News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

The pool on the roof...

Started by Bruno, August 17, 2013, 08:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

is a Doctor Who reference, right?

Or is the 1987 episode Paradise Towers also a reference to something else?

Possibly something having to do with the 87 stock market crash which occurred during the time Paradise Towers was being aired?

or  :?
Formerly something else...

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

My vote is a 'Hackers' reference.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Bruno

Cain

It's a reference to there being a pool.

On the roof.

Bruno

Is there a robotic crab in the pool?

There is. Isn't there. :scared:

Triple Zero

... wait a minute, it's still on fire, isn't it?

I know, I know, because of what happened shortly after (during) the other party, the poodles went extinct and now you can't buy a garden-hose anywhere without a license.

Still, a pool is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ON FIRE.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

QuoteStill, a pool is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ON FIRE.

The roof is, though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bruno

McGrupp

If I'm not mistaken the pool on the roof was first referenced in the Code of Urukagina a Sumerian stone fragment dating back to 2400 BC.  It is a law code from the City-State of Lagash shortly before they lost a border skirmish with Uruk.

The pool is mentioned briefly right before 'the rich must use silver when purchasing from the poor' but after the proper instructions for ritual food and drink libations.

I hope this helps.

Bruno

Quote from: McGrupp on August 17, 2013, 10:13:31 PM
If I'm not mistaken the pool on the roof was first referenced in the Code of Urukagina a Sumerian stone fragment dating back to 2400 BC.  It is a law code from the City-State of Lagash shortly before they lost a border skirmish with Uruk.

The pool is mentioned briefly right before 'the rich must use silver when purchasing from the poor' but after the proper instructions for ritual food and drink libations.

I hope this helps.

Hmmm... One of the guys I work with at work is Sumerian.

I'll have to ask him about that.

Pæs

Quote from: McGrupp on August 17, 2013, 10:13:31 PM

I hope this helps.

The "pool on the roof" interpretation of the Code of Urukagina is a controversial subject among academics. Some contest that a more literal translation reads "there is an ocean above the city" and that this is not so much a part of the law as a reference to a widely-known myth among the Sumerians of a sunken city and those that dwell there. This myth is invoked as justification for the codes of law that follow and was actually the inspiration for the Cthulhu mythos.

Telarus

I found a playable set of The Game of Ur (Or, "Race the chariots up the stairway to the pool on the roof"), which you can play here:

http://www.yourturnmyturn.com/java/ur/index.php

Could this be a reference?
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Faust

Sylvester McCoy's run was terrific, even Mel. There I said it, it cant be undone.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Bruno

Quote from: Faust on August 18, 2013, 11:21:18 PM
Sylvester McCoy's run was terrific, even Mel. There I said it, it cant be undone.

It was very 1980's. Dr. Who episodes get better with age, I think.

As an American, the "foreignness" of it enhances the alien, or perception of space in relation to the episode. Similarly as with age of the episode, and the concept of time.

Also, the resurrection, or, regeneration of the series is all meta with fractal universes and shit.

The final episode was amazingly terrible. It was an epic tragedy of an example of what happens when financial entropy engulfs a fictional universe.

Basically, everybody just goes "derp" a lot, and does things FOR NO RAISIN!