd put it all in a sensible mutual fund.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Ben Shapiro

Pæs

Quote from: I_Kicked_Kennedy on August 14, 2013, 05:10:31 AM
STUFF
Yeah, a frightening number of internet-connected cameras, microphones, printers, etc, are actually indexed by Google meaning bored script kiddies can Google "LOLBABYMONITORS" and connect to them with minimal effort.

Cain

Yeah.  There is a website which indexes public security cameras, which I used to go on sometimes when I was exceedingly bored.  It doesn't surprise me that some moron would think allowing streaming internet access to a baby monitor would be a good idea.

Faust

Quote from: Carlos Danger on August 14, 2013, 11:26:41 AM
Yeah.  There is a website which indexes public security cameras, which I used to go on sometimes when I was exceedingly bored.  It doesn't surprise me that some moron would think allowing streaming internet access to a baby monitor would be a good idea.

And here's an index of every connected publicly discoverable device http://www.shodanhq.com/

Printing off documents in an office somewhere seems like it has the potential for hilarity.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Junkenstein

Quote from: Faust on August 14, 2013, 12:57:52 PM
Quote from: Carlos Danger on August 14, 2013, 11:26:41 AM

And here's an index of every connected publicly discoverable device http://www.shodanhq.com/

Printing off documents in an office somewhere seems like it has the potential for hilarity.

This has given me ideas. Many ideas. Thanks Faust, will have a look at that!
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.