News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Why you think the world is shittier than it really is.

Started by AFK, August 19, 2013, 02:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Listen up, douchbebag:  Just because a group of people tend to look at the darker/funnier sort of things doesn't mean they're doom and gloom all the time.  You're the one who's always telling everyone that the internet is a shitty way to know someone, yet you're the one who's always telling us what we REALLY think.

Well, I'll give you this one for free:  You're an asshole.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Johnny

Quote from:  cracked#7. We Are Only Happy if Other People Aren't
#6. We Insist on Comparing Our World to an Imaginary One That Exists Only in Our Heads
#5. We Focus on the Negative Byproducts of Wonderful Trends
#4. The Things We Hate and the Things We Aspire to Are the Same Things
#3. We Don't Recognize That Flaws Are Just Alternatives to Much Worse Flaws
#2. With People More Powerful Than Us, We Only Count the Bad Things They Do
#1. We Want the World to Be Bad Because It Gives Us an Excuse to Withdraw from It

Gee, talk about assuming and profiling humanity in a retardedly simplistic manner... also, god forbid we have imagination to see beyond what "is" and into "what is possible"... "things we hate = things we aspire"  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: so sorry for not being a free market randite!!!...

So everything falls in line with your discourse trends Mr. RWHN, a mindless apologist of current laws (without any sense of the meaning behind them) and the status quo, an apologist to the hoarding plutocrats and a "happy" shit-grin to top it off.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: The End on August 19, 2013, 02:17:42 PM
http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reasons-news-looks-worse-than-it-really-is/

WELL! That's a load off my mind, for sure!

You hear that? We've arrived! The world now features 100% more unicorns shitting rainbows all over everything!

Such a relief. I guess I can stop worrying about stuff now. Good to know we've beaten poverty, disease, injustice, starvation, war, famine, inequality, ignorance, violence, racism, sexism, and totalitarianism. Guess we can all just go back to sleep. Hell, we even have flying cars now, so I guess that's it. Call it a wrap! The future is here, and it's better than you ever thought it would be!

Actually, there's got to be something that still plagues humanity. I mean, the world can't be PERFECT yet, can it? But if it's none of the above, I just don't know what it could be. What, out of all the things that have terrorized humanity and ruined lives for our entire existence, is still left to fight off? With everything worth fighting already vanquished, whatever will we fill our prisons with? What do we need SWAT teams for? We can't just disband them. Surely there must be SOMETHING to use all that stuff for. Maybe RWHN knows.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Though, I got a kick out of it. And I can see some of those traits applying to him.

AFK

Quote from: V3X on August 20, 2013, 03:22:03 AM

You hear that? We've arrived! The world now features 100% more unicorns shitting rainbows all over everything!

Such a relief. I guess I can stop worrying about stuff now. Good to know we've beaten poverty, disease, injustice, starvation, war, famine, inequality, ignorance, violence, racism, sexism, and totalitarianism. Guess we can all just go back to sleep. Hell, we even have flying cars now, so I guess that's it. Call it a wrap! The future is here, and it's better than you ever thought it would be!

Actually, there's got to be something that still plagues humanity. I mean, the world can't be PERFECT yet, can it? But if it's none of the above, I just don't know what it could be. What, out of all the things that have terrorized humanity and ruined lives for our entire existence, is still left to fight off? With everything worth fighting already vanquished, whatever will we fill our prisons with? What do we need SWAT teams for? We can't just disband them. Surely there must be SOMETHING to use all that stuff for. Maybe RWHN knows.

You didn't read the article.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The End on August 20, 2013, 04:35:03 AM
Quote from: V3X on August 20, 2013, 03:22:03 AM

You didn't read the article.

Funny, that.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Nephew Twiddleton

Ah. You need an account. Well, I'll see what I can manage at work tomorrow.

AFK

Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 20, 2013, 04:39:16 AM
Quote from: The End on August 20, 2013, 04:37:38 AM
Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 20, 2013, 04:16:05 AM
Quote from: Net on August 20, 2013, 03:38:11 AM

Why you think the world is better than it really is:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1540-4560.1975.tb00997.x/abstract

He probably won't read it.

It's only an abstract.  Someone post up the full article and I'll read it.

On the right side of the screen it says, Article Tools: Get PDF.

Have you never gotten an article before?

Yes I have assface, when I click on this it says I need to buy it.  Again, it's only an abstract.