From the Desk of TGRR; Corporate Life in the 21st Century (blog)

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, August 21, 2013, 05:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: V3X on August 30, 2013, 07:17:45 PM
:lulz:

The company's organizational matrix must be preserved! If you start doing things right just because they work better that way, what'll that say about the whole department whose job is to decide who gets to do what? You have to consider these things.

I don't understand why this plant hasn't imploded into a small, hyper-dense point of stupidity.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 30, 2013, 07:08:54 PM
Mike is now telling the boss that the failure of the ball mill is my fault, on account of I didn't stop him from doing stupid shit, because I was ordered to not interfere.

My boss didn't buy it, and yelled a lot.  Then he walked down the hallway yelling some more.  His office door slammed shut.  More yelling, the sound of a laptop hitting the wall.

Door opens back up, yelling at Mike to get into his office.  Mike goes in, door slams.  More yelling.  Mike trying to shout his explanations over the yelling.  Boss turns into Dennis Leary throwing a wobbler.  Mike leaves office, gets into truck, drives away.  Boss drags me into the office, yells a lot about Mike, then tells me Mike has been suspended for a few days.

When Jim stops for breath, I ask him if we'll be doing my plan now.  No.  Mike is project manager.  I look at Jim funny, he starts yelling again, stomps across his ruined laptop, and out to his car, drives away.

Well, then.

I work in an insane asylum.  Help me.

I actually think he's right. If mike is imploding so badly right now everyone who touches his toxic mess could end up tied into it when the board or whoever your plant answer two. Jim obviously values you enough not get dragged down. In fact from the sounds of things letting mike keep going the way he's going means his remaining time could be very short.

Another fuck up could be expensive, but it could also be cheaper in the long run to let it happen and get rid of mike now.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on August 30, 2013, 07:55:56 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 30, 2013, 07:08:54 PM
Mike is now telling the boss that the failure of the ball mill is my fault, on account of I didn't stop him from doing stupid shit, because I was ordered to not interfere.

My boss didn't buy it, and yelled a lot.  Then he walked down the hallway yelling some more.  His office door slammed shut.  More yelling, the sound of a laptop hitting the wall.

Door opens back up, yelling at Mike to get into his office.  Mike goes in, door slams.  More yelling.  Mike trying to shout his explanations over the yelling.  Boss turns into Dennis Leary throwing a wobbler.  Mike leaves office, gets into truck, drives away.  Boss drags me into the office, yells a lot about Mike, then tells me Mike has been suspended for a few days.

When Jim stops for breath, I ask him if we'll be doing my plan now.  No.  Mike is project manager.  I look at Jim funny, he starts yelling again, stomps across his ruined laptop, and out to his car, drives away.

Well, then.

I work in an insane asylum.  Help me.

I actually think he's right. If mike is imploding so badly right now everyone who touches his toxic mess could end up tied into it when the board or whoever your plant answer two. Jim obviously values you enough not get dragged down. In fact from the sounds of things letting mike keep going the way he's going means his remaining time could be very short.

Another fuck up could be expensive, but it could also be cheaper in the long run to let it happen and get rid of mike now.

Point.  The $15 Mn kiln project kicks off in a couple of months.

As it stands, I am predicting failure on a "who didn't put a fucking piece of grating over the death star heat vent" scale.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 30, 2013, 06:24:53 PM
7 sacked today. 1 redundancy, 3 for various gross misconduct and 3 for stupidity. Today has been a very angry day.

And yet, the stooges walked away clean. I'm wavering between admiration and disgust.

How.  How, I ask, does the guy who gave the orders, in spite of cautions against doing so, not get fired?

The Good Reverend Roger

So I gave Tiny Killer Neckbeard a week's worth of programming tasks, this morning.  Somewhat useful stuff, but mostly a way to keep the little bastard from getting bored, since he already completed the first month's worth of shit in a couple of days.

He finished the tasks in about 7 hours, fully documented and archived.  And the shit works.  And it's tight, elegant stuff.

Then he figures out that electrical drawings are basically ladder logic, and troubleshoots a gremlin we've had running around in Tunnel Kiln number one since about 2009.

He scares me.  I shall call an exorcist.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 31, 2013, 05:25:36 AM
So I gave Tiny Killer Neckbeard a week's worth of programming tasks, this morning.  Somewhat useful stuff, but mostly a way to keep the little bastard from getting bored, since he already completed the first month's worth of shit in a couple of days.

He finished the tasks in about 7 hours, fully documented and archived.  And the shit works.  And it's tight, elegant stuff.

Then he figures out that electrical drawings are basically ladder logic, and troubleshoots a gremlin we've had running around in Tunnel Kiln number one since about 2009.

:lulz: I knew I liked that boy from the moment you told me about him. NOBODY walks dying distance in Tucson for a job interview.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on August 31, 2013, 05:40:11 AM

:lulz: I knew I liked that boy from the moment you told me about him. NOBODY walks dying distance in Tucson for a job interview.

This is why I think he's a robot of some sort.  A boneless robot that flops in his chair like Stephen Hawking and fixes everything.

It's not right.  Something is up.  Tucson doesn't send you people like this unless there's some horrible underlying motive.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 31, 2013, 05:47:36 AM
Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on August 31, 2013, 05:40:11 AM

This is why I think he's a robot of some sort.  A boneless robot that flops in his chair like Stephen Hawking and fixes everything.

It's not right.  Something is up.  Tucson doesn't send you people like this unless there's some horrible underlying motive.

Or he was a very very very bad person.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Reverend What's His Bear on August 31, 2013, 05:51:59 AM

Or he was a very very very bad person.

If he was that bad, he'd be in Seguin.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Maybe the motive is that you are both, together, going to build a terrifying Tucson maintenance empire?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

tyrannosaurus vex

I can only imagine what would happen if two competent people ran around Tucson fixing stuff...
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The Good Reverend Roger

LMNO