News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

Why you think the world is shittier than it really is.

Started by AFK, August 19, 2013, 02:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Balls Wellington on August 21, 2013, 02:30:39 AM
I'd say he's pulled off an inspired bit of trolling, getting anyone to believe there's a woman out there that would actually agree to marry him. :lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

AFK

East Coast Hustle

Yes, yes...tell me more about your amazing and totally real fiancee. :lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Freeky

He's only been dating this chick a month, hasn't he?  Well, claimed to have done so.  I mean, really? 

Really?

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Kai on August 22, 2013, 12:18:48 PM
Quote from: NEVER FEAR LOVE! on August 22, 2013, 04:11:20 AM
I would be interested in that.  There is no reason the article can't actually be discussed.

No thanks. I'm not a sucker.

I was actually looking forward to discussing the OP article as well, but now i've spent almost an hour reading up on a strangers fictional love life. If i wanted to do that, i'd get into twilight.  :argh!:
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Chelagoras The Boulder

Actually fuck it, here goes. I liked how the article pointed out a perceptual bias towards focusing on the negative aspects of things. Human history has been one long struggle to make things less shitty for the next generation and no matter how much progress we make, we will always see the flaws in the world around us first, because ultimately that's what keeps US working towards making the NEXT generations world less shitty.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

tyrannosaurus vex

I don't think it's as simple as confirmation bias or optimism/pessimism. It isn't so much a "glass is half empty" vs. "glass is half full"  thing, so much as a "um.. guys... this glass is half full... of piss" thing.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: V3X on August 26, 2013, 07:03:47 AM
I don't think it's as simple as confirmation bias or optimism/pessimism. It isn't so much a "glass is half empty" vs. "glass is half full"  thing, so much as a "um.. guys... this glass is half full... of piss" thing.

Funny thing about piss, if you drink it, it can keep you alive a little longer so you can get yourself to some water.

Quote from: V3X on August 20, 2013, 03:22:03 AM
Quote from: The End on August 19, 2013, 02:17:42 PM
http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reasons-news-looks-worse-than-it-really-is/

WELL! That's a load off my mind, for sure!

You hear that? We've arrived! The world now features 100% more unicorns shitting rainbows all over everything!

Such a relief. I guess I can stop worrying about stuff now. Good to know we've beaten poverty, disease, injustice, starvation, war, famine, inequality, ignorance, violence, racism, sexism, and totalitarianism. Guess we can all just go back to sleep. Hell, we even have flying cars now, so I guess that's it. Call it a wrap! The future is here, and it's better than you ever thought it would be!

Yes, you're right, we haven't defeated all those things and we probably never will in our lifetime, yet while cynicism is a great tool for helping us to recognize problems it is the shittiest possible attitude to have for going about about fixing them. The article talks about how optimism isn't simply sitting around hoping things will turn out alright, it's looking at the things you can do to help solve them. An entire generation of Darias is great for making us aware of problems the world over, but there's a reason that series didn't end with Daria making huge meaningful changes in the world. Because the Darias of the world see all problems as huge insurmountable things that they can only bitch about cause What's the Point in Trying Anyway?

Salty

I'm all for drinking piss to survive, I'm just not so keen on people telling me it's lemonade their shoving down my throat when I'm not thirsty.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

AFK

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on August 26, 2013, 06:48:37 AM
I would be interested in that.  There is no reason the article can't actually be discussed.

I was actually looking forward to discussing the OP article as well, but now i've spent almost an hour reading up on a strangers fictional love life. If i wanted to do that, i'd get into twilight.  :argh!:

If it were fictional I would at least set it up so she lived 5 miles away as opposed to 40.  Gas is expensive these days, not to mention the tolls.

AFK

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on August 26, 2013, 07:15:24 AM
Quote from: V3X on August 26, 2013, 07:03:47 AM

Funny thing about piss, if you drink it, it can keep you alive a little longer so you can get yourself to some water.

Quote from: V3X on August 20, 2013, 03:22:03 AM
Quote from: The End on August 19, 2013, 02:17:42 PM
http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reasons-news-looks-worse-than-it-really-is/

WELL! That's a load off my mind, for sure!

You hear that? We've arrived! The world now features 100% more unicorns shitting rainbows all over everything!

Such a relief. I guess I can stop worrying about stuff now. Good to know we've beaten poverty, disease, injustice, starvation, war, famine, inequality, ignorance, violence, racism, sexism, and totalitarianism. Guess we can all just go back to sleep. Hell, we even have flying cars now, so I guess that's it. Call it a wrap! The future is here, and it's better than you ever thought it would be!

Yes, you're right, we haven't defeated all those things and we probably never will in our lifetime, yet while cynicism is a great tool for helping us to recognize problems it is the shittiest possible attitude to have for going about about fixing them. The article talks about how optimism isn't simply sitting around hoping things will turn out alright, it's looking at the things you can do to help solve them. An entire generation of Darias is great for making us aware of problems the world over, but there's a reason that series didn't end with Daria making huge meaningful changes in the world. Because the Darias of the world see all problems as huge insurmountable things that they can only bitch about cause What's the Point in Trying Anyway?

Yes to all of this! 

AFK

We will never acheive the ideal world for everyone.  But we also have to remember, as pointed out in the article, our Western ideal of an ideal world is not shared by everyone.  Moreover, if we cannot recognize and celebrate the small victories, it will slow advances.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: NEVER FEAR LOVE! on August 26, 2013, 02:05:20 PM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on August 26, 2013, 06:48:37 AM

If it were fictional I would at least set it up so she lived 5 miles away as opposed to 40.  Gas is expensive these days, not to mention the tolls.

Fictional gas is cheap  :lulz: